Cross Country Wireless Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissim

Hi:

I've searched the forums and haven't found much. In the past, I've owned two Winradio G31DDC receivers. Although I found them excellent, I'm an active ham so I sold them both to finance more ham gear.

As it turns out, I've accomplished many of my goals in amateur radio, so I'm back to listening more than taking an active part. Because I am not as enamored with radio as I once was, I don't want to spend an arm and a leg. I would also like the option of using the receiver I get as a panadapter for my transceiver (I have the option on my rig). I've considered an LP-Pan or even a Elecraft P3, but I would like to occasionally be able to monitor (listen to) the bands, so it has to be a receiver.

Any thoughts on the Cross County Wireless 4+? Is there another SDR I should be considering in that price range? Remember, it will serve double duty as a panadapter for my transceiver and I don't expect it to be in the same quality range as the Winradio, which is fine.

Hope I haven't been redundant.

Thanks.

Token

What is the IF frequency that you would be using to feed a pan (this will the transceiver specific)? Different radios have different IFs. Also keep in mind you want to select a minimally filtered IF, if your radio is multiple conversion.

If you are going to use an SDR as a panadapter also keep in mind what software package works with that specific SDR. Some software packages allow for direct tuning of the transceiver, with corrected frequency offsets and such, and this kind of setup is much more convenient. Of course any SDR that covers the frequency range of your IF can be used as a pan, but some are better at it than others.

The 4+ is a sound card based SDR with a built in sound card. It also has the ability to ship the I/Q out to an external sound card. With that said the maximum bandwidth the SDR will display using the internal is about 48 kHz, using an external this might be increased to about 192 kHz (sound card specific dependent). Not a super wide panadapter, but not too shabby, particularly with the external option. I have not used the 4+, but have used similar designs.

Something like the SoftRock Ensemble II will have roughly the same performance, at half the price or less, but will only work with a separate sound card (has no built in sound card). I have used and own the Ensemble II.

In the same price range as the 4+ you could get the AFEDRI SDR-Net, with up to 1850 kHz displayed bandwidth. The SDR-Net has a 30 MHz top frequency though, keep that in mind when looking at the IF of your transceiver. I have used the SDR-Net and it is a decent receiver, not quite G31 quality, but still good.

Again for roughly the same price you could get the AFEDRI SDR-USB-HS, with up to 920 kHz displayed bandwidth but including frequency coverage up to 1700 MHz. I have not used the SDR-USB-HS, so I am going totally on specs and other peoples reports.

For slightly higher cost you could use the RFSapce SDR-IQ. This is a decent SDR but also limited to 192 kHz displayed bandwidth, again with a 30 MHz top frequency. While a decent SDR this is quite an aged design now. I have used and owned the SDR-IQ.

In the same cost realm as the SDR-IQ is the Elad FDM-S2, but this SDR operates up to above 170 MHz. This is quite a good SDR. While I have used and do own one of these I really do not favor it, something about the software I just can’t seem to get used to.

The announced but not yet delivered RFSpace CloudSDR would also be a good option in the same price range as the SDR-IQ and the Elad FDM-S2. I have used a beta version remotely (online) and it seems to be quite a decent SDR. It was indicated that when sale start there would be multiple price points with different capabilities.

T!

chrissim

Thank you both for your replies. Token, I've always been impressed with your knowledge, thanks for the detailed info.

From the FTDX 3000 manual regarding the IF out: "This RCA jack outputs the receiver 9 MHz IF signal." I considered your advice, Token, and went with a Softrock Ensemble II. It arrives in a couple of days. From what I have read, it's quite a project to configure it. Will give me something to diligently work on this weekend.

It's too bad I didn't keep one of the Excaliburs I had. Maybe it was possible to put that in line.

I will be using my PC internal sound card to begin with just to get things going. I"ll go with an external if I find the panadapter option indispensable.

The Elecraft P3 is still tempting, but from youtube videos, the resolution doesn't look nearly as crisp on the P3 as it does with other options.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.