RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbintechboy View Post
Before they trash it locate the COA, hit up your favorite download place and download said version of Windows (now legal because you own it). Depending on net speed takes 10-30ish minutes. It is now legal because you hold a license.
I have no such machine, nor will I go dumpster diving to find a valid license... If the CR-1 folks wish to provide life time free firmware updates, including to and from shipping then I will buy, otherwise I and others will not buy.
Old 05-19-2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdiesel1 View Post
I have no such machine, nor will I go dumpster diving to find a valid license... If the CR-1 folks wish to provide life time free firmware updates, including to and from shipping then I will buy, otherwise I and others will not buy.
Ok, didn't ask you to dumpster dive.

Fruitless conversation I am just trying to help you through my own learning experiences. This is fine and ultimately it is your choice.
Old 05-19-2013, 5:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Fruitless conversation
Correct my friend. I refuse to support the deliberate screwing of users. I currently have a HiQSDR on the way, which is superior anyhow.
Old 05-19-2013, 7:06 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default SSB frequency calibration is off

I have had my CR-1 for a few days now and the more I use it the more I like it.
I am pretty impressed with what such a simple radio can do. The audio fed to a RS Minimus speaker
is really nice.
It is no K3 but I don't expect it to be.
I do notice one thing that I haven't seen addressed (I may have missed it) and that is that the frequency calibration is off 120 hertz in USB and LSB modes. Meaning, to tune in an AM station I have to tune 120 hertz high to get proper tuning.
3 questions;
Has anyone else noticed this?
Can it be fixed/adjusted without returning?
Is this within spec?
Larry
n0sa
Old 05-19-2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Fruitless conversation I am just trying to help you through my own learning experiences. This is fine and ultimately it is your choice.
In any case you can't run the CR1 installer under Wine like you originally said. I tried it. It requires Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 which Wine does not yet support, and a Google search shows that Wine barely has any USB support at the moment. Running a virtual machine is not trivial and I wouldn't recommend anyone do this if they hadn't already done it.

So please don't offer information you're not sure of. I would hate for someone to choose to buy this radio based on incorrect information.
Sponsored links
Old 05-19-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
In any case you can't run the CR1 installer under Wine like you originally said. I tried it. It requires Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 which Wine does not yet support, and a Google search shows that Wine barely has any USB support at the moment. Running a virtual machine is not trivial and I wouldn't recommend anyone do this if they hadn't already done it.

So please don't offer information you're not sure of. I would hate for someone to choose to buy this radio based on incorrect information.
I never suggested using Wine for the above reasons.

I have used Linux since early 99 and I am well aware of the limitations of Wine.

And please don't accuse people of spreading false information without reading and understanding what was written.

Last edited by corbintechboy; 05-19-2013 at 7:33 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 7:41 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hello N0SA, I have noticed this as well in my testing .Mine is off by about 100 hz as well. I have emailed them to see if it could be fixed in a later update or if there is a calibration software available to owners. Playing with the radio right now and love it. Dion
Old 05-19-2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
I never suggested using Wine for the above reasons.
When I said exactly why it's impossible to run the CR1 installer under Wine, you told me "You might be right." No, I am right. It is impossible. To imply otherwise is incorrect.

Quote:
I have used Linux since early 99 and I am well aware of the limitations of Wine.
If you are aware of the limitations of Wine then why didn't you agree with me that it's impossible to run the CR1 Installer under Wine?

Quote:
And please don't accuse people of spreading false information without reading and understanding what was written.
Please don't make recommendations that you haven't verified yourself.
Old 05-19-2013, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post
Please don't make recommendations that you haven't verified yourself.
And the recommendation I made is right. You can use a virtual machine to do as I said.

I guess a certain amount of passiveness is not possible here?

So the technical answer is it will not work. But the long answer is that if I wanted to expel the energy to prove a point, I would venture to say I would get it to work. Why you ask? I have fought the hard fight with Linux and know my way around and have spent many all nighters doing things in the past that were near impossible with Linux. Sure, you have the new breed of user that wants a click affair with a Linux box and expects everything to work, then you have a seasoned veteran that is not afraid of the cli and has no problem getting the hands dirty.

So you may be right in all your theories when it comes to reading forums and looking for answers from veterans to solve your problem, you might not be so lucky when a veteran picks up the project and makes it happen. The saying goes in Linux anyways, if it don't work/exist then make it so. Thats what veterans do so the clickers can feel accomplished.

So the CR-1 could probably be updated from Linux if someone wants to spend some time. I have made my life easier by realizing that Windows holds 90% (or so) of the desktop market share and use Windows for said purposes.

So I will not 100% agree that it does not work. I will agree that it does not work right now. So in saying that I guess you may be correct.

