HELP with Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 mini dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

va2dg

Feed Provider
Hi everyone, i am having some problems with my
Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 SDR Radio 64 - 1700 MHz bought from digitalhome88 in China.

When I stick it for the first time in my PC it fire up the Found New Hardware Wizard,
if I go next to install the soft automatically it does not find any driver and it does it twice.
In my Device Manager I get under Other devices 2 instance of Bulk-In, Interface.

After installing HDSDR on my laptop then I run ExtIO_USRP+FCD+RTL2832 + BorIP-1.2 BETA10_Setup and has specified I did point it to HDSDR directory, when it prompt me to Zadig I get in the scroll box and see 2 instance of Bulk-In,Interface (0) and (1). I use (0) and install WInUSB driver and then close Zadig after successful install.

In Device Manager under libusb WinUSB devices I have a Bulk-In,Interface with Yellow ! and another one with (Interface 0)

Then I fireup HDSDR and in the ExtIO I put RTL in device Hint.

THen F2 on HDSDR and i have some noise at 3658 on the 80meter band moving to FM station
like CKOI 96.9 at 300kwatt i dont even have signal, white noise is about -85 move to 104.1 with is 10 miles from home I can barely ear some thing, I think is is bandwidth setup issue.
Tuning 162.55 weather i got a little bit of signal and heard something. I am using the Stick that came with it. Tomorrow with try an external antenna.

but what setup should I put for Bandwidth for FM 2m band and FM broadcast.

Another thing if i close HDSDR when I open it up i cant start it. Device control fail to open device.
I have to uninstall both instance of Bulk-In,Interface in device manager and start all over again with runing ExtIO_USRP+FCD+RTL2832 + BorIP-1.2 BETA10_Setup

Very strange.

So I anyone can help I would appreciate

73's
Daniel
VA2DG

jacob313

Realtek RTL2832U Elonics E4000 SDR Radio 64 - 1700 MHz bought from digitalhome88 in China.

When I stick it for the first time in my PC it fire up the Found New Hardware Wizard,
if I go next to install the soft automatically it does not find any driver and it does it twice.
In my Device Manager I get under Other devices 2 instance of Bulk-In, Interface.

After installing HDSDR on my laptop then I run ExtIO_USRP+FCD+RTL2832 + BorIP-1.2 BETA10_Setup and has specified I did point it to HDSDR directory, when it prompt me to Zadig I get in the scroll box and see 2 instance of Bulk-In,Interface (0) and (1). I use (0) and install WInUSB driver and then close Zadig after successful install.

In Device Manager under libusb WinUSB devices I have a Bulk-In,Interface with Yellow ! and another one with (Interface 0)

THen F2 on HDSDR and i have some noise at 3658 on the 80meter band moving to FM station
like CKOI 96.9 at 300kwatt i dont even have signal, white noise is about -85 move to 104.1 with is 10 miles from home I can barely ear some thing, I think is is bandwidth setup issue.
Tuning 162.55 weather i got a little bit of signal and heard something. I am using the Stick that came with it. Tomorrow with try an external antenna.

Another thing if i close HDSDR when I open it up i cant start it. Device control fail to open device.
I have to uninstall both instance of Bulk-In,Interface in device manager and start all over again with runing ExtIO_USRP+FCD+RTL2832 + BorIP-1.2 BETA10_Setup

Very strange.

73's
Daniel
VA2DG
HDSDR is hard to get it to work for some people. Try to get SDR# working first, you don't need to run any setup, just extract to folder. If you get SDR# working then you know that that the device is ok, and you can work on HDSDR.

Eric738

Use #sharp !

Hi daniel

Install #sharp its more easy and the latest version run very easy. Tape tutorial installation sdr #sharp in google you will find easy help to install this nice soft. Enyoy 73 eric F1SMV

KS4JU

You could have any of the following issues:

1. HDSDR does lock up with RTL Sticks. As suggested try SDR Sharp.
2. The antenna that comes with it is not great on some frequencies.
3. You could be subject to desense by strong nearby signals.
4. You stick may not actually have an E4000 chip in it. (This happens)
5. Even if it does it may not cover the frequency range you think it may (there are gaps)
6. You got a poorly made RTL stick.

My first RTL stick was a generic white stick. It had very poor reception. I then tried an Ezcap 668 stick and it worked great. However, I have seen mention of some users getting the Ezcap 668 with a different chip substituted for the E4000.

If you have a Linux machine available install the latest GNU Radio program. Plug in the RTL stick and type rtl_test -t in a terminal windows and it will show you where the PLL locks, usable frequency range, gaps, and whether an E4000 chip is there...................

jazzbassNick

Feed Provider
You could have any of the following issues:

1. HDSDR does lock up with RTL Sticks. As suggested try SDR Sharp.
2. The antenna that comes with it is not great on some frequencies.
3. You could be subject to desense by strong nearby signals.
4. You stick may not actually have an E4000 chip in it. (This happens)
5. Even if it does it may not cover the frequency range you think it may (there are gaps)
6. You got a poorly made RTL stick.

My first RTL stick was a generic white stick. It had very poor reception. I then tried an Ezcap 668 stick and it worked great. However, I have seen mention of some users getting the Ezcap 668 with a different chip substituted for the E4000.

If you have a Linux machine available install the latest GNU Radio program. Plug in the RTL stick and type rtl_test -t in a terminal windows and it will show you where the PLL locks, usable frequency range, gaps, and whether an E4000 chip is there...................

I ran into a similar sitch with an Ezcap not having the E4000 tuner (it had the FC0013).
FYI - the windows version of rtl_test.exe that's located in the RelWithDebInfo.zip package will tell you the tuner model. Don't sweat the -t (which only works if it is an E4000 tuner). Just run rtl_test.exe, then ctrl-C to stop it after it reports the tuner.

SDR# will also report the tuner in the "Front End" popup window.

As to the OP re: HDSDR - sorry I don't have any light to shed on that.

ansul1001

#1 Member

Very strange.

73's
Daniel
VA2DG

Ignore errors you see on first launch. There should be two windows that open HDSDR and Device Control. Select the Device Control window and under “Device Hint” put “RTL readlen=8192 tuner=e4k” without the quotation marks. Click Create. Hopefully it should work and you can go back to the HDSDR window, click START (or hit F2) and begin tuning around.

Status
Not open for further replies.