Google Chrome Radio Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I came across this fantastic super simplistic radio receiver software by Google Chrome for RTL SDR dongles. It has AM, NFM, WFM, USB and LSB. You can set the stepping frequency to any value, you can save frequencies ( or presets ) while it won't scan them it allows you to select them manually. If you have an upconverter to go along with your dongle you can scan 0 to 30 mhz as it has an upconverter for frequency off set. The frequency range is unlimited as far as I can see.

The only downside I see is that you can't pipe your signal to DSDplus to decode digital. So anyways here is the link if you want to give it a shot.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ajkghmifldohpo?utm_source=chrome-ntp-launcher

All you have to do is launch the app and it will be on your desktop,

Moonbounce

JimTailor

Chrome SDR looks interesting

This looks interesting. Surprised I haven't stumbled across it before now. I am in the USA and receive WBFM and local WX stations. No converter in the system. When I enter NBFM mode and enter the frequency for the local WX station or any of the local public service frequencies and hit "enter" the frequency is deleted. Can't seem to find any other way to make the frequency I stick. What am I missing?

frazpo

When I enter NBFM mode and enter the frequency for the local WX station or any of the local public service frequencies and hit "enter" the frequency is deleted. Can't seem to find any other way to make the frequency I stick. What am I missing?

Same results. Neat program though!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I installed this and it appears that in free tuning mode you need to enterthe frequency in Hz rather than MHz. not as sensitive as SDR# but easy to use.

frazpo

I installed this and it appears that in free tuning mode you need to enterthe frequency in Hz rather than MHz. not as sensitive as SDR# but easy to use.
Tried that. Read your post and it worked. Your either good luck or I entered wrong first time. Thanks!

On the Squelch.
I was able to close the squlech at 34 for WBFM Just FYI

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I did not see any type of squelch- am I missing something? It would be nice to quiet background and let it sit on the local Ham repeater or local tower.

frazpo

I did not see any type of squelch- am I missing something? It would be nice to quiet background and let it sit on the local Ham repeater or local tower.

Thats exactly what I am doing. Nice not having to fire up the whole SDR program to do that.
The save settings will save squelch also.

JimTailor

Also looks like the step size needs to be adjusted, at least in NBFM, or the entered frequency gets rounded. I set step size to 500 HZ

moonbounce

I don't know how it wouldn't be as sensitive as SDR Sharp, sensitivity is all on the dongle of choice.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed a difference depending on the software package-can only guess that different algorithms make the difference. I am no expert but as I understand it the dongle is just a analog to digital converter with the software doing all the rest of the work. I would have to guess the software would have some effect -all I know is with the same dongle I get different results with different software packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.