Decoding with a Grundig 750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Good morning all

I am relatively new to shortwave I was wondering if it's possible to decode ALE for Cothen on a Grundig Satellite 750? I'm wondering if anybody is doing this? I've tried this with PCALE and have had no luck. I used the headphone out Jack from the radio and plugged it in to the mic input on my PC. As I moved the volume up and down on the radio the bars on the PCALE program moved up and down but when I received a digital signal did not decode. Any help would be appreciated.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you go into your control panel and see if the mic input was turned off (this is very common)? Did you hear the ALE sigs through your PC? If you have a LINE IN, that's a more common way to feed audio to your PC. Again, make sure that input has been turned on, otherwise you'll hear nothing

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually that would be the system tray, not control panel. My bad...A good way to test whether the connection is working is to tune in an AM or FM station and see if you can hear it through the PC's speakers. Mike

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Need help with PCALE

I am trying to get PCAle to work and having no luck. I have version 1.06 2H alpha installed. I'm using a Grundig 750. I'm seeing the yellow and green bars in the PCALE window and when I increase or decrease the volume the bars to move up and down. I can also hear the signal through my computer speakers. I tuned 12222 kilohertz and get a real good tone signal but the program is not decoding it. It must be something I am doing in the PCALE set up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or if someone can point me in the direction of some reading literature on how to set up or troubleshoot that would be great. Thanks Pete

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There's a few other things to consider here. First make sure the squelch is off - you don't want it to block a weak signal, or attenuate the tones. Next, you will likely need to be running that radio in SSB mode, not in AM, to get any decodes (at least I had to do that with my RX320D - totally different radio, I know...). The next little trick is to figure out where the pitch control should be. There's going to be unit-unit variations, but there should be a rough idea from other 750 owners about where the pitch should be set so the tones are generated correctly. I don't have that radio, so I can't help there

Mike

peten1vak

Premium Subscriber
Grundig 750 decoding solved

Thank you ka3jjz you sent me in the right direction. After hours of frustration I got it working great. The basic problem was that the radio does have to be an upper side Band like you said (I am a newbie) and even when I had it upper side band I could not receive the tones until I adjusted the SSB BFO. While I was listening to the ALE tones I adjusted the BFO and signals turned from green to red and decoded. Again thank you for your help.

73 Pete n1vak

Status
Not open for further replies.