Airspy USB socket woes (and a warning to owners)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boatanchor

After using my Airspy for a few months I plugged in a USB lead one day and proceeded to see the USB socket dissapear inside the unit's case. On opening the case, I discovered that the micro USB socket had fallen off the PCB.

The micro USB socket contacts are surface mount soldered to the PCB while the socket itself is secured (supposedly) to the PCB via two small side case/shield pins.

The two socket case pins on my unit were 'dry' soldered to the board and this eventually caused the socket to fail since all the stress of plugging in and unplugging cables, was eventually placed on the 5 SMD contact pins.

This is a warning to all Airspy owners...

Take the time to pull your unit apart and have a look at the micro USB socket (before it fails).
Check the soldering on the socket's mounting pins and possibly even consider using some form of additional bracing. But, be carefull!! That socket is fragile and if you damage it, good luck repairing it.

I ordered 5x replacement micro USB sockets, since 2 of the 5 pins had broken off the original socket.
I damaged 2 new sockets trying to SMD mount the new socket to the PCB, using a hot air re-work station. I succeeded on the 3rd socket but even with the right hot air gear, it is a pig of a job to replace by hand.

Attachments

• IMG_20150305_134441297.jpg
    IMG_20150305_134441297.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,836
  • IMG_20150306_101003367.jpg
    IMG_20150306_101003367.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,453

prog

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

The recommended procedure when such things happen is to contact Itead for a repair or replacement. It looks like it's a common problem in the HAM world. BladeRF, HackRF and USRPs all have had their share of Micro USB connectors popping out of the PCB. Although this is a relatively rare phenomenon, we took note of the problem and engaged to improve the mechanical durability of Airspies in the 3rd batch being currently assembled.
Can you send me your name, address and order number to info at airspy com so I can take care of your problem?

Boatanchor

Hi,

The recommended procedure when such things happen is to contact Itead for a repair or replacement. It looks like it's a common problem in the HAM world. BladeRF, HackRF and USRPs all have had their share of Micro USB connectors popping out of the PCB. Although this is a relatively rare phenomenon, we took note of the problem and engaged to improve the mechanical durability of Airspies in the 3rd batch being currently assembled.
Can you send me your name, address and order number to info at airspy com so I can take care of your problem?

Excellent news that action has been taken to strengthen the USB sockets on the new batches - well done :)

I have since repaired my unit and do not require any further remedial action - Thank you for the offer though.

By the way, great product guys. Having a lot of fun with it..

prog

Premium Subscriber
Thank you dude. As you know, we don't do any publicity for Airspy. We rely solely on feedbacks from real people like you, so I always make sure everybody is satisfied.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thank you dude. As you know, we don't do any publicity for Airspy. We rely solely on feedbacks from real people like you, so I always make sure everybody is satisfied.

Really? I may need to hit you up then. Because I've had an issue with the jack in mine after the first week. My eyesight and dexterity aren't good enough that I should be diving into the innards to try and fix. I just know that if I move the cable/airspy a millimeter while its plugged in, it loses connectivity and I have to unplug the USB, find a good spot where the airspy is sitting and functioning, and then fire it back up. That's tough for me because I run it on a laptop and thus need to often move it around.

Mike

Yagi23

I think you must have had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote this ;-)

Why did you go for a micro USB socket anyway. I find these very flaky and not at all mechanically robust. The one on my Nexus 7 tablet has to be constantly fiddled with to ensure it keeps charging. I can see why they are used on phones and tablets (because they are so thin), but on the Airspy, surely you had space for something more stable and robust like a USB B connector?

prog

Premium Subscriber
Really? I may need to hit you up then. Because I've had an issue with the jack in mine after the first week. My eyesight and dexterity aren't good enough that I should be diving into the innards to try and fix. I just know that if I move the cable/airspy a millimeter while its plugged in, it loses connectivity and I have to unplug the USB, find a good spot where the airspy is sitting and functioning, and then fire it back up. That's tough for me because I run it on a laptop and thus need to often move it around.

