Airspy -- stops functioning during settings changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I'd love to have simply posted this on the Airspy forums, but it's a pain for me to create an account there just to make a single post. Sorry, Youssef :)

I've run the Airspy on three machines now, two 4th gen i5 boxes and a 3rd gen i7 box. All of them with USB 3.0 support and latest drivers. All machines are running Windows 7P 64-bit I have no problem running at 10 MS.

My problem is that when I'm changing settings, regardless of what application I'm in (SDR#, Linux, SDR-Radio), when I change settings the Airspy will often stop communicating. This forces me to have to manually walk over to the machine and pull the USB cable [I play nice and remove the USB hardware from within Windows and when it says it is safe to remove it I remove it]. I'll wait about 5 seconds and plug the AIrspy back in. At that point I can communicate with the Airspy again.

If I fire the Airspy up and manage to set some settings and leave it, it'll run for days without issue. The issue is when I change sample rates or decimation rates, or sometimes even when I simply go and click Stop in SDR#. Airspy will become unresponsive; I'll have to forcefully shut down SDR#; I'll have to manually remove / re-insert the Airspy.

I'm wondering if anyone else using the Airspy has run into this, or if this is something unique to / [broken in] my Airspy.

Mike

Voyager

I registered with the forum. Never got the confirmation email. When I try to recover my PW, it says the server email is disabled. And I can't get anyone to answer in any forum. COMPLIMENTS get answered on the email list within minutes of them being posted, but requests for help get blown off. Two of us are asking for help there.

And my AS is still in Hong Kong (according to the tracking) despite it being shipped nearly two weeks ago.

It's a shame, as those guys seem to know SW and HW, but if there is no product support aside from thanking those who compliment them, it might be a waste of money.

I DID read that there may be a firmware update, but again I can't get any info on it. That might resolve your issue.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
Hi Mike,

We I use the airspy in OP25 when I click the tabs the same thing happens but I can click back and then its OK. Strange

I'd love to have simply posted this on the Airspy forums, but it's a pain for me to create an account there just to make a single post. Sorry, Youssef :)

I've run the Airspy on three machines now, two 4th gen i5 boxes and a 3rd gen i7 box. All of them with USB 3.0 support and latest drivers. All machines are running Windows 7P 64-bit I have no problem running at 10 MS.

My problem is that when I'm changing settings, regardless of what application I'm in (SDR#, Linux, SDR-Radio), when I change settings the Airspy will often stop communicating. This forces me to have to manually walk over to the machine and pull the USB cable [I play nice and remove the USB hardware from within Windows and when it says it is safe to remove it I remove it]. I'll wait about 5 seconds and plug the AIrspy back in. At that point I can communicate with the Airspy again.

If I fire the Airspy up and manage to set some settings and leave it, it'll run for days without issue. The issue is when I change sample rates or decimation rates, or sometimes even when I simply go and click Stop in SDR#. Airspy will become unresponsive; I'll have to forcefully shut down SDR#; I'll have to manually remove / re-insert the Airspy.

I'm wondering if anyone else using the Airspy has run into this, or if this is something unique to / [broken in] my Airspy.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I registered with the forum. Never got the confirmation email. When I try to recover my PW, it says the server email is disabled. And I can't get anyone to answer in any forum. COMPLIMENTS get answered on the email list within minutes of them being posted, but requests for help get blown off. Two of us are asking for help there.

And my AS is still in Hong Kong (according to the tracking) despite it being shipped nearly two weeks ago.

It's a shame, as those guys seem to know SW and HW, but if there is no product support aside from thanking those who compliment them, it might be a waste of money.

I DID read that there may be a firmware update, but again I can't get any info on it. That might resolve your issue.

I"ve yet to require support. Then again, from what I've read, I shouldn't expect too much from Youssef. But, in his defense, I knew that going in heh.

Hopefully this thread will allow me to at least get an idea as to whether it's my Airspy that is malfunctioning or its a driver / USB issue. It's really irritating, especially when the boxes I run this stuff on are headless and I RDP in because they aren't right next to me.

I had read your posts about your experience with shipping delays and nobody talking to you. But I think that's something you would need to address with Itead.Com directly. They are the ones who need to provide you with details on why your unit is delayed, etc. Mine took a while to get here, but not anywhere near yours. I saw progress almost daily when I would check on the shipping status. That is, once it left Hong Kong.

As for the firmware update, the only firmware update I'm aware of is the one that allows experimental 3/6 MS support. And from what I read, one has to compile it themselves [which involves installing things I have no need or desire to install on my system]. To my knowledge, the experimental firmware is not available in a 'ready-to-flash' package. Argh.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hi Mike,

We I use the airspy in OP25 when I click the tabs the same thing happens but I can click back and then its OK. Strange

I think what you are experiencing is unrelated. I say that because if I lose communication with the Airspy over USB, it isn't ever coming back unless I yank the AIrspy and re-insert it. There is no warning or anything -- it just stops communicating, and by that time it's past the point of no return.

Mike

Voyager

I"ve yet to require support. Then again, from what I've read, I shouldn't expect too much from Youssef. But, in his defense, I knew that going in heh.

