i5 4200 or i5 4300 for full Airspy use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KA2ZEY

I'm looking to get an older Surface Pro 2 to use with Airspy via the full USB 3.0 port. There are 2 versions: One with the i5-4200U which gets a CPU Passmark of 3265 and the other has an i5-4300U which has a score of 3752.

Would either of these work with Airspy at full 10 MB or just the 4300U?

I'm also going to be using this with DSD+ and Unitrunker as well as other decoding software.

SCPD

QRT
The CPU is not the issue. It is the USB controller chip inside your PC. I believe that NEC chipsets are mentioned the most with Airspy being able to use 10mhz without dropouts.

Airspy is run in a specific mode on the USB bus (I actually forgot what it is :) ) Most other SDRS are using a more common mode vs the one Airspy is using to pipe the data.

KA2ZEY

The CPU is not the issue. It is the USB controller chip inside your PC. I believe that NEC chipsets are mentioned the most with Airspy being able to use 10mhz without dropouts.

Airspy is run in a specific mode on the USB bus (I actually forgot what it is :) ) Most other SDRS are using a more common mode vs the one Airspy is using to pipe the data.

This is where I can never seem to get a solid answer. Seems like you're saying there's a problem with USB 3.0? So the SDRPlay would work with 3.0 and what level processor?

SCPD

QRT
The RSP would run on a i3 without issues @ 8mhz. You can also read a very detailed review of the Airspy and RSP here.

Review: Airspy vs. SDRplay RSP vs. HackRF - rtl-sdr.com

I believe the latest preview of SDR-Console not has Airspy DATA packing feature enabled. In theory you should be able to get 10mhz with next to zero dropped packets.

Hope this helps a little.
Mike

SCPD

QRT
Just an FYI. Unless your running multi VFO'S on the front end app (SDR-Console/CubicSDR). A signal at even 5mhz looks like a needle on the screen and is hard to click on perfectly.

You can MSG me at anytime if you have SDR questions about either unit.

Voyager

I'm looking to get an older Surface Pro 2 to use with Airspy via the full USB 3.0 port. There are 2 versions: One with the i5-4200U which gets a CPU Passmark of 3265 and the other has an i5-4300U which has a score of 3752.

Would either of these work with Airspy at full 10 MB or just the 4300U?

I'm also going to be using this with DSD+ and Unitrunker as well as other decoding software.

Simply put, I would get the 4300. Not because you need it, but because it's faster and can do more at the same time.

Airspy.com recommends a third gen i3 or better, but I've run 10 MHz on lesser PCs with no issues PLUS DSD+. I'm not going to say your experience would be the same, but the 4th gen i5 should be more than enough.

The NEC chipset is an issue to be aware of, however. Get that chipset if you can. Other chipsets may restrict the bandwidth too much even though all you need are USB2 specs.

KA2ZEY

Simply put, I would get the 4300. Not because you need it, but because it's faster and can do more at the same time.

Airspy.com recommends a third gen i3 or better, but I've run 10 MHz on lesser PCs with no issues PLUS DSD+. I'm not going to say your experience would be the same, but the 4th gen i5 should be more than enough.

The NEC chipset is an issue to be aware of, however. Get that chipset if you can. Other chipsets may restrict the bandwidth too much even though all you need are USB2 specs.

Thanks, Voyager. Most specs might not go that deep into the USB port. Is there a way to find out?

Status
Not open for further replies.