sdr# dsd+ unitrunker antenna delima?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgilk1

so i guess i am having a hard time grasping the concept..

So i had to hold off getting a uniden 996xt due to price and funds right now (maintance and upkeep on a 22 year daily driven truck was more important) any ways enough of that

In the mean time. thought i would play with some RTL2832U & R820T sdr tv tuners bought a pair of really cheap ones because they fit the budget

As listed in the title i am planning on setting them up as a p25 trunking scanner...

Here is the hard part right now i am in an rv so having 2 antennacraft st4 discones 20 feet up is not an option the rv has a rotatable yagi already on the roof and withsome creative engineering i should be anle to turn it vertically

The question can i run 2 recieve only units off of a single non amplified yagi?

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
The question can i run 2 recieve only units off of a single non amplified yagi?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you can. That's how I have set it up.

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
i use BNC -T adapter splitter with 2 x BNC male plug to MCX male plug right angle to connect to the dongles.

bharvey2

I built a corner reflector for 800MHZ and ran one length of RG6Q to a splitter inside the house where I use F to MCX adapters into two dongles. Locate the antenna in the proper position and direction and it receives pretty well. (I also found that a 300 to 75ohm balun and shielding the dongles in a metal case improved things as well) I've tried it with and without an amp, and tried the antenna in multiple locations. Living in the middle of a P25 simulcast system, it turns our that less is more. No amp and lowering the antenna improved reception in my case. I building an antenna isn't in your bag of tricks, you might look at some of the off the shelf, newer digital TV antennas. They're pretty small, built to approximately the right frequency range and can be pretty cheap. Just make sure that you orient it vertically.

bharvey2

jgilk1

I have all the other bands covered and the reason i was looking at a tv antenna is they cover all the p25 channles in my areas and my farthest out p25 simalcasts both come off of mica peak and i have issues with the 147.200 repeater right next to them on bad days instead of building my own yagi prebuilt is better

jgilk1

Attempt 4 at this same posr... uni tracker question
1 dongle for control station 1 dongle for reception of the broadcast frwquency i understand that...
Question is
Do i need 1 dongle for each control station (can i name them) or can i setup unitracker to easily listen to or ignore specific control stations

With out counting there are about 25 control stations i want to listen to depending on the activities i am involved in... In my head that sounds funny typed out that sounds like im involved in illegal activities... Which isnt the intention but after 4 times of it erasing everything im tired of retyping

Oh and btw i havent come across it yet but can i tie in gps and track location of the signal? Is that a thing that is possible with p25?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.