SDR on Vhf 154mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

dacaskie

Hi all, sorry if this is out of place, i have spent half a day reading and am not sure if i am right or not. i was asked to find a sdr that can monitor vhf- (specificially 154.2500) -as far as i can tell, a winradio device @ 600-700$ will allow this. BUT i am wondering are there any others (read as cheaper) that will do this? I was looking at the various projects online, is there a diy project that i can build for this freq range?

Again, sorry if i am in the wrong place but i just heard about sdr yesterday and my self driver over night primer appears to be failing.

Dan

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

There are plenty of cheaper options for 154 band, but not sure about SDR options.

Is there a specific reason to use SDR, vice something with a discriminator tap?

dacaskie

Well...we need a computer with the ability to monitor the vhf freq, i have never used a tap, have several old scanners that are capable, not sure how that would work, plus it is for a remote location, wanted to be able to alert/adjust/scan remotely. maybe sdr is the wrong tree for me to bark up?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

SDR would be overkill, I think. Running remote software for a scanner would work, with a remote connection to the PC that is running scanner.

KC2OSO

Late post but may be of help...

Scanner Recorder Home Page I use this software and it does well and is free. Scanrec coupled with an Icom IC-PCR100 (fairly inexpensive) (not the PCR1000). Scanrec runs ok on XP SP3. Not sure about Win 7 generation of the MS OS.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.