RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Data Decoding

Shortwave Data Decoding - Discussions regarding decoding digital signals on the HF bands, including HFDL, ALE, RTTY, CW, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 5:28 PM

Default STANAG 4285

I think I ID'ed the noise I asked about on SW in a previous post in the SW/HF monitoring forum ,it sounds like STANAG 4285.
I guess it is 4285 ??

I am using MultiPSK software that is working great on all ham digital modes ,as well as some professional modes ,but when I use its 4285 feature all I see is a bunch of letters / numbers / punctuation marks going at a fast rate.
Is this decoding and indicates the material is encrypted ? If so is there anything in the encrypted material that will at least tell me the station ID or that I am actually seeing a STANAG station ???

Al
Sponsored links
Old 02-01-2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok View Post
I think I ID'ed the noise I asked about on SW in a previous post in the SW/HF monitoring forum ,it sounds like STANAG 4285.
I guess it is 4285 ??
There are several STANAG digital signals found on the HF bands, some would be very difficult to distinguish from each other by ear.

In addition to various STANAGs there are also other digital modems that sound very similar.

In other words, withhout further detail it would indeed be a guess as to it being S4285.

However, as I said in response to your first post in the other thread, there is an STANAG 4285 signal heard regularly on 6843 kHz, USB, and this is probably a good candidate to the signal you are hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok View Post
I am using MultiPSK software that is working great on all ham digital modes ,as well as some professional modes ,but when I use its 4285 feature all I see is a bunch of letters / numbers / punctuation marks going at a fast rate.
Is this decoding and indicates the material is encrypted ? If so is there anything in the encrypted material that will at least tell me the station ID or that I am actually seeing a STANAG station ???
If you are looking at 6843 kHz that signal is encrypted.

If you are looking at other signals, yes the random letters / symbols / numbers might be an indication that you trying to listen to encrypted traffic. However, it is also possible the signal is NOT encrypted and you have some settings incorrect. It is also possible you are hearing another signal and trying to decode it as S4285...which will not work.

Regardless, if you are hearing encrypted S4285 then no, there is no information you will get out of it that can help you ID the source.

T!
Old 02-02-2017, 7:18 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here is a nice article- it gets a bit heavy in the technical - on STANAG4285 signals...(it's a PDF file)

http://www.udxf.nl/Some-Notes-on-STANAG4285.pdf

Mike
Old 02-02-2017, 9:57 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

and a bit more on this mode...

STANAG 4285 - Signal Identification Wiki

Mike