My $65 portable dual SDR setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jparks29

John McClane
When the SDR dongles were first becoming popular, I went out and bought one...

I quickly realized some shortcomings.

1. RFI, and a LOT of it... unshielded dongles, and virtually no front end filtering.... even without an antenna connected there were spikes across the band...
2. You need more than one! Whether you're using it with DSD or unitrunker or just screwing around, you need at least 2!
3. Too many wires! USB cables and antenna cables and... way too much clutter...

So, with that in mind, I dun fixt it!

Parts list.

1 - Ebay special no name rx - ~$20
1 - Amazon special no name rx - ~$20
2 - BNC-3199P (Isolated BNC bulkhead jack) - $1.59 ea
2 - 6" (ish) sections of RG-174 from my junk drawer ($Free$)
1 - 20' Active USB extension cable - $10
1 - Hammond 1590BB enclosure - $7
1 - low profile hub - $4
1 - RF choke - $1

A couple minutes with a soldering iron and a couple holes drilled and I was done!

RFI is gone, although front end does get overloaded if gain is set too high when on an external antenna...

It's now small/easily transportable, which means it now goes in my pelican case with my laptop, super easy for travel.

With a BNC 'T', I can bridge both connectors to use a single antenna. I also can run discrete antennas for optimal band reception.

jparks29

John McClane
Ever think of going into business hooking this up for fellow SDR hobbyist?

Needs to look a lot prettier... hehe...

I'd want to use jumpers instead of soldering and a couple other things... which would increase cost, but make upgrading to newer models, easier.

TBH, any hobbyist should be able to do this, it's not rocket surgery.

mikepdx

Excellent work!

If you go into business, remember Uniden's secret for success -
charge a fortune, leave out the promised advertised features,
lie, then remain mum about their ETA.
Easy money.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
the problem for me is i need the same but with one antenna.
So when i travel the are more interesting frequency like ACARS who send (in Europe) on the 131 and 136 frequency.

haleve

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Me Too

the problem for me is i need the same but with one antenna.
So when i travel the are more interesting frequency like ACARS who send (in Europe) on the 131 and 136 frequency.

I am looking to have one enclosure fashioned for me too with two NooElect sticks that would be connected to a 40 MHz DIY dipole feeding my PC as an SDR & a BCD996XT for low band scanning & DX'ing, would that work or am I missing something?

6 Meter Repeater Antenna 1/2 Wave Coaxial Vertical Antenna Design

Apex SPL-2 Splitter and Combiner

jparks29

John McClane
I use a BNC T and a jumper to bridge the connections when only 1 antenna is needed.

For separate applications, like simultaneous ACARS and ADSB, one is VHF and one is L band (UHF), so separate antennas are required.....

A discone would work, but it's equally good (and equally bad) across its rated range... whereas separate antennas can be designed for the band you want to monitor.

jacknifedbl

i have my first SDR dongle on the way i was wondering about RFI myself, but this seems to be about the same thing i had planned to do to help keep it down...i had not though about running 2 like that but i may have to get another ordered... everything i was wonder about if it would work seems to be answered in this build.. nice build btw!!

Status
Not open for further replies.