Raspberry Pi 2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkfish457

From their web page:

Let's get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:
•A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
•1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
•Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

Raspberry Pi 2 on sale now at $35 | Raspberry Pi

Attachments

• Pi.png
    Pi.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,740

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Oh Boy! Maybe we have enough horsepower finally to run some of the SDR software suites or DSD/DSDPlus!
I will have to pick one up for sure.......

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I REALLY, REALLY would love to put OP25 on this thing and build a portable or mobile P-25 scanner, it would be really cool even if you could only listen to a small pre-programmed list of talkgroups. I know next to nothing about ARM, is it possible to put Mint or Ubuntu on this contraption?

My big dream is to build a slightly-oversized mobile scanner with 4-8 ARM processors each running OP25 with discrete RTL SDR sticks, and simply park each instance of OP25 on a single talkgroup...

Markb

Premium Subscriber
The specs say it will run at least a form of Ubuntu. I would be surprised if OP25 would run on one. I am not even sure if any form of DSD will work. Either way, we are getting close to having the computing power to do these kind of projects.
I really want to get my hands on one.....

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
The specs say it will run at least a form of Ubuntu. I would be surprised if OP25 would run on one. I am not even sure if any form of DSD will work. Either way, we are getting close to having the computing power to do these kind of projects.
I really want to get my hands on one.....

Yeah, you're probably right. I can barely run OP25 on a 2 Ghz AMD box with 1 Gig of ram; it runs pretty good but it takes 100% CPU all the time. Perhaps you could split up certain key functions that consume a lot of CPU and run OP25 or other DSD programs on 2 or even 3 of these units chained together. But yeah, I definitely need to play with one of these as well!

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would be happy when i can use a Pi to send ADS-B Data over the network.
Nobody give me an answer for my question.

jacknifedbl

Raspberry Pi 2 and a SDR dongle... interesting w the quad core 900 mhz seems like a home brew awesome scanner for less than 100.00 put in to the project could rival a high end scanner...

foxtail

Premium Subscriber
I doubt very much you will be able to run dsd on this r pi2. It needs lots of cpu to run even for desktop. And I doubt even more that you can find a R pi2 in Canada for 35 bucks!! Nope. I have 2 rpi+b I am still playing with. Just trying to find the right Linux to run. Have tried Kali 1.10...little slow. I think it would take quiet awhile for it to break my wpa password....like 30 days...lol

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Sure. There's links at the main Raspberry Pi site, and Google is your friend for finding others...

Status
Not open for further replies.