RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > Shortwave Data Decoding

Shortwave Data Decoding - Discussions regarding decoding digital signals on the HF bands, including HFDL, ALE, RTTY, CW, and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 7:55 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default ALE audio vs data question

Good morning. I have been attempting to read and study about the nature of ALE. I do not yet have a receiver so I am not able to put into practice what I might read about. I understand to properly receive ALE, software is required. I have reviewed sites such as Utility Monitoring Central, and HFLink I believe..I have learned two examples of software would be PCALE, or MultiPSK.
Since I have not been able to put any of this to use, is ALE simply received as a decoded digital printout, or are the audio transmissions received through a decoding process?? Unfortunately I have seen references to both, but the digital decoding printout information seems to dominate. Thanks for your time, Lance
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2018, 8:11 AM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm not really sure about what you mean by a 'decoded digital printout' - ALE is usually used for testing a path between 2 points, and passing short messages. If the signal level (the BER) is good enough, sometimes the 2 stations will change to another mode.

The big thing with ALE is that more and more entities, including the military. in many countries are now using this mode. Occasionally you will see someone running a protected (i.e. encrypted) link but thankfully that's not very common.

Mike
Old 02-21-2018, 8:24 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Audio

I guess my confusion would lie in an example of a recent post, the OP discussed receiving a decoded i.d. of GRIFFIN. It appeared that the decode software printed that out on his PC screen. I get that, but would the OP have also received audio? I am trying to determine if the software simply allows, through decoding a display on a PC screen of decoded information. It's tough when I can't put anything into actual use. I have come to a conclusion that if audio is available through the use of software, I'll probably save for an investment in a quality receiver.. thanks again for your time.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default ALE

Would I be wrong if I tried to understand the system this way? ALE is only a method to successfully link two normally audible transmissions. It is simply a method to handshake, and does not necessarily have anything to do with the audio itself. The decoding process is just a method to determine the identity of the transmitter? I am trying to grasp this.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Audio is not a part of ALE, it only provides for sounding, linking radios and passing digital msgs. For voice use an ALE equipped radio can call another, which is usually scanning pre programmed channels, then when the radios link, an audible alarm sounds indicating the link is ready for voice mode.
prcguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFive View Post
Would I be wrong if I tried to understand the system this way? ALE is only a method to successfully link two normally audible transmissions. It is simply a method to handshake, and does not necessarily have anything to do with the audio itself. The decoding process is just a method to determine the identity of the transmitter? I am trying to grasp this.
Sponsored links
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default ALE audio

Thank you for that, definitely helps. I'm starting to understand better thanks to both of you.. I will try to read much more and understand the software applications a little better.
Old 08-06-2018, 8:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

"Audio is not a part of ALE, it only provides for sounding, linking radios and passing digital msgs. For voice use an ALE equipped radio can call another, which is usually scanning pre programmed channels, then when the radios link, an audible alarm sounds indicating the link is ready for voice mode.
prcguy"

Thanks very much for that, I can grasp that concept. My next logical question is when the ALE equipped transmitter sends out voice modulation, as it exists, is it in an unencrypted format, whether it be in SW, MW, LW? Will an adequate receiver, say a DV 1, hit on the voice modulation, or is the voice modulation in a format that would make it encrypted? I would add that my question as usual has drifted out of the realm of data decoding and into LW, MW, SW. The moderator has my sincerest apologizes.... Thanks to all of you for your patience
Old 08-06-2018, 11:15 AM

On the ALE equipped radios I've used, voice is used on the same frequency the radio linked on and voice mode can be unencrypted SSB or unencrypted digital voice such as LPC-10 or MELP or encrypted analog SSB or digital. Its up to the user and their needs as to what voice mode and if encryption is use.

I know for a fact the AOR DV1 will not decode LPC-10 as I tested that with an AOR rep, and I don't think it does MELP either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFive View Post
"Audio is not a part of ALE, it only provides for sounding, linking radios and passing digital msgs. For voice use an ALE equipped radio can call another, which is usually scanning pre programmed channels, then when the radios link, an audible alarm sounds indicating the link is ready for voice mode.
prcguy"

Thanks very much for that, I can grasp that concept. My next logical question is when the ALE equipped transmitter sends out voice modulation, as it exists, is it in an unencrypted format, whether it be in SW, MW, LW? Will an adequate receiver, say a DV 1, hit on the voice modulation, or is the voice modulation in a format that would make it encrypted? I would add that my question as usual has drifted out of the realm of data decoding and into LW, MW, SW. The moderator has my sincerest apologizes.... Thanks to all of you for your patience
Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Ale voice mod

Excellent, I have gained a new understanding of what ALE is, a method of connecting two transmitters. It is not any specific form of voice modulation... that can take a variety of forms. Up until this post, ALE appeared to me as some kind of misunderstood, hazy, form of communication. I get it better now. Thank you.