New SDR CommRadio CR-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Not an overwhelming amount of info other than general specifications.

1. Given that it's apparently an SDR, what software does it successfully interface with?
2. Bizarre UHF coverage, why not extend it into the public safety bands if you're going all the way to 468 MHz. Just seems an odd place to cut it off.
3. 12.5 KHz steps in the VHF-HI band? There's something about an override, but are the actual proper steps such as 6.25, 7.5, and 15 KHz available?
4. Price?

Neat concept, but in my case anyway FAR more information would be required, despite them wanting me to get on their waiting list for ordering.

WB2KTG

This preliminary data is the first that I have seen for the new receiver. I'm sure more data will be published as it becomes available. I believe at this point, although it is an SDR, it is a self contained system not requiring or being capable of utilizing an outboard PC. I may be incorrect in stating that, but I believe that is the case. The concept of using an SDR vice a traditional receiver is something that has been common to military and other high end systems for a number of years. We're just beginning to see it in the scanning and ham radio world. It has numerous advantages, as you're aware. As more information is made available, I'm sure things will become clear as to the design intent and detailed specifications. I'm excited at the size of the package, and anticipate that I'll finally be able to dump one or more of my 'boat anchors' without losing performance. Can't wait to find out more!

KC1UA

Database Admin
It would be nice to find out more, to be certain. I'm a little taken aback by the fact that the guy is looking for people to get on the waiting list for purchase, while he comes up way short in an explanation of exactly WHAT is being purchased and how it's going to work.:roll:

That said I wouldn't be posting if I didn't find this of interest. Given the current coverage in the UHF band I'd probably abstain at this point, but I'd love to see the interface with software, how much spectrum would be available for viewing especially in the VHF and UHF bands, and how interactive that would be with the radio with regards to tuning.

Thanks for the link; we'll see how this develops.

WB2KTG

I'm somewhat familiar with the parent company and it's long successful history providing receivers for the military world. I believe this is it's first foray into the 'retail' market. Each market has it's own nuances, each market has a learning curve. I'm thrilled at having a new player step up to the plate. It's all good. The more players the better!

prcguy

Who is the parent company beyond CommRadio and what do they supply to the military?
prcguy

I'm somewhat familiar with the parent company and it's long successful history providing receivers for the military world. I believe this is it's first foray into the 'retail' market. Each market has it's own nuances, each market has a learning curve. I'm thrilled at having a new player step up to the plate. It's all good. The more players the better!

WB2KTG

Aerostream Communications is the 'parent' company.
Aerostream Communications
There is a link to the CR-1 from the Aerostream site.
From the picture on the Aerostream site I just noticed there appears
to be some form of spectrum display shown. I need more details!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hmmm... in the VHF coverage, it says 137-225 Mhz NBFM. Whoever's producing this must not know the amateur service isn't impacted by the narrowbanding mandate. Hopefully that's something the user can change...Mike

SCPD

QRT
Let us lay off on the spec bashing. The receiver can be updated via USB so probably a good percentage of these issues can be resolved with a simple update. I'm sure the hardware hackers out there will let them know what needs to be changed/modified.

Give the company a chance. We need to support companies like this... with even the big guys struggling (e.g. GRE) it's a good thing.

Something like this could be very cool for vacations, bed-side radio, etc.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I think it's a great concept. I just think it's putting the cart before the horse when a company offers a pre-order method without a valid explanation of the capabilities of the unit. I certainly wasn't trying to start "bashing" but what they offer in explanation lacks severely. IMHO, of course.

I agree that companies like this do indeed need to be supported, and that the more competition out there the better things are for all of us with regards to both quality and pricing, but I also maintain the companies trying to sell the stuff need to hold up their end as well.

majoco

Stirrer
Is it an SDR, an SCR or just another radio with a computer interface? It seems to be very heavily leaning towards the Ham bands. The Youtube demo is pretty meaningless with mentioning location and antenna. From what we saw on the demo, it's just a receiver with DSP.

Token

The description from the web site makes it a traditional superhet design (their words on that) with a narrow banded DSP in the final IF. Essentially the same as many ham radios for the last 12 or 15 years. This is an SDR about as much as the Kenwood TS2000k or Yaesu FT-2000 are SDRs. I would call it a hybrid radio, along the lines of the WInRadio G3XX series but without the computer interface. Don't get me wrong, it looks interesting, but it ain't no SDR in the sense used by many today. If the price is in the range mentioned above I will have to look at it.

But that is going off of the very brief verbage on the web site, maybe there is more to this thing then the information so far supplied.

T!

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Add a keypad, or a remote with a keypad and I would be interested.

WB2KTG

Sexy!

Checking out the CommRadio CR-1 website I see a 'sexy' yellow-green display in the still images. I also see a sort-of white image in the YouTube video. I confirmed with Don Moore, the 'father' of the CR-1, that the still images are correct. The display is a beautiful OLED yellow green color. I like that! It's also a highly visible color to the human eye.

KA2ZEY

GMRS?? That's not a strong buying point for me. It's great to see new SDR concepts coming out but that just seems like a weird way to market this radio.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I sent an e-mail yesterday morning inquiring as to what software this device would run with, given that it is touted as a software defined radio.

No response yet. Three weeks away from sales, and no indication of what software (either proprietary or third-party) will work with it. Curious...

Status
Not open for further replies.