Mike

You must have a cable problem otherwise the AS won't work at all. Use a smart phone cable to be sure.

prog

Premium Subscriber
I think you must have had your tongue firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote this ;-)

Why did you go for a micro USB socket anyway. I find these very flaky and not at all mechanically robust. The one on my Nexus 7 tablet has to be constantly fiddled with to ensure it keeps charging. I can see why they are used on phones and tablets (because they are so thin), but on the Airspy, surely you had space for something more stable and robust like a USB B connector?

Are you insinuating that a 5cm device should have a USB B connector? Your Nexus 7 is three times bigger than AS and still uses a Micro B connector. There's a good reason for that: The stress applied to that connector will bend the PCB and pop out most of the SMD components, especially the BGA ones. Given the small size and the density of Airspy, this is not practical.
It's obvious that Google engineers followed the same reasoning to end up with a Micro B connector in your Nexus 7.

Yagi23

Are you insinuating that a 5cm device should have a USB B connector?

Sure why not?

Your Nexus 7 is three times bigger than AS and still uses a Micro B connector

I know, I already said that.

The stress applied to that connector will bend the PCB and pop out most of the SMD components, especially the BGA ones.

Utter nonsense. If that were true, the totally inflexible SMA RF connector, which is subjected to significant stress when the antenna cable is tightened, would have already done this.

It's obvious that Google engineers followed the same reasoning to end up with a Micro B connector in your Nexus 7.

I think it is obvious that the Nexus 7 is too thin to accommodate anything other than a micro B connector as I already said. The Airspy isn't. Anyway, I was only asking why the choice was made? Ultimately, it is up to you what connector you use on the Airspy. You just have to accept the consequences of something that is likely to be fairly unreliable as a number of people have already observed.
I quite like the Airspy. It isn't a bad product for the price. Not perfect for sure, but there are one or two things that I would have preferred to have seen done differently. The connector is one of them.

prog

Premium Subscriber
Utter nonsense. If that were true, the totally inflexible SMA RF connector, which is subjected to significant stress when the antenna cable is tightened, would have already done this.

Right. Then start your own design based on your own convictions. Let me know when you get hands into BGA chips. :)

I think it is obvious that the Nexus 7 is too thin to accommodate anything other than a micro B connector as I already said.

So does Airspy. You're definitely overlooking the minimum spacing parameters.

Ultimately, it is up to you what connector you use on the Airspy. You just have to accept the consequences of something that is likely to be fairly unreliable as a number of people have already observed.

You're a bit unfair here. When less than 1% of the total units break because of the tough mechanical stress of HAM shacks, we cannot speak of design failure. It sure can be improved with a much bigger PCB and a ruggedized enclosure and the final price will just double. For the current batch, we opted for a slightly improved assembly procedure and QA. Hey, if you broke the USB connector of your phone, you sure can break anything ;-)

Yagi23

Right. Then start your own design based on your own convictions. Let me know when you get hands into BGA chips. :)

I have been an electronic engineer for over 30 years, many of which have been spent working for semiconductor companies where our reference designs used just those kind of BGA packages that you are referring to. So I am well aware of stress issues associated with SMDs. Indeed you have illustrated the issue nicely by the use of a very small surface mount USB connector which sacrificially shears off if subjected to too much stress

However, you have conflated two issues here, namely form factor and mechanical reliability. I believe you with the first, but feel you were being disingenuous with the second.

So does Airspy. You're definitely overlooking the minimum spacing parameters.

This is the crux of what I feel is the real reason for the choice of connector. If you were dealing off-the-shelf mechanicals where the design HAD to fit into a given volume, then this might be a reasonable factor that drove the choice of a smaller connector. If on the other hand, you had custom mechanicals, then the only reason for sticking with the micro B connector is aesthetics. The conventional full size USB B connector wouldn't actually have made for a significantly larger unit, but perhaps in some people's eyes, it might not have looked as aesthetically pleasing. Then again, perhaps no one would have really cared, who knows? It certainly would have been more rugged. These are choices we have to make and we then have to live with the consequences. Comparing the cable to a phone charging cable isn't really reasonable. For a start, you have having to push very high speed data down this cable where as a phone charging cable only needs to provide power. Secondly, people have had to add things like ferrites to the cables to help reduce the impact of noise from the PC to the RF performance of the Airspy. Both of these factors make for a bulkier cable that is likely to place more stress on the connector.

