Considering SDR for travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
I'm new to SDR and I already read the wiki but can't find the info I am looking for below:

1. Does a USB SDR tuner typically have less, more or the same sensitivity as a typical current model trunking scanner?
2. Can you scan as fast with an SDR setup as a conventional scanner?

I'm just trying to decide if I'd be better off packing my portable scanner with me when I travel or if I'd get better results if I set up my laptop for SDR. BTW this would be just for scanning while in a hotel room during the off hours.

Thanks for any help.

SDR,after about 5 weeks now of use with SDR#,
in my opinion would be great for any conventional
traffic.
For ease of use Id go with the portable for the trunking.

LIScanner101

SDR,after about 5 weeks now of use with SDR#,
in my opinion would be great for any conventional
traffic.
For ease of use Id go with the portable for the trunking.

Thanks. So, you're saying that SDR is superior in receiver sensitivity but it's difficult to use for trunking?

D

DaveNF2G

Trunking is difficult to set up. If you have any trouble getting the SDR working in the first place, then setting up trunking will probably be a nightmare for you.

As for scanning speed, strictly speaking the SDR does not scan. What it does is much faster, but only within the bandwidth being viewed.

moonbounce

I have been using my RTL/SDR dongle for a couple of months now and I would say that as far as sensitivity is concerned the RTL dongle is not quite as sensitive as a scanner base or mobile. That being said, they are a lot of fun.

LIScanner101

I have been using my RTL/SDR dongle for a couple of months now and I would say that as far as sensitivity is concerned the RTL dongle is not quite as sensitive as a scanner base or mobile. That being said, they are a lot of fun.

I guess it depends upon the dongle. Thanks.

D

DaveNF2G

I would say that the dongles tend to be more sensitive than scanners. Few hobbyists seem to realize that having too much signal can also prevent reception of desired communications.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I would say that the dongles tend to be more sensitive than scanners. Few hobbyists seem to realize that having too much signal can also prevent reception of desired communications.

Thats why toys such as this have gain knobs :D

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to dial it back a bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.