HackRF Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Lots of interesting comments about it on that site. I just ordered my HackRF One yesterday, but I don't mind paying the extra money for name brand, quality components. Still, I'd be interested to hear how they work if someone here gets one, as I have a feeling these SDR's are just as addicting as scanners are, so I'll likely be purchasing more of them in the future. ;)

-AZ

mancow

Database Admin
The HackRF is neat as heck but honestly if a person doesn't want the transmit capability and can do with only 10 MHz of bandwidth instead of 20 the Airspy is the way to go. The sensitivity and selectivity is far better.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
does anyone make an good and useful comparison between all SDR on the Market?
There is another huge porblem on Windows i saw no way to decode/ stream more than one channel.

AZScanner

does anyone make an good and useful comparison between all SDR on the Market?
There is another huge porblem on Windows i saw no way to decode/ stream more than one channel.

Easiest way (in theory) would be to install VMWare and run your SDR under a Linux virtual machine. I came close to getting it working, but opted to go for a physical machine to eliminate performance issues. But if you had a beefy enough Windows PC, I think you could do it. I'd say an Intel i5 or equivalent AMD processor minimum, with at least 8GB of RAM. See my thread in this forum for details - you might succeed where I and others did not.

-AZ

Your_account

Banned
my old one die and i need quick a new one and there is no money for another.
for the most frequency <1Ghz there isnt a big Frquency range necessary.
AIS just 2 Channel next to each other, ADS-B just one and Train Call Frequency are ~100Mhz wide.
The major Problem is there are to big gaps between all the interesting channels to use just one SDR for monitoring. So many smaller ~2Ghz Dongle make more seance than one wide.

AZScanner

The HackRF is neat as heck but honestly if a person doesn't want the transmit capability and can do with only 10 MHz of bandwidth instead of 20 the Airspy is the way to go. The sensitivity and selectivity is far better.

Yeah, PiccoIntegra also recommended that one, but I've had my heart set on the HackRF since they were first announced. I was tempted to go with the AirSpy as it's also a bit cheaper but then again maybe someday I'll want to play around with transmit capability. I guess deep down I'm just a "go big or go home" kind of guy, and since the wife OK'd me to spend the extra money, I did. ;)

What I'd really like to see someday though, would be a major scanner manufacturer step up and build SDR's - they are definitely this hobby's future. I've already watched OP25 beat the snot out of my "cutting edge" 436HP running on just a cheapo laptop and a $20 dongle with a goobered up antenna. Really excited to see what happens when I run it on a "real" computer and SDR. If it works as well as I'm hoping, it's going to change scanning our DTRS forever for me, and I can go back to shaking my head at today's $500+ digital scanners.

-AZ

Your_account

Banned
What is the different between the cheap and the more expencive SDR from the traditional company?

AZScanner

What is the different between the cheap and the more expencive SDR from the traditional company?

Stability. The more expensive ones are better at maintaining their PPM settings without drifting all over the place as the dongle heats up or cools down. I bought 2 of the cheapies and they are fun to play with, but due to the PPM drift issue they are not good for much more than just casual use and experimentation.

-AZ

davidmaynor

Not to mention Airspy has a little less than 1/3rd of the range of a HackRF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meduzi

Looked at the blue version. You get a Hackrf with parts missing. you can buy the missing parts, then put them on yourself. afterwards the price is only a few dollars less anyways, tho so it should be, you did the assembly yourself! want a Hackrf? Buy a Hackrf!

Status
Not open for further replies.