RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 8:59 AM
Default AFSK Paging Link

I think I have identified an AFSK Paging Link signal arround 406-407 mhz in my area.

AFSK Paging Link - Signal Identification Wiki

Does anyone knows how AFSK Paging Link system works ?

Any decoder ?
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2018, 10:32 PM

This shoudlve gained more attention as this type of signal is very popular in the Midwestern areas, especially Illinois and Indiana. AFSK paging link is none other than POCSAG but modulated with the bell 202 AFSK tones. You could try to decode with PDW but that wouldnt be easy because some type of splitter to the pulse train waveform (as POCSAG's actual waveform is a pulse train), so decoding can be possible. Sometimes decoding is an even bigger issue because some systems can contain multiple transmissions in one stream (hence rapidly changing mark and space frequencies during a single transmission). One exists in Chicago at the moment on 454.475 MHz for whatever purpose being done down there....
Old 03-13-2018, 9:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Does anyone knows how AFSK Paging Link system works ?
Simple cross band. The VHF(or 900MHz) transmitter is tied to a UHF receiver, it simply repeats what it hears from the ink receiver.
Interoperatablity is not a technology, it is an attitude!!!
Old 03-13-2018, 4:35 PM

And that right there is exactly what it is. Actually, the Chicago transmitter I discussed at 454.475 MHz uses multiple transmitters tied to the same receiver, which makes it repeat other mark and space tones (thus mixed modes im assuming). I even got three audio samples from my pro-106 scanner.