Looking for windows 7 morse code decoding software

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon48

Right now, I've got a pretty low-tech way to capture morse code. I use my iPhones built in app - Voice Memos, to record morse signals directly from my radio. I then have the option of emailing myself the sound clips.

Can somebody direct me to some good (hopefully free, but I'll consider paying a small price) software that can decode the signals from the audio files.

I found some programs on the net, but they require a Mic to capture the signals and I don't have one.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes, I think FLdigi will do it (on a PC), however...

Most programs that say they decode CW have a hard time when a different style of sending (hams call it a 'fist') is being used. In addition, any noise or propagation issues might fool the decoder

That being said, I understand CW Skimmer is excellent .....

DX Atlas: Amateur Radio software

Mike

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
I use FLdigi... it is not perfect, but it works fairly well on fairly strong signals. It also decodes many other digital modes.

IcomIcR20

Last edited:

a417

Have you checked if they will take an input from Virtual Audio Cable?

Sent via Tapatalk

I believe that with the hardware abstraction layer being where VAC resides, and does it's dirty work, that any program that requires a mic will accept input from it. The only exception I can think of is some awful, one-off which was hardcoded to look for a particular input.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Using FLDigi outside of the ham bands will have rather limited usefulness, as the modes hams used aren't used elsewhere (for the most part). MultiPSK and Sigmira are 2 very fine programs that handle lots of different modes, including morse code

See the link in my sig for the links to these packages...Mike

Dantian

Using FLDigi outside of the ham bands will have rather limited usefulness, as the modes hams used aren't used elsewhere (for the most part)

VOA Radiogram uses those modes outside of the ham bands. FLDigi is what they recommend, at least during this phase of the experimental program.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
True, but it isn't the only package that can cover both modes...this is a little OT here, as the original post was about copying morse code (CW).

Back on topic, please...Mike

majoco

Stirrer
Why not learn morse code using the Mk1 earhole? Works much better than any software when the going gets tough.

GB46

I use HamScope for monitoring amateur CW, and also for maritime bulletins from KPH in San Francisco at 8.942 Mhz. Weak and fading signals may produce gibberish, of course. The software works through a PC's soundcard; just connect your receiver's audio output to the mike input on the PC, preferably through the radio's tape recording jack, if available.

The program is also good for amateur RTTY, for which you need to download MMTTY and place its .EXE file in HamScope's program folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.