DVB-T dongle/downconverter SWL performance comparisons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoofer

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone yet done a side-by-side sw performance comparison between an SDR consisting of a DVB-T USB dongle/downconverter combo and any of the following:

An SDR kit (eg. KB9YIG Softrock Ensemble II)
A commercial SDR (eg. Perseus, WinRadio)
A commercial portable SW receiver (eg. Sony, Tecsun)?
A commercial communications receiver (Icom, Kenwood, JRC)?

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Christmas presents - a RTL2832U/e4000 dongle from China and the Ham-It-Up HF downconverter. I have owned a classic Sony ICF-2010 for many years and will be happy to post a comparison between the two receivers after I get the SDR operational. But I'm curious if anyone else has already done a real-world comparison between their new DVB-T dongle SDR and their exisiting SW receiver. I'm particularly interested in how the dongle SDR compares to the KB9YIG Ensemble II kit, as I was seriously considering one of those prior to ordering the dongle.

I'm not for one second thinking that the SDR is going to outperform my Sony 2010, but as long as it can hear most of what the Sony hears would be great.

Thanks.

KC W0VP

Intellifax

Haven't done a real comparison between the Ham-it-up upconverter + RTLSDR dongle combo and my Icom R8500 or NRD-525, but I'm pleased with the performance of the SDR. Sitting here now listening to the SDR on 6.577 USB (New York ARINC), and the reception is very good. The SDR seems to be slightly more sensitive than the Icom and NRD, but not enough to make any real world difference. It may out-perform your 2010, or at least will come close. I notice that on some very strong stations I get the occasional image on the SDR, but that is quickly detectable. Have used the SDR from the bottom of the AM broadcast band (530 KHz+) up to over 17 MHz so far, performance is very good. For less than $100 ($25 SDR, $50 upconverter, $10 for 2 antenna adapters), I'm satisfied.

KS4JU

Haven't done a real comparison between the Ham-it-up upconverter + RTLSDR dongle combo and my Icom R8500 or NRD-525, but I'm pleased with the performance of the SDR. Sitting here now listening to the SDR on 6.577 USB (New York ARINC), and the reception is very good. The SDR seems to be slightly more sensitive than the Icom and NRD, but not enough to make any real world difference. It may out-perform your 2010, or at least will come close. I notice that on some very strong stations I get the occasional image on the SDR, but that is quickly detectable. Have used the SDR from the bottom of the AM broadcast band (530 KHz+) up to over 17 MHz so far, performance is very good. For less than $100 ($25 SDR, $50 upconverter, $10 for 2 antenna adapters), I'm satisfied.

If you get any images, I find that turning off the auto agc function in the ExtIO control panel and using the manual adjustment will reduce images significantly without sacrificing much in the way of sensitivity.

I find that the RTL2832U / Ham it Up coverer performs very well when compared to my commercial HF receivers. Especially for less than $100.

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I hope this thread keeps going. I ordered my Ham it up today and can't wait to try it. I am very impressed with the dongle already and would love to use the ham it up to find signals on HF and actually listen to them on my R75 instead of spinning the dial and hoping to find something.

Intellifax

If you get any images, I find that turning off the auto agc function in the ExtIO control panel and using the manual adjustment will reduce images significantly without sacrificing much in the way of sensitivity.

I find that the RTL2832U / Ham it Up coverer performs very well when compared to my commercial HF receivers. Especially for less than $100.

Thanks for the wisdom, I'll give that a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.