New handheld SDR with front panel control

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4BOZ

Premium Subscriber
That's freaking awesome.

There are some Twitter photos floating around of this unit that were taken at Dayton and under one of them is a telescoping antenna with a right angle BNC connector. Does anyone know if Elecraft (or some other manufacturer) is going to offer a little antenna to go with the KX3 that's similar to the Miracle Whip for the FT-817 and others?

k4sgt

Just in time for my graduation! I'll have to combo it up as a Christmas gift...but I am getting one of these! SWEET!!!

majoco

Stirrer
Is it really an SDR - or is it a radio with DSP built in?

Surely it's an HF rig, just 'cos it was shown in some guys hand doesn't make it a 'handheld' - even if it does have an internal power suppy.

A short telescopic antenna may pick up some signals, but not to transmit on! You need a good large antenna to get a signal out with only 5watts.

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Whoa, I thought it was a remote face plate for a K3 and I didn't bother to fight my way through the crowd to check it out. I didn't realize it was the ENTIRE radio.

prcguy

It's not a handheld in the sense you would hold it against you head and talk directly into it but it is smaller than some hand held radios out there.

It's supposed to be a true SDR and almost like a Jr version of the K3. With a whip antenna attached it should do just fine on upper HF bands like 20 through 10m. I talked a lot of DX with a 5w 10m hand held and my best contact was Long Beach, CA to the UK handheld with a 4ft long whip.
prcguy

Is it really an SDR - or is it a radio with DSP built in?

Surely it's an HF rig, just 'cos it was shown in some guys hand doesn't make it a 'handheld' - even if it does have an internal power suppy.

A short telescopic antenna may pick up some signals, but not to transmit on! You need a good large antenna to get a signal out with only 5watts.

PeterGV

K1PGV
What's REALLY cool about it is that it has an IQ output... so, you SHOULD be able to use it with some of the existing SDR software, like the Flex radios. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could run PowerSDR...

Peter
K1PGV

Status
Not open for further replies.