Last edited by corbintechboy; 05-19-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 8:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CR1 frequency off

Yes I found that the CR1 was off freq. by about 100hz on my unit as well. I have emailed them to find out if there will be a fix in an update or maybe they have a calibration software program that will be available to owners. They have been very busy I suspect at the dayton hamvention , so I have heard nothing yet.Anyone noticed a vast improvement in the agc since the latest update? As I posted earlier, mine is MUCH better since the latest update.Dion
Old 05-19-2013, 10:46 PM

Which filter is being used in SSB and AM? I use the 1.8kHz for SSB and 5kHz for AM and except for the restricted audio frequencies, there is no tone or "Donald Duck" speak when switching from AM, LSB and USB.
Old 05-20-2013, 6:30 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am using the 1.8Khz filter on SSB.
Here is a better description of the offset.
If I go to say 10Mhz and tune in WWV via LSB so that when I switch to USB there
is almost no tonal change, which means I am very close to zero beat, the frequency reads
10.120Mhz. This tells me the frequency calibration is off about 120 Hz at 10 Mhz.
If I do the same thing at 1.600Mhz it is only off about 10Hertz.
Thus it gets worse the higher I go in frequency,
Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapa View Post
The company even said that this last update would be the last for awhile.
Hmmm. Is that true?

---
It's hard to know whether a huge 120 Hz error is within spec when so few CR-1 performance specs have been published. Most better SDRs are far within 1 ppm. My Flex-5000, which I use in Frequency Measuring Contests, is accurate to well within one Hz and I think the 1500 is nearly as good. Flex radios (the 5000 and 3000, not sure about the 1500) come with a very simple calibration routine that takes just a few seconds.

What is the current state of the CR-1's VHF/UHF performance? I've noticed that some users are now saying the CR-1 is primarily an HF radio. The ad material doesn't say that.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0sa View Post
I am using the 1.8Khz filter on SSB.
Here is a better description of the offset.
If I go to say 10Mhz and tune in WWV via LSB so that when I switch to USB there
is almost no tonal change, which means I am very close to zero beat, the frequency reads
10.120Mhz. This tells me the frequency calibration is off about 120 Hz at 10 Mhz.
If I do the same thing at 1.600Mhz it is only off about 10Hertz.
Thus it gets worse the higher I go in frequency,
Odd. That was one of the first things I checked for when I received the radio and was amazed how good the calibration of AM vs. USB/LSB was. I have the latest updates. The QRM is pretty bad and signals very weak in Austin right now. I'll try later this evening and see if there are any problems.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 AM

I've also noticed that in SSB modes the frequency counter is about 100 Hz off. Not a big deal.

I've found a more serious problem. The AM broadcast band is blasting through 18.5 MHz to 19 MHz. I'm getting nearly all the local AM stations at very strong levels (S10-S20) which makes it mostly unusable through this range.

I get slight AM interference from the strongest stations on my NRD-525 just above the broadcast band but nothing like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM

From those who own one of these, what type of antenna are you running? I was told that running more than about 50ft would overload this unit. Do you think that's true? What is working best for you?
Old 05-20-2013, 1:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Well, I double checked my radio and here is what I have
1.6 Mhz off by +10Hz not bad
10.0Mhz off by +120Hz not good
15.0Mhz off by +180Hz bad
20.0Mhz off by +220Hz worse yet
Looks like mine needs to go back for an alignment.
It should be a lot closer than this.
I used WWV on 10,15 and 20 Mhz
I have an e-mail in to CommRadio, just waiting to hear back from them.
It is great that Don burns the radios in before they are shipped but a little better quality
control would be nice. It is costly to ship items back and forth and have to redo
what should have been done right the first time.
Probably growing pains for this new venture. Other than that I am really pleased with the radio
and the communications with the company. I also did a software upgrade, it was painless and went
perfectly. I have an Elecraft K3 and a KX3 and I am used to upgrading the firmware.
That is one of the things that makes these radios so cool, the fact that options and improvements can be added with the click of a mouse. Sometimes it is like getting a new radio.
I am confident CommRadio will come through for me on this issue.
Now back to playing with my new toy.
Larry
n0sa
Old 05-20-2013, 1:14 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I do not have any BCB bleedthrough on my unit and I have some very strong local AM
broadcast stations.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0sa View Post
I do not have any BCB bleedthrough on my unit and I have some very strong local AM
broadcast stations.
Even in that odd 18.5-19 MHz region?

I'm only using a 30 foot random wire antenna.
Old 05-20-2013, 5:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CR1

Hi folks, just tried the same test for frequency off and am in 18-19mhz. My radio is indeed off by 100hz at every time stamp(will try 5 and 2.5 later as they are not coming through right now). I also get no am interference within 18-19 mhz and we do have some local station about 2 miles from me. Going out on the deck and gonna give the "miracle antenna" a try. Dion

Tags
commradio, compact, cr-1, receiver, sdr, sticky