Decoding with on/bd, disc., serial port, vac

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone compared decoding methods with say a serial port verses sound card/on-board. Or virt/auto/cbl over serial. Just wondering what maybe the best way to decode signals. Problem with serial port is that all or most of the programs for windows don't use serial. I have tried a 4-level decoder on one pc and vac on another at the same time, on the same freq. 900 pager. Seemed the 4-lvl won over the on-board/vac. Thanks, later. PS. I should mention that this was based on a sdr-rtl and a RS pro-2006 or pro-2026 tapped.

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
Hey Dave, what I was asking is if anyone compared decode results with sound card, serial port or virtual cable. Which one produced better results. PS...Dave you still have a web site up? I visited it some years ago. Thanks for the time.

D

DaveNF2G

It depends on the operating system and processor speed also.

I have always gotten much better decode results with a hardware-dependent solution like a discriminator tapped scanner, a hardware data slicer connected to a PC serial port, and DOS-based software. Everything else is either slow or kludgy to get working, or both.

My website went offline a couple of years ago. All (or most) of the information has been incorporated into the RRDB and RR Wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.