NYG

Ettus Research initially designed the USRP B2x0 boards with a micro USB3 connector and later revised the boards to a standard connector to make it more robust.I don't know what their failure rate was, or the potential for failure that was seen, but something prompted the change.

I have one of the original B200 boards and carved out a metal case for it that is fairly tight around the micro usb3 to help protect it. I've seen my kids destroy micro connectors in record time so I'm always concerned with them on any of my devices that use them.

If the board size and design can support a more robust connector it should be a welcome change, if not people just need to be ultra careful.

For potential buyers it's good to see the positives and potential negatives in a thread like this.

mancow

Database Admin
Sure why not?

I know, I already said that.

I think it is obvious that the Nexus 7 is too thin to accommodate anything other than a micro B connector as I already said. The Airspy isn't. Anyway, I was only asking why the choice was made? Ultimately, it is up to you what connector you use on the Airspy. You just have to accept the consequences of something that is likely to be fairly unreliable as a number of people have already observed.
I quite like the Airspy. It isn't a bad product for the price. Not perfect for sure, but there are one or two things that I would have preferred to have seen done differently. The connector is one of them.

The RF connector is secured to the front plate. Apples to oranges.

I am happy they used the micro connector. It's standardized, I have a ton of them. It's not enormous like the nooelec upconverter. Unless you are doing something strange there is no reason the micro connector would be subjected to any more stress than any other device.

NYG

The RF connector is secured to the front plate. Apples to oranges.

I am happy they used the micro connector. It's standardized, I have a ton of them. It's not enormous like the nooelec upconverter. Unless you are doing something strange there is no reason the micro connector would be subjected to any more stress than any other device.

If the RF connector is secured to the plate that should also help prevent flex in the board from a standard connector if that's a concern.

My own personal preference is a standard connector, simply because I trust them more in the long term.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I really got tired of the intermittent connection between the Airspy and the micro-usb plug on my cable. I could have sworn it was a bad/loose jack on the Airspy. Yesterday I had planned on making a nasty post to Youssef, especially since he offered to help somebody else get theirs fixed. When I described my problem he felt it was the USB cable, and I felt he was full of crap.

Yesterday, out of frustration I decided to look into things further, and indeed there was nothing wrong with the Airspy. it was indeed the micro-USB connector on the end of the cable that came with my original Airspy. In fact, all I did was simply compress the connector on the end of the cable a miniscule amount, and it now has a solid connection.

I am going to get a new cable anyway, but things are working great now. The only thing that could make me happier is if DSD+ and Unitrunker would work with my USB 3 ports.

At any rate, I apologize to Youssef. The Airspy was not at fault.

Mike

prog

Premium Subscriber
I really got tired of the intermittent connection between the Airspy and the micro-usb plug on my cable. I could have sworn it was a bad/loose jack on the Airspy. Yesterday I had planned on making a nasty post to Youssef, especially since he offered to help somebody else get theirs fixed. When I described my problem he felt it was the USB cable, and I felt he was full of crap.

Yesterday, out of frustration I decided to look into things further, and indeed there was nothing wrong with the Airspy. it was indeed the micro-USB connector on the end of the cable that came with my original Airspy. In fact, all I did was simply compress the connector on the end of the cable a miniscule amount, and it now has a solid connection.

I am going to get a new cable anyway, but things are working great now. The only thing that could make me happier is if DSD+ and Unitrunker would work with my USB 3 ports.

At any rate, I apologize to Youssef. The Airspy was not at fault.

Mike

Hi Mike,

No pb. Please send me your order number by mail to youssef at airspy.com. I'll ask Itead to send you one of these new cables.

Youssef

Airspy-US

Youssef,

Would you like us to send him one out of our stock which should be here Wednesday? (Free of charge of course)

He would likely receive it Thursday if we receive our delivery early enough.

prog

Premium Subscriber
Youssef,

Would you like us to send him one out of our stock which should be here Wednesday? (Free of charge of course)

He would likely receive it Thursday if we receive our delivery early enough.

That would be even better!

Airspy-US

Happy to do it. Mike, can you PM or email us your address (email preferred if possible).

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Hello,

I emailed Youssef. I didn't know of another email address to email the information to. I attempted to look on the Airspy site, but it isnt' coming up for me right now.

I will PM you the order number / info though.

Thanks!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.