GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey
I cant search for "GPS" so i ask here...
Is there some interesting to recive with an GPS Antenna (exept the GPS Signal)?
Thanks

D

DaveNF2G

The question is somewhat nonsensical.

Antennas do not receive anything. That is what the radio is for. A GPS receiver will only receive GPS signals because that is what it is made to do. An antenna that could be connected to a GPS receiver might work as a way to bring signals into other kinds of receivers, too, but it would only be truly effective if such other receiver was tuned to frequencies similar to those used for GPS.

Try it,
GPS antennas are freq specific around 1220 and 1580 mhz or so..and polarized( not sure which way,left or right hand.) Hook it up tune in and see what you hear.
Ive been thinking of that too,I have a couple GPS antennas,but theyre both driven,Not sure if mine would work.

Its a data downlink,
I was thinking of trying it a while back,Heres a page I had bookmarked..

GPS (NMEA) Decoder

Your_account

Banned
i dont have any thats why i ask. if there anythink interesting to get like other sat systems i would buy one.
For GPS Position i use my cheap GPS Mouse *gg*.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Most, if not all, GPS antennas are "Active antennas", meaning they have an amplifier that requires voltage fed via the coax to power the amp. Without that you probably won't hear anything...of course even when powered you probably wouldn't hear much either...:D

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I think you're missing the point. As was previously mentioned, antennas don't "receive" anything, they transport a signal to a receiver, which in turn decodes/demodulates/whatever that signal and lets you hear it.

Your_account

Banned
sorry maybe the translations isnt the best. that is the exact definition what i mean with recive.
So how can i get the power into this antenna?
And is there any service who use an frequency near by?

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This link gives the exact frequencies for GPS bands. What will you hear? Nothing that you can listen to. A GPS receiver uses a composite of the signals from several satellites to determine position etc. Listening to only one frequency will provide no useful information.

There is an amateur radio band at 1.240 to 1.300 Ghz. A GPS antenna would not be the most efficient antenna to monitor these frequencies.

GNSS Frequencies and Signals

Your_account

Banned
are there any other "small" Antennas for Satellite Data reception?

D

DaveNF2G

Maybe, but GPS antennas can be so small for two reasons.

1) The frequency they use has an extremely short wavelength.

2) There are a lot of satellites transmitting and they do so at relatively high power (for a satellite).

The typical satellite signal is extremely weak by the time it reaches Earth's surface, so you need a lot of antenna and an amplifier to capture anything usable. You also need the right size dish for the frequency range being used by the satellite.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Most, if not all, GPS antennas are "Active antennas", meaning they have an amplifier that requires voltage fed via the coax to power the amp. Without that you probably won't hear anything...of course even when powered you probably wouldn't hear much either...:D

Is that the same for a SiriusXM antenna? I have a stiletto 2 and it has a headphone with a built in antenna and the connector is unique. It's not like a stereo cable.

Your_account

Banned
oh that is an usa only sat system.
How about Inmarsat, Thuraya, Globalstar?
The use small Phone with an "small" Antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.