Studio 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I thought the group might be interested (placed my order yesterday):

Hi,

official from SDR Applications:

Studio 1 is a new concept in Software Defined Radio applications: it is hardware-independent receiving software thought to bring you the best in user interface friendliness, DSP quality, resources efficiency and versatility.

Studio 1 collects the legacy of WRplus including many tips from its large user base; however Studio 1 is very different in its internal architecture and it is vastly superior in many areas.

Studio1 will be available for direct sale at HAMRADIO 2012 and, of course, it will be visible and directly testable in many configurations at WoodBoxRadio booth.

The official regular price is 149,00 Euro but it is available in preorder at special introductory price of 99,00 Euro until 31 July 2012. Shipment to customers will be through our official distributor WoodBoxRadio after HAMRADIO 2012.

Purchasing a Studio 1 licence gives you access to free updates up to the next major release (not less one year from the previous major release); the product is constantly evolving, including ever new features and improvements. Studio 1 is copy-protected by a USB device ("dongle"): you can install Studio 1 on several systems at once and simply move the dongle to the one you need.

The price includes: CD of Studio1 and the USB licensing device (dongle).

Thank you for attention.

SDR Applications S.a.s.

A preorder is available starting today on WoodBoxRadio website, the delivery with insured postal service will starts at 26 June 2012 or, if everyone prefers, by hands at HAMRADIO 2012 (no postal cost with special "buy now Studio1 for HAMARDIO" button).

Brochures available for download in Studio1 webpage at index

73 Beppe
ik3vig

D

DaveNF2G

Sounds like a way to tie up 2 USB ports to do something that should only require one.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
License dongles are never a good idea. I dunno why people insist on requiring them.

SCPD

QRT
I got my copy a few weeks ago and was very disappointed. It's very buggy and not ready for general use. For the cost, it's not worth the investment right now. Perhaps in a year or so it will be better...

Until then I won't be using it.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
That's very disappointing to say the least.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I too got my copy a few weeks ago.

There has been one update already.
Software is well supported and will only get better.

NYG

I got a copy too. I like the multiple VRX idea, that's really what sold me on the software. As an HDSDR user I'm disappointed that Studio1 caps out at 2ghz and freeware that's based on the same code has worked around that original ExtIO limitation.

Simon Brown is adding a lot of new functionality and hardware support to SDR-Radio. When that supports my hardware I'll be all over it. I think he's a top notch developer.

I like Studio1, there aren't many SDR software packages that support WFM. But I think a lot of it is winrad with lipstick. If I don't see improvement in the areas I need I won't be moving to the next major release.

D

DaveNF2G

posted to wrong thread - deleted

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
What are the bugs that you found?

I'm not going to answer that South. I'm not seeking to bad-mouth the author or product itself -- just saying that my experience was very disappointing.

Basically, we paid good money for an un-finished product -- that was sold as being finished.

If you're really interested in specific feedback, then subscribe to the Yahoo Studio1 group and read all of the posts/comments from other users.

NYG

Basically, we paid good money for an un-finished product -- that was sold as being finished.

Some open beta testing could have helped a lot. I think the protection scheme they chose limited that opportunity though.

It's by no means bad software. It does have the potential to be quite good. But I agree for the price tag it should have been better out of the box.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I spent a fair amount of time last night playing with Studio 1 (updated) and I had a blast. Is it perfect? No, but I have issues with DXBase 2007, HRD, ScopeStation, PlanePlotter, BaseStation, MultiPSK, most of my ARC products, etc..
Although the software does have some bugs I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't update and spend some time with it. My guess is you'll have a lot of fun. Yes, it should have not been released as soon as it was, especially after Sandro delayed the initial release because he wanted to make sure it was ready for prime time, but many, many bugs have been addressed and Sandro is VERY reactive to reported issues.

SCPD

QRT
Although the software does have some bugs I think you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't update and spend some time with it. My guess is you'll have a lot of fun.

I have no clue what you're point is here. The software is terrible. Why would using terrible software be "fun?" I'd rather actually spend time finding signals and listening to them than have to fight crappy software.

I didn't sign up or pay to be a software tester. IMHO, WoodBox Radio misled its customers.

Even Sandro admitted (after most of us had already paid) that the software was not yet feature complete.

Could you imagine if a new Apple iPhone was released with beta software? Or a new car was sold with a "new" engine that only worked part of the time?

I have since sold my copy of Studio1. I'd rather get back to listening.

SCPD

QRT
Version 101.c is now available.

Weee, so what has Sandro been doing the past few weeks? Re-designing the calibration feature! Glad we're into the re-design phase already... :confused:

So perhaps by "Version 131.z" they will have a completed software package. I'll be 60 years older but hey, better late than never. :roll:

sdrapps

Dear “nickcarr”, I haven’t received any comment or suggestion from you either from the Studio 1 Yahoo group or by email.

You never asked for sending back the package and having a refund.

So I don’t understand why you are wining as a spoiled child.

Also keep terms as “crappy” for you, as you are not entitled to be offensive here or anywhere else.

If you want to say something that makes any sense to us, please send an email to support@sdrapplications.it and I will glad to reply.

Sandro Sfregola
SDR Applications S.a.s.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
My point was quite clear. Maybe the update would have addressed some of the issues you were experiencing and maybe you could have enjoyed using the software. No more, no less.. I'm not going to start a fire here.

Enjoy the hobby.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
Dear “nickcarr”, I haven’t received any comment or suggestion from you either from the Studio 1 Yahoo group or by email.

Also keep terms as “crappy” for you, as you are not entitled to be offensive here or anywhere else.

If you want to say something that makes any sense to us, please send an email to support@sdrapplications.it and I will glad to reply.

Sandro Sfregola
SDR Applications S.a.s.

He, as a paying customer, is entitled to his opinion of a product he purchased. He is also allowed to speak as he wishes within reason.

I've no opinion of your software to date, as I don't own it but after seeing this post, I will not be purchasing it, nor any other product of your company, now or in the future. This is simply not how you handle public relations.

SCPD

QRT
He, as a paying customer, is entitled to his opinion of a product he purchased. He is also allowed to speak as he wishes within reason.

I've no opinion of your software to date, as I don't own it but after seeing this post, I will not be purchasing it, nor any other product of your company, now or in the future. This is simply not how you handle public relations.

Thank you Michael. I was typing up a lengthy response and now I don't have to. This was one of my key points.

sdrapps said:

I am certainly entitled to this term. I PAID (in advance) for your software. A few days before it was shipped you said that it was not "feature complete" and to be wary of any issues that may not be yet fixed.

sdrapps said:

Funny you mention that because that IS 100% correct. I took a chance on your software. Did I publicly bad-mouth it? No. Did I post a negative comment in your Yahoo group? No. Did I ask for my money back? No. In fact, I didn't say a word about your software. I unsubscribed from the Yahoo group and left it at that.

Since I was the one who (more/less) promoted your software BEFORE it was released, I felt obliged to offer my feedback to the web site where I originally posted. I have no problem admitting that I was wrong about your software.

I have been a professional software tester for 15 years. I have no interest in beta-testing your software.

sdrapps said:

It sure sounds like you're the one that's whining. You don't like what someone said about your pricey software so this is how you respond? If you truly cared about your software, then you could have sent me a PM and I might have actually helped you. Oh well.

Cheers,
-Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.