RTL-SDR and HDTV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Been playing with the Terratec RTL-SDR dongle and SDR Sharp and it made me wonder if there is any software out there to display HDTV signals here in the US. Anyone know of anything?

e737

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the software that comes with the dongle let you display HDTV on your computer?

D

DaveNF2G

If you buy a dongle packaged as a TV receiver, then it might come with TV software. The ones people are buying on eBay to use as SDR come with an antenna and a TV remote, but no software at all.

rbm

The dongles are made to receive and decode the European standard digital television.

That's a different standard than used in the U.S.

So, it will NOT work on digital TV here.

Rich

Edit: In the U.S we have the ATSC standard.

DVB-T stands for Digital Video Broadcasting – Terrestrial.
That is the DVB European consortium standard for the broadcast transmission of digital terrestrial television.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
...and after initially playing with the included software which does display normal and digital TV here, I rapidly got bored with that and removed the bloated software to install SDR# which works well. However - every time I turn on the laptop, it displays that it's looking for the infra-red remote driver. I know it only takes a click to cancel it but it's still annoying.

mancow

Database Admin
I know what the dongles are for and bought mine for use as a cheap SDR with SDR# and it works great. My question is whether or not anyone has come up with a program that will allow it to work with ATSC since it's infinitely configurable (evidenced by its use with SDR#).

It has about a 2.5 Mhz bandwidth. What is the bandwidth of an ATSC channel?

tech020

ATSC channels are still 6Mhz wide, but can accomodate various combinations of HDTV and SDTV signals. The band plans for DVB-T and ATSC are also quite different. Never say never, but I doubt that the SDR dongles will work on US systems. You can buy ATSC dongles but they won't do SDR as far a I have seen.

ATSC reception is still SDR

Like converter boxes they require some kind of software to scan and display the channels. Same here, but our PC's would do better than the converter boxes. ATSC is a digital mode just like ACPO 25 except it does HD audio and video. There is no chipset required to receive ATSC signals just the software from the PC. Regular tuners already have software on the chip sets. If it can tune wideband I bet it can decode other international digital television formats including ATSC. That software has to be out there to make this work.

Adam E.
Virginia Beach, VA

Status
Not open for further replies.