2 dongles, 1 antenna question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a dongle to antenna question,

I mainly use 2 dongles with Unitrunker. Sometimes I will use 1 dongle with Unitrunker, and the other with Sdsharp. Sometimes dsd+ with fmp.

Currently I have 2 dongles with mcx to type f and they are plugged into a splitter that goes into my antenna amplifier that has my antenna .

My question is this. Is it better to run both dongles into the splitter, into the amp/ant, or is it better to use an pigtail and bypass the splitter all together?

What is the better method for connecting 2 dongles to 1 amp/antenna?

2 of these into the splitter,

s-l500.jpg

Or this eliminating the splitter ?

MCXm2x-SMAm.jpg

Like I said, some times I use 1 dongle and sometimes I use both.

Thanks

Voyager

The splitter may have impedance matching the pigtail would not have, but as to whether this would result in any significant change in signal strength is doubtful.

br0adband

Theoretically every time you split a signal across 2 connections you're basically dropping the signal level to 50% along each pathway so, it could reduce the working signal level pretty dramatically in some instances depending on what a given dongle/stick happens to be attempting to pull in.

Personal recommendation: pigtails are cheap, get one for each dongle/stick and you'll never have to ask such a question again. ;)

B-One

One antenna attached to four dongles via an inexpensive, four way TV amplifier. As br0adband mentioned, there is loss when using common, non-amplified splitters and I have measured the loss. With a strong signal, the loss is inconsequential but with weak signals, one may turn a usable signal to an unusable one. The TV amplifier negates the loss and even strengthens the incoming signal a bit above the signal received by directly attaching the coax to the dongle.

Attachments

• IMG_20160301_171827.jpg
    IMG_20160301_171827.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 761

M105

Unless you have a very weak signal I find the effect of splitters on receivers is negligible. The receiver does not load the source very much.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
The splitter may have impedance matching the pigtail would not have, but as to whether this would result in any significant change in signal strength is doubtful.

Because the signal is being amplified, right?

Anything from starsandstripes4sale dot com is garbage. Use a proper splitter.

Not everything, the pics on their site are pretty decent :)

Personal recommendation: pigtails are cheap, get one for each dongle/stick and you'll never have to ask such a question again. ;)

I am currently using 2 mcx to f pigtails. They are fed off a splitter that's connected to the ant amp. The amp only has 1 output so for now, thats what I have .

I looking for any pros or cons on the 2 following set ups. The first is what I am using right now.

Ant---amp output---double male f barrel--- splitter---2 mcx to f pigtails---2 dongles---3.5db to each dongle
Ant---amp output---y pigtail--- 2 dongles (eliminating the splitter and barrel)

Either way its going to be a split signal, but whats better? Splitter or y pigtail?

Last edited:

bharvey2

I use roughly your arrangement with the splitter. I've never tried a "Y" pigtail. I would suspect that there would be a bit of isolation with the splitter should something go funky. I don't notice much of a degradation in signal quality although I'm smack in the middle of the system I monitor. In fact, I had to use a yagi and throttle down my RF gain to get a good decode on the system I'm monitoring.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
@dave3825
Check Ebay for "Filtronic" Products. The are 99% 2nd Hand. I have some 1 -> 3 Splitter at home and the work very good. I cant tell you anything about that only that the work.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
One antenna attached to four dongles via an inexpensive, four way TV amplifier. As br0adband mentioned, there is loss when using common, non-amplified splitters and I have measured the loss. With a strong signal, the loss is inconsequential but with weak signals, one may turn a usable signal to an unusable one. The TV amplifier negates the loss and even strengthens the incoming signal a bit above the signal received by directly attaching the coax to the dongle.

Hey, can you tell me where you got those MCX right angle - F Male cable jumpers? They look great!

Manny

Your_account

Banned
Look on Ebay! There is a lot of those connectors. The problem with an TV Amp is the work only on the TV Channel Freqs. not outside.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Look on Ebay! There is a lot of those connectors. The problem with an TV Amp is the work only on the TV Channel Freqs. not outside.

The amp for me in my case really boosts what I listen to. What do these specs mean?
fwd 5 to 1000 mhz
rev 5-42 mhz

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
do you have an link for an data sheet?

I have is an ARA1-15 Spec sheet http://www.antronix.com/files//DS-1019-AR_ARA.pdf

This one boosts the 800mhz trs I listen to and seems to do good on t band and higher vhf. I am in an apartment and use the rs 800mhz antenna and a home made http://www.qsl.net/n4yek/scanner/antenna.pdf with just 6 inch radials and that works good for an indoor antenna. I am in East Islip ny and was picking up NYPD citywide 2 on sdrsharp. I am indoors facing east, and Manhattan is 45 miles west of me.

I have 2 other amps but do not have the model numbers handy at the moment...

Your_account

Banned
Return
Specification
OMG you use an Cable Amp?!
You know the Box also amp Signals in the other direction? So if something generate an Signal the Box send it out via the Antenna. A very bad bad bad idea...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Kinda lost about the BOX? This amp has a antenna directly plugged into it and feeds an sdr dongle. So your saying the dongle could generate something and send it thru the air?

slicerwizard

OMG you use an Cable Amp?!
You know the Box also amp Signals in the other direction? So if something generate an Signal the Box send it out via the Antenna. A very bad bad bad idea...
If his receivers are generating any noise, they would be sending it out the antenna without the amp anyway. At least the amp only passes noise below 50 MHz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.