I had read your posts about your experience with shipping delays and nobody talking to you. But I think that's something you would need to address with Itead.Com directly. They are the ones who need to provide you with details on why your unit is delayed, etc. Mine took a while to get here, but not anywhere near yours. I saw progress almost daily when I would check on the shipping status. That is, once it left Hong Kong.

I contacted iMall/iTead. They are the ones that confirmed that it did ship. They said that is all the support they could offer (which makes sense, as they don't manage the forum or email list).

I don't really need it to be Youssef who replies - just someone who can help with the forum registration and give an estimate of shipping time. I tried to get a shipping source before ordering, but that info was not forthcoming. For all I knew it was coming from the USA or maybe UK which is where the email list is based. Still, I've ordered from HK before and had items in less than a week. I don't expect expedited shipping, but someone should be able to answer why it's still showing as "preparing shipment" when the email list announcement said all prepaid units were shipped.

I was reading about a firmware update, but didn't really pay attention to it yet, as I have nothing to put the update into. I have also read of some people who had bad units from the first batch. Come to think of it, maybe try a different USB cable, as I read that helped some issues. WHY that would be, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was reading about a firmware update, but didn't really pay attention to it yet, as I have nothing to put the update into. I have also read of some people who had bad units from the first batch. Come to think of it, maybe try a different USB cable, as I read that helped some issues. WHY that would be, I don't know, but it's worth a shot.

I don't like to spend time trying to make sense of something that doesn't make sense [works fine for days if I don't touch it, loses communication once I start fidding with settings]. But, you're right, I better try another USB cable and see what happens. At least then, if it is suggested that it might be a USB cable problem I can say "Negative Houston" :)

Mike

PS: I sent you an email

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I contacted iMall/iTead. They are the ones that confirmed that it did ship. They said that is all the support they could offer (which makes sense, as they don't manage the forum or email list).

Since they confirmed that it shipped, you have tracking information available to you over at Itead ( https://imall.iteadstudio.com/customer/account/ ) no?

When mine shipped, I got an email from Itead like:

ITEAD Studio: Shipment # 1000xxxxx for Order # 1000xxxxx

In that email, there was a DHL tracking number.

Did you get as far as getting confirmation from them [via email] that is shipped and tracking # information [via either email or inside your account at Itead's account system] ?

Mike

Voyager

Yes on confirmation and tracking. I've been watching the tracking which is what is showing the "origin is preparing shipment" message.

prog

Premium Subscriber

Mike

Get the first firmware update from: https://github.com/airspy/firmware/releases

cg

Premium Subscriber
I have the exact same problem with my Airspy. If I change from 2.5 to 10.0, that is usually the killer. Since I usually let it run on the same settings I don't run into the problem very often but it is easy to duplicate.

chris

prog

Premium Subscriber
I have the exact same problem with my Airspy. If I change from 2.5 to 10.0, that is usually the killer. Since I usually let it run on the same settings I don't run into the problem very often but it is easy to duplicate.

chris

Same cause, same consequences. Just update the firmware.
The upcoming firmware updates will add more functionality, so keep watching that page.

Voyager

Included in the update is:

Fix freeze on start/stop with some boards

While not exactly the issue described, it might be related, hence be fixed.

BTW, I finally got a reply from AS a couple hours ago on the email list. The forum registration issue is taken care of, and they assure me my AS is in the USA somewhere, and has been for a week*.

* Actually, they said "it was in the USA two days after shipment" and iMall says shipment was on 1/2/15.

Last edited:

prog

Premium Subscriber
Included in the update is:

Fix freeze on start/stop with some boards

While not exactly the issue described, it might be related, hence be fixed.

BTW, I finally got a reply from AS a couple hours ago on the email list. The forum registration issue is taken care of, and they assure me my AS is in the USA somewhere, and has been for a week*.

* Actually, they said "two days after shipment" and iMall says shipment was on 1/2/15.

Changing the sample rate requires a restart of the streaming session.
And congrats for your new device. Flashing is not required for the second batch. (Neither for the first one if there are no problems).

Voyager

Thanks for the note about flashing... er.... you know what I mean.

Now if only it would GET here.

As I've posted elsewhere, I have a number of RTLs, and I hope all the reports I read about the AS blowing them away are true.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The reports are true. You will wonder how you got by using a dongle.

The forum really needs a "Like" button. I'm with you on the Airspy. Best money I've ever spent on a receiver. Granted, UT / T88 / DSD+ and all the other apps out there also are part of the fun, but the Airspy is a great performer.

M

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The reports are true. You will wonder how you got by using a dongle.

The forum really needs a "Like" button. I'm with you on the Airspy. Best money I've ever spent on a receiver. Granted, UT / T88 / DSD+ and all the other apps out there also are part of the fun, but the Airspy is a great performer.

M

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

Youssef,

The updated firmware available at that link is working great so far. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet using the new firmware.

Of course, time will tell. But if I still don't have issues on a regular basis after tomorrow, I'd have to call it "fixed'.

Thanks!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.