Hearing broadcast FM at 31.1 MHz with an SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpoko

Premium Subscriber
I'm brand new to radio, software defined or otherwise, so forgive me if this is a particularly stupid question. While listening with my RTL-SDR dongles, one E4000-based and the other an R820T, I can hear broadcast FM on 31.1. The station I hear on that frequency is 106.7, and both dongles pick it up. It's not the only FM station I can hear on frequencies too low for ordinary, broadcast FM. Why would I be hearing those there? Before I tried it with the R820T, I thought it must be an artifact of the SDR, since the E4000 can't go below 50 MHz, but they both pick up the same signal at the same frequencies, so I'm assuming it's really there.

SCPD

QRT
You are overloading the front end of the RTL set your gain to about 29.7 or less also turn off the RTL AGC and the TUNER AGC. Turn on OFFSET TUNNING

Hope this helps. You can copy the settings off my site in the rtl-sdr section

vpoko

Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Good to know that's all it was. Is it strange at all that the two dongles, based on different chips, picked up the same station on the same wrong frequency?

vpoko

Premium Subscriber
Yes, that does seem to eliminate it entirely. Very interesting, thanks!

SCPD

QRT
No problem. Overload was caused by the gain circuits being set way to high. Like i said before glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.