27.045 using 1200 baud Packet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC1

I found some interference between channels 7 and 8 on the CB. I took out my shortwave radio and found the transmission to be on 27.045 MHz, which I know is an RC frequency. From what I can tell, it really sounds much like Packet at 1200 baud, or something extremely similar in nature.

The sounds were not anything for a remote control because I could hear someone answering back just above the noise floor using the same mode. I was most definitely a conversation using a digital mode. One station was very close by due to the strong solid signal, and the other was a good distance because it was barely audible. I was only using the telescopic whip on the radio, so the 2nd station still had to be fairly close but was not detectable at times.

My question is: what do I need to decode the transmission? I have a shortwave radio and a computer running Vista. Hopefully all I need is a software program and a cable plugged into my microphone jack from the radio.

Since the signal is so strong, can I hook up my computer to a HT CB (using the jacks) to transmit "KNOCK IT OFF" using Packet? lol

If I can hook it up to the CB it would be better because I do hear this from time to time on other channels, however, if all I can do is monitor and decode that would be just fine as well.

Any ideas that do not involve making new equipment purchases?

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Call me what you want but I have seen in other post SHADY PERSON asking about same type comms claiming to be in another country but I say look at the terror groups looking to communicate with out being monitored.

nd5y

A few CBers and freebanders have been using packet radio, and other digital modes commonly used in ham radio, for a long time. I heard packet on CB and freeband channels back in the mid 1980s.
Search for "sound card packet", "packet radio sound card interface", and "ham radio digital mode software" and you will probably find something.
There used to be some free ham radio packet software but I haven't messed with that for years. I always used a Kantronics KAM TNC (expensive) and MixW software (expensive) but I don't have HF at all now and haven't kept up with it recently.

Last edited:

NC1

Call me what you want but I have seen in other post SHADY PERSON asking about same type comms claiming to be in another country but I say look at the terror groups looking to communicate with out being monitored.

That is along the same lines of what crossed my mind too.
Chances are it's just two people messing around, BUT, as you mentioned there are people who could use it for "not so innocent" purposes.

I figure if I decode it, then I should get a better idea of the situation.

NC1

A few CBers and freebanders have been using packet radio TNCs for a long time. I heard them back in the mid 1980s.
Search for "sound card packet", "packet radio sound card interface", and "ham radio digital mode software" and you will probably find something.
There used to be some free ham radio packet software but I haven't messed with that for years. I always used a Kantronics KAM TNC (expensive) and MixW software (expensive) but I don't have HF at all now and haven't kept up with it recently.

Thanks for the direction on searching, I did not think of using those phrases. Something should turn up.

I had used PC Pakratt back in the day when it was popular, but I sold my TNC due to not many other people using them in my area. I also let my Amateur radio license expire after I moved to an area where there was almost nobody at all using the local repeaters. I do plan on getting it back shortly and get into HF. That's where all the activity really seems to be now.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This has nothing at all to do with SDRs, so I've requested it to be moved...

In addition to the aforementioned MixW, MultiPSK, Sorcerer and even the venerable WinRadio Advanced Digital Suite all can copy this mode, if receiving is your game. The links for these packages can be found on the page in my sig

Mike

NC1

This has nothing at all to do with SDRs, so I've requested it to be moved...

I was not sure where to put this, so I thought the solution might be using SDR to decode it since software will be involved. I also thought I may need a cheap HF dongle as the easiest solution.

Just a guess given the options, but if there is a better spot then I am all for it.
And thanks for the information, everything is a help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your question about needing a dongle is fine here - just make it a different thread, since this one is solely about your mystery packet transmission

Mike

jimvm

Cordless mouse uses CB frequencies

One of my HP cordless mouses uses 27.045 MHz.
I can sometimes hear other users like my neighbors computer use.
The transmissions sound like high speed packet and stop when the user
stops moving the mouse.

fyi from jiim vm
\

Status
Not open for further replies.