SDRSharp app process priority level always @ 24

Status
Not open for further replies.

elitedata

there needs to be an option for the user to set the application priority level.
every time the application is started, it starts with process priority of 24 (realtime) and i am forced to change it through task manager/process explorer to a priority level of 8 (normal).
i have tried the commands in a desktop shortcut relevant to my installation, for example:
---
cmd.exe /c start "SDRSharp.exe" /normal "C:\SDRS\SDRSharp.exe"
---
yet, starting the application with these changes still shows the process priority at 24.
i would like the program to start at process priority 8 (normal), why ?
if the program suddenly starts to pull massive amounts of CPU time due to a program fault, it leaves no free CPU time for anything else including critical processes for the operating system due to its process priority level being at 24, this has happened once already and almost leaves you no choice but to hard-reset the PC (due to 100% cpu use).
this is on a windows 7 ultimate x64 platform (fully updated to date).
i did not see another way besides IRC and an email to post this information to the airspy.com website since that is where i downloaded SDRSharp.
i completely understand the reason why the application starts with a priority level of 24 but there are some cases where it is not actually needed and works the same at a normal process level.

Last edited:

elitedata

i figured this out.
edit SDRSharp.exe.Config in notepad and change "256" to "32" to get process priority level 8 (normal)
<add key="processPriority" value="32" />

br0adband

Starts with High priority for me on both my laptops (Windows 7 Pro) and in the config file it was set to 256 so I altered it to 32 (guess it won't hurt), and I never even noticed till just this moment what the priority was, it's never been an issue for in the ~2 years I've been using SDR# so far.

Having said that, your solution does seem to "fix" it although I can't say it's broken by design anyway. I also use Prio to manage priorities and even processor affinity as well, been using it for years and it does come in handy at times:

Prio - Process Priority Saver. | O&K Print Watch

It doesn't save the priority for SDR#, oddly enough - some apps just don't respond to how Prio saves the info for starting priority and apparently SDR# is one of time - the config setting seems to override what Prio is capable of doing so I just altered the config file to "32" and will see if that has any issues in usage.

elitedata

the problem is that i am using other tools along with SDRsharp and they need equal process time being that those other tools operate at level 8 (normal).
having said that, SDRsharp by default should not be operating at level 24 (realtime) unless the user specifically needs it to operate at such a high priority level.

Status
Not open for further replies.