RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Skip / Tropospheric Ducting Forum

Skip / Tropospheric Ducting Forum - Discussion of Skip and Tropospheric Ducting Monitoring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2017, 4:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Cool NY metro area DX'ers

NY metro area DX'ers, What's the furthest, South, West, and or North you have received low band skip?

West for me is into Colorado, The WWV 25MHz time signal and SNOTEL which could be a number of receivers west of here.

South is Mississippi and Alabama and if I recall correctly Louisiana, mostly the Highway Patrol / State Police low band stuff.

Not anything notable north.

Has anyone from here hit the west coast? CHP or any other notable activity?
Sponsored links
Old 03-31-2017, 4:57 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Ive picked up utility companies down south, i am thinking South Carolina by the accident, i think it was on 36.7000mhz. I was in Harlem at home and it was about 84 degrees at 2am.
Old 04-17-2017, 1:22 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I haven't monitored skip for years, but when I did, I heard Mississippi and Missouri state police (I believe), Hamilton County Ohio fire. I did hear CHP once but not sure what part of California. I found the best weather for skip tends to be in the warmer months, especially on clear warm humid nights. I have a friend who has been down to the beach during the summer and has heard USCG stations from Virginia on a portable Bendix King VHF radio with the rubber duck antenna.Maybe this summer I will try again. I used a Realistic pro 2004 back in the day when I monitored skip. I still have that radio and it is in very good condition.
Old 07-14-2017, 3:08 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGMAN89 View Post
NY metro area DX'ers, What's the furthest, South, West, and or North you have received low band skip?

West for me is into Colorado, The WWV 25MHz time signal and SNOTEL which could be a number of receivers west of here.

South is Mississippi and Alabama and if I recall correctly Louisiana, mostly the Highway Patrol / State Police low band stuff.

Not anything notable north.

Has anyone from here hit the west coast? CHP or any other notable activity?
I got a QSL card some years ago from Germany...I ran our Fire Departments communications and at that time had 33.940 up at 500' above sea level in New Jersey. A DX'r in Germany gave all the details of our fire call. The station before adding a PL deck heard co-channel all day long stations in Maryland and Rhode Island Pasco County in Florida was a regular via skywave.