re: the dark knight drone dkd2 sdr scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve-kc7byp

I just got the following Ebay sale Rtl SDR Dark Knight Drone Dual Radio Rig | eBay in the snail mail today. The SDR radio has no software or cd with it. I have already sent the seller a message about it. In the mean time were can I find some software and drivers that will make this thing work. When I plugged the USB receiver sticks in Win7 came back with a message saying that drivers are needed.

Steve

Markb

Premium Subscriber
You have to use Zadig to install the proper drivers and use the SDR software of your choice. You can search the forums or Google for the specifics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

steve-kc7byp

I spent a good chunk of tonight searching for the sellers web page (the guy on Ebay that sold me this) INSTALLATION . The install instructions are hard for a novice computer user to follow. I had no problems following it but I have been messing with computers for a long time. My 1st computer was a Timex Sinclair 1000 with a wopping 16kbs of extra ram and a cassette recorder for program storage. The instructions for the SDRsharp at Quick Start Guide - rtl-sdr.com were much more straightforward and easy to understand. I am still having a bit of a problem with Zadig in getting the drivers installed. I am woundering if I need to uninstall all that other stuff from the other web page 1st

Markb

Premium Subscriber
I would try that and uninstall/delete the drivers for the radio via the device manager. Unplug the radio, then plug back in and try running Zadig again after letting Windows install the driver it wants to install.

steve-kc7byp

I got the Rtl SDR Dark Knight Drone Dual DKD2 SDR Radio Rig working now. But I still have 1 problem. I can't transmit on any of my radios in the shack (a Icom IC730, a Kenwood TM-733A, a Baofeng 2/70cm ht, and a few small FRS ht's) unless the HP Presaro C700 laptop (Os Win7 Home 32bit) is completely shut down. And I like working QSO's in the digital modes. The QRM, RF energy floating, even as low as a 1/2 to 1 watt pf power will make the laptop go nuts then the locks up and I have to reboot the laptop. I think the problem is in grounding. But I live in the 2nd story of and 2 story apt building. If anyone has some ideas I am all ears.

Voyager

I would agree grounding is likely the issue. What is your current ground path?

Voyager

That would explain a lot. And there may not be much you can do if you're in an apartment building. I suspect your antennas might now be very efficient either.

steve-kc7byp

The TM-733A is on an indoor J-pole antenna in my room. I hardly ever get on 2 meters and 70 cm. There isn't much activity on those bands here. I can try and ground the IC-730 to the neutral ground at the power socket in the wall. I can also get at the main cold water pipe coming into the apt and put a ground strap on the pipe. Also I am going to the Spokane hamfest on Sept 26th. I will see if there is some ferrite beads there and put them on all the laptop cables.

That would explain a lot. And there may not be much you can do if you're in an apartment building. I suspect your antennas might now be very efficient either.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I just got the following Ebay sale Rtl SDR Dark Knight Drone Dual Radio Rig
So two R820T sticks w/antennas, a 4 port hub plus a USB cable and a mini tripod? Seems somewhat pointless vs just buying two sticks. The tripod doesn't seem to serve any purpose - for VHF/UHF reception, you'd want to give the antennas a counterpoise, i.e. place them on a large-ish metal surface. The pictured placement - right next to the potentially noisy USB hub - really?

I can't transmit on any of my radios in the shack (a Icom IC730, a Kenwood TM-733A, a Baofeng 2/70cm ht, and a few small FRS ht's) unless the HP Presaro C700 laptop (Os Win7 Home 32bit) is completely shut down. And I like working QSO's in the digital modes. The QRM, RF energy floating, even as low as a 1/2 to 1 watt pf power will make the laptop go nuts then the locks up and I have to reboot the laptop.
An HP laptop, you say?

True story - had a gig working for a commercial airtime provider; "We'll provide you with a laptop." they said. And they did. An HP POS. Every time my 3 watt MTX8000 affiliated, that laptop locked up. Every time. Paid for a Dell Latitude out of my own pocket and never had a problem with it. Some laptops <cough>HP<cough> are just junk.

steve-kc7byp

It seems that the QRM from my transceivers only makes the laptop go nuts and lock up is when the sdr USB sticks are plugged in. The laptop is not effected by stray rf energy in the room at all if the sdr radio sticks aren't pluged in. I am going to try just 1 sdr USB stick plugged directly into the laptop USB port and see if the laptop still locks up when I tx on my 2m/70cm ht. If that works then I know were the problem is and were to put ferrite beads on the cables. I will keep u informed.

So two R820T sticks w/antennas, a 4 port hub plus a USB cable and a mini tripod? Seems somewhat pointless vs just buying two sticks. The tripod doesn't seem to serve any purpose - for VHF/UHF reception, you'd want to give the antennas a counterpoise, i.e. place them on a large-ish metal surface. The pictured placement - right next to the potentially noisy USB hub - really?

