ID help: 9830/9831 KHz digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me who uses 9830 and 9831 KHz? It sounds like RTTY and it sounds like there are 2 different stations on 9830 KHz and 9831 KHz.

They are very strong.... S9+

I've been listening for the past 10 minutes and it has not stopped.

These stations were heard around 1705 UTC on 3-13-16.

Thanks in advance!

IcomIcR20

Token

Since you posted this question I have regularly been looking at the 9830 area to see if I could ID this station. What I have found, in about 4 days of off and on looking, is no RTTY like signal on or near this frequency. A recording would really help.

This freq is in a SW BC band, and data transmissions here are not the norm. That does not mean they do not happen, but they are less likely.

You describe the signal as very strong. What is the possibility this is an image freq or a signal overloading your receiver and showing up on a freq other than its actual freq? You did not say what kind of RX you are using, but this is particularly common when using a portable receiver and an external antenna.

T!

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
It could be an image, but I'm using a base ICOM radio that was loaned to me, not a portable.... I have heard this digital before this as well... a quick internet search turned up nothing. I'm just using some copper wire in the attic as an antenna.... I just found it odd that there was digital in the SWBC band and was wondering if anyone knew who was using it.

Sorry, but I do not have a recording.

Token: I know that you are very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I'm still in the early learning stages of HF utility monitoring. So, again, sorry that I could not provide more information. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

IcomIcR20

Token

Well, the good news is it is not an image.

This morning I was finally able to catch the signal I think you mean. However I did not have two signals, rather only one. The shift is 850 Hz, and might account for the two signals you are reporting.

Center freq 9830 kHz, 850 Hz shift, 75 Bd (this would put a tone on 9829.575 kHz and another on 9830.425 kHz). Looks to be encrypted, but I never got the KG84 headers clearly because of the Broadcast station dead smack in the middle on 9830 kHz.

At a guess US mil or NATO Forces using STANAG 4481 FSK, but since I never got the headers that is only a guess. Since this is a pasted used USN freq I would lean in that direction, USN/USCG.

T!

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
It could be an image, but I'm using a base ICOM radio that was loaned to me, not a portable.... I have heard this digital before this as well... a quick internet search turned up nothing. I'm just using some copper wire in the attic as an antenna.... I just found it odd that there was digital in the SWBC band and was wondering if anyone knew who was using it.

Sorry, but I do not have a recording.

Token: I know that you are very knowledgeable about this stuff, but I'm still in the early learning stages of HF utility monitoring. So, again, sorry that I could not provide more information. Thank you for taking the time to respond!

IcomIcR20
can you take an video and post it on youtube........

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks!

Well, the good news is it is not an image.

This morning I was finally able to catch the signal I think you mean. However I did not have two signals, rather only one. The shift is 850 Hz, and might account for the two signals you are reporting.

Center freq 9830 kHz, 850 Hz shift, 75 Bd (this would put a tone on 9829.575 kHz and another on 9830.425 kHz). Looks to be encrypted, but I never got the KG84 headers clearly because of the Broadcast station dead smack in the middle on 9830 kHz.

At a guess US mil or NATO Forces using STANAG 4481 FSK, but since I never got the headers that is only a guess. Since this is a pasted used USN freq I would lean in that direction, USN/USCG.

T!

Thank you for your help! Yes, you would be correct, only one signal.... my mistake.

I have always been curious about who the user of this freq. was.

Again thank you for the assistance!

IcomIcR20

Status
Not open for further replies.