SDR on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

send9

Any recommendations for cheap SDR devices to play around with? NooElec TV28T with an RTL2832U on Amazon for $20 (but with some weird MCX connector), Newsky one for $30. I am willing to spend a bit more if there's an advantage, but, I am not looking to spend a lot or have a professional setup.

Thanks!

bgav

Premium Subscriber
I recently pulled the trigger on an EzTV668 from Amazon based on threads here at RR and elsewhere. Using it with SDR# to monitor ATC and SDR# & Unitrunker. It works great, was relatively easy to get running (use Zadig to install the driver). The Autotune feature works great as a "close call" like feature for monitoring a couple MHz wide band of spectrum. Screenshot below is analyzing a Motorola Type II system using the included antenna! I plan on getting another EzTV668 to use both for signal/control monitoring in Unitrunker.

Capture2_zpse7fc7953.jpg

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

KD8DVR

So can Unitrunker follow a trunked system? Programmable talkgroups and such to function as a trunking scanner? I'm sort of dead here, since rebanding killed my old pro93 scanner's ability to accurately follow our system here. I do have one dongle and use SDR#

bgav

Premium Subscriber
So can Unitrunker follow a trunked system? Programmable talkgroups and such to function as a trunking scanner? I'm sort of dead here, since rebanding killed my old pro93 scanner's ability to accurately follow our system here. I do have one dongle and use SDR#

Yes, see this guide. See this video. Add DSD for decoding P25.

smason

Any recommendations for cheap SDR devices to play around with? NooElec TV28T with an RTL2832U on Amazon for $20 (but with some weird MCX connector), Newsky one for $30. I am willing to spend a bit more if there's an advantage, but, I am not looking to spend a lot or have a professional setup.

Thanks!

I think the NooElec units come with a MCX to SMA adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.