An HP laptop, you say?

True story - had a gig working for a commercial airtime provider; "We'll provide you with a laptop." they said. And they did. An HP POS. Every time my 3 watt MTX8000 affiliated, that laptop locked up. Every time. Paid for a Dell Latitude out of my own pocket and never had a problem with it. Some laptops <cough>HP<cough> are just junk.

steve-kc7byp

I definitely found the problem. The problem is that cheap 4 port USB hub that came with the 2 sdr radio sticks. With just 1 sdr radio stick plugged directly into a much better shielded 3g USB hub that I baught. I was able to complete a test QSO with a local ham. I tx on my ht and received on the sdr radio stick with no problems. What I need is the proj 25 codes for Benton county WA dispatch so I can setup the control freq and the voice freq.

steve-kc7byp

Slicerwizard I took apart that crummy 4 port USB hub that came with the 2 sdr radio sticks. In order to make the USB hub screw onto the mini tripod. The seller drilled a hole in the bottom of the 4 port USB hub. In drilling the hole the seller cracked 2 traces on the printed circuit board and drilled far enough into the printed circuit board to crack the bottom of the main IC chip on the other side of the printed circuit board. It is a small miracle that 2 of the 4 ports on that USB hub work period. If I wanted to do a setup like that. I would have glued a nut to the bottom side of the USB hub rather then drilling into the USB hub and damaging it.
In summing up this whole deal. I am going to have to buy a better shielded USB hub to plug in both sdr radio sticks. Both of the radio sticks work. But I would advise not to buy this setup from this seller Rtl SDR Dark Knight Drone Dual Radio Rig | eBay sellers Ebay user name, 1q2w3epel. Because this seller uses questionable building methods in jary rigging things in my opinion.

An HP laptop, you say?

slicerwizard

Good to hear that you sorted out your issue. Everything about this starsandstripes4sale.com entity seems like it should be setting off alarm bells for buyers - survivalist tinfoil hat territory, a "Jade Helm" SDR package, the stupid construction decisions you've described...

steve-kc7byp

Yes I got the new RTL USB radio dongles (that I traded for) working and receiving analog signals just fine (that junk dongles and USB hub that I got from Ebay I dumped in the garbage and got a refund). I hear all kinds of digital voice and P25 signals on the new dongles. But I will be darn if I can get DSDPlus to decode anything. I also solved the problem of sometimes SDRSharp and HDSDR crashing. This laptop is running a bit on the warm side. When I get my Oct SSDI check I am getting a laptop cooling pad with 2 medium size fans in it. That should make the laptop run cooler. I also made some changes in the Win7 power plain. The person that sold this laptop to the pawn shop had the power plain cranked up and making the cpu work harder then the design specifications for this laptop called for. Thats why prog's were crashing after the laptop warmed up. My only problem left is getting the digital decoding working. It is very frustrating.
I have gotten as far as the audio scope in DSDPlus seeing the audio from ether SDRSharp or HDSDR. But no matter what I try nothing decodes ether in words or voice. I can only assume that my cmd line setups are wrong somehow.

Good to hear that you sorted out your issue. Everything about this starsandstripes4sale.com entity seems like it should be setting off alarm bells for buyers - survivalist tinfoil hat territory, a "Jade Helm" SDR package, the stupid construction decisions you've described...

slicerwizard

My advice would be to use the FMP program that comes with DSD+. It doesn't use very many CPU cycles. Or if you continue to use SDR#, cut the spectrum display's FFT size way back and really slow down the update rate. That will take a big load off of the CPU.

As far as getting something out of DSD+, work with a known digital signal that DSD+ can handle. What's in your area? What does the RR database show? Any trunking systems using Phase 1 P25 voice? If so, just park on one of the voice channels. Any NXDN or DMR trunking systems? Start by parking on the control channel. Hell, even a P25 control channel should wake up DSD+. You'll need decent signal strength to get acceptable results.

steve-kc7byp

I have found instructions for the FMP program but not a place to download it.

My advice would be to use the FMP program that comes with DSD+. It doesn't use very many CPU cycles. Or if you continue to use SDR#, cut the spectrum display's FFT size way back and really slow down the update rate. That will take a big load off of the CPU.

As far as getting something out of DSD+, work with a known digital signal that DSD+ can handle. What's in your area? What does the RR database show? Any trunking systems using Phase 1 P25 voice? If so, just park on one of the voice channels. Any NXDN or DMR trunking systems? Start by parking on the control channel. Hell, even a P25 control channel should wake up DSD+. You'll need decent signal strength to get acceptable results.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
If you have the current release of DSDPlus, then you have FMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.