What now? Got it working, whats next

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhere300

Ok, I used SDR# and got my no name RTL2832 based receiver working. Works fine. Passes audio, nice display. played with it, now I am bored.

What can i do from here? Is there software to allow me to decode P25, DMR, etc available that will run with this?

Anyone interface this to a trunker program?

BM82557

Ok, I used SDR# and got my no name RTL2832 based receiver working. Works fine. Passes audio, nice display. played with it, now I am bored.

What can i do from here? Is there software to allow me to decode P25, DMR, etc available that will run with this?

I use ADSB# & ADSBScope for air traffic monitoring. Haven't tried Unitrunker but I believe it will work with SDR#.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col

Yes! It will take a bit of fiddling though. I created my own plug-in for SDR# to get the trunking to work with the newest version of SDR# which I'm still planning on releasing at some point unless the official SDR# guys beat me to it. You will also need a program like Virtual Audio Cable to pass the audio from SDR# to Unitrunker and DSD for digital.

This page here should get you started: SDRSharp UniTrunker Support

It works reasonably well on digital simulcast systems. I need a more powerful computer to really make the best of what it can do, but I'm able to monitor 700Mhz trunked systems now which is great - best sub $20 "scanner" ever! :)

-AZ

mk262

Premium Subscriber
You'll want two dongles for effective trunking. I've never used in digital but it works decent in analog.

Performance will suffer a little if your trunked system occupies a ranger wider than ~1mhz.

D

DaveNF2G

Gotta open your eyes a bit when browsing the RR Forums.

Just below your thread (on my screen as of right now anyway) is the thread "Interfacing HDSDR to UniTrunker." There is also an entire forum on digital decoding software, including discussions about how to use them with SDR setups.

Pape

Premium Subscriber
use rtl1090 for adsb decoding that I feed to plane plotter that later feed virtual radar server so I can peak from any device. Waiting on more dongle to get acars in the mix.

At 20$ a pop to bad I only have 2 ears, can you imagine how many sources you can simultaneously listen in a trunk system !

AZScanner

You'll want two dongles for effective trunking. I've never used in digital but it works decent in analog.

Performance will suffer a little if your trunked system occupies a ranger wider than ~1mhz.

This is next on my list once I have a more powerful computer. My poor little Celeron laptop can BARELY run Unitrunker, DSD and one instance of SDR# (and that's after all sorts of performance tweaks and killing all but the bare minimum processes and services Windows needs to run). Once I have a new i5 machine built, then I'll go for broke with 2 dongles and a full trunking setup.

So what would i use for just basic monitoring of NON trunked P25 and DMR?

Since it's semi related to this thread :), what have you found are the optimal filter/bandwidth settings for DSD? I've been using Youssef/9840 for DSD and I was getting OK P25 decoding out of it but quite by accident I bumped the bandwidth down to 3500 or so and all of a sudden DSD went from errorbars that looked like this: ====R========R==R to errorbars that looked like this: ==== and the voice quality coming out of DSD was improved greatly. Was that just a fluke or did I stumble onto something? I noticed it was hit or miss, some decodes were nearly perfect while others were garbled and completely unintelligible, but I think that was more likely due to my underpowered processor than any settings in DSD or SDR#. Thoughts?

Edited to add: Also, I've found the Filter Order setting affects DSD as well. If I leave it at 10, the trick above doesn't work, but if I set it between 40 and 60, DSD is a happy camper. Curious what others have found works best for them.

-AZ

Pape

Premium Subscriber
From dsd readme:

Each "=" indicates a detected error within the voice data. "R" and "M" indicat that a voice frame was repeated or muted due to excessive errors.

On my side I do provoice R and M are really bad couples of = are no problem.

AZScanner

From dsd readme:

Each "=" indicates a detected error within the voice data. "R" and "M" indicat that a voice frame was repeated or muted due to excessive errors.

On my side I do provoice R and M are really bad couples of = are no problem.

Trust me, I've read the "readme" forwards and backwards and even examined the source code. I'm very fmiliar with DSD. My batch files for various systems I monitor with DSD have more options than a Swiss Army knife. ;) I just thought it was odd that DSD liked such a narrow filter setting - most others report getting their best results between 6000 and 12000. I'll have to keep experimenting, after all that's the fun part, right? I was just curious what settings others were using and if tightening the filter down to 4000 or less worked better or worse for them.

-AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.