best advice on under 100.00 SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

danesgs

I have the RTL-SDR 2832 and it does a great job above 24 MHZ. I am looking for user comments on the "best bang" for under 100.00 bucks SDR. I know that is a seeded question but there should be some consensus on what works best in that price range. Thanks in advance.

KJ4DGE

kma371

QRT
Well you mention above 24MHz specifically, were you trying to go below that?

kma371

QRT
nooelec sells a downconverter called " ham it up" which covers the HF portion.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you live in an urban area, there's a pretty fair possibility of BCB or FM station overload if you use a good sized antenna. There are filters you can buy to remedy this.

Don't go too big on the antenna, and you likely won't have quite as many problems. Mike

KB9ERU

HamItUp

I have 4 NESDR mini's + HamItUp upconverter + SDR# (using 4 separate instances) that I use often. Yep, you can run multiple dongles on a single upconverter. 4 at once is PLENTY for me!

I'd recommend adding a HamItUp to your arsenal, as it gives you access below 24 MHz. If you decide to go that route, I'd highly recommend putting it in an enclosure. I sprung for the nice aluminum one they sell.

I compared my setup against my Yaesu FT-840 transceiver. Whatever I heard on the NESDR + HamItUp + SDR#, I was able to hear on the Yaesu. The Yaesu has a better edge with all the internal filtering, but it also cost a lot more than $100 :)

Mick

BrotherStare

everybody's default answer is dongle+"hamitup"

but by the time you buy the dongle, the enclosure, extra cable etc youre spending close to $100

for roughly the same price you can get a DX patrol sdr. It's basically the same "brain" as the above combo but it's all in one package and has a lower noise floor. don't confuse this with the chinese ebay ones people have been having problems with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8qW2Z-SfHc

the only disadvantage is orders are shipped slowly due to high demand.

BrotherStare

that was my point hamitup with the case, a dongle and the pigtail to connect them comes to $97.95.

I'd rather pay a few bucks more and have it all in one neat package with a lower noise floor to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.