Data for configuring DSDPlus

Status
Not open for further replies.

melonbread

Very new to all of this, did lots of searching, but most examples I have come across already have the data I am seeking. I need help finding and adding data to DSDPlus config files. I have found various resources that seem to provide FCC data for frequencies in my area like digitalfrequencysearch.com, but I dont think any formats there will work for my setup. I need data for DSDPlus.frequencies, DSDPlus.networks, DSDPlus.radios, DSDPlus.groups, DSDPlus.sites. Is there some method to get this information efficiently for my area? My setup is using DSDPlus accepting rtl_tcp output from some rtlsdr.

cg

Premium Subscriber
There are no repositories for DSD+ data, you generate it and collect it yourself or through like minded users. It would tell others in your area that might have some of the data if you would post the system that you are trying to monitor.
Here is what I do when I find a new frequency that has DMR on it:
Use the FCC searches to get the system owner. Then use the FRN in the first license to try to identify all possible licenses for that company. I often will limit the frequency range to keep out huge number of returns. I then go through the info grouping frequencies and sites. I keep editing DSD+ files to try to get the files to fit what I am hearing and seeing.
There is lots of trial and error but that is what I enjoy.

chris

melonbread

RR database to DSD+

I believe the data I want seems to be here: Travis County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference in one form or another. I believe my main interest is this system: Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS). I understand its P25 trunking system, but I have the hardware setup for that. I essentially just need to know how to fill out the DSDPlus.frequencies file. I am not really sure what are the networkID or OTAchannelNumber. Some of these config files seem to be optional and some are required.

M105

For a P25 system all you really need is to set up a 2 dongle arrangement with FMP24 and DSD+ trunk tracking it. Tune the CC dongle to the control channel. The frequencies file can be empty and the radios, etc. will fill themselves as calls are received. If you want to lock out the garbage trucks or school buses you can watch the traffic and note the talk groups then go in and lock them out. On many systems you can also find talk group information here on RR.

The frequencies file is important for other systems like NXDN trunking where you will need the channel numbers matched to the frequency.

melonbread

For a P25 system all you really need is to set up a 2 dongle arrangement with FMP24 and DSD+ trunk tracking it. Tune the CC dongle to the control channel. The frequencies file can be empty and the radios, etc. will fill themselves as calls are received. If you want to lock out the garbage trucks or school buses you can watch the traffic and note the talk groups then go in and lock them out. On many systems you can also find talk group information here on RR.

The frequencies file is important for other systems like NXDN trunking where you will need the channel numbers matched to the frequency.

I am using rtl_tcp from a Pi hosting two USB dongles over ethernet. Since DSD+ now supports tcp sources I assume that rtl_tcp and DSD+ is all I need; instead of FMP24 and DSD+?

If I setup the CC.bat to launch DSD+ with a control channel info from Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS) Trunking System, Austin, Texas - Scanner Frequencies everything will sort of autopopulate?

br0adband

There's also OP25 if one needs to monitor P25 Phase I or Phase II systems exclusively (meaning no DMR/NXDN/etc additional formats and modes) and it can do everything with just one RTL-based stick. It is of course Linux-based (requires Ubuntu 14.04.05) but it can run in a virtual machine and run quite well nowadays while handling LSM systems better than modern scanners can and providing outstanding audio decoding as well.

slicerwizard

I believe the data I want seems to be here: Travis County, Texas (TX) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference in one form or another. I believe my main interest is this system: Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS). I understand its P25 trunking system, but I have the hardware setup for that. I essentially just need to know how to fill out the DSDPlus.frequencies file. I am not really sure what are the networkID or OTAchannelNumber. Some of these config files seem to be optional and some are required.
You don't have to put anything in the DSDPlus.frequencies file. Use the attached file to populate the other DSD+ data files, then just tune the CC side to a system control channel.

There's also OP25 if one needs to monitor P25 Phase I or Phase II systems exclusively (meaning no DMR/NXDN/etc additional formats and modes) and it can do everything with just one RTL-based stick. It is of course Linux-based (requires Ubuntu 14.04.05) but it can run in a virtual machine and run quite well nowadays while handling LSM systems better than modern scanners can and providing outstanding audio decoding as well.
I see seven DMR/NXDN systems and zero Phase II systems and you're pushing OP25...

Attachments

• GATTRS.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 157

melonbread

You don't have to put anything in the DSDPlus.frequencies file. Use the attached file to populate the other DSD+ data files, then just tune the CC side to a system control channel.

I see seven DMR/NXDN systems and zero Phase II systems and you're pushing OP25...

This looks exactly like what I need. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks

Did you need a premium account from RR to get the data mostly formatted this way? If I want to be able to do this myself for a different system, I'd like to have an understanding where to start.

M105

I am using rtl_tcp from a Pi hosting two USB dongles over ethernet. Since DSD+ now supports tcp sources I assume that rtl_tcp and DSD+ is all I need; instead of FMP24 and DSD+?

If I setup the CC.bat to launch DSD+ with a control channel info from Greater Austin/Travis Regional Radio System (GATRRS) Trunking System, Austin, Texas - Scanner Frequencies everything will sort of autopopulate?

I can't add much on the PI hookup as I am just using usb dongles on a Win 7 machine but yes, on P25 all you need to do is get the control channel decoding and DSD+ will populate the files. I see that Slicer replied to you with some more good information worth reading.

slicerwizard

Hm, nothing in the DSD+ docs about it working with rtl_tcp. Just tried it and nothing is showing up on the DSD+ audio display. And rtl_tcp is "an I/Q spectrum server", but FMP24 is an audio server...

melonbread

Hm, nothing in the DSD+ docs about it working with rtl_tcp. Just tried it and nothing is showing up on the DSD+ audio display. And rtl_tcp is "an I/Q spectrum server", but FMP24 is an audio server...

This may have been my problem all along. I can connect to a session of rtl_tcp and play with the radios just fine from SDR# but maybe I made the wrong assumption that DSD+ could handle the same type of data?

I just tried your earlier suggestion and get similar results. My Pi is running linux; is there an FMP24 (or similar) release that I can use to serve up the signal from a Pi that can be use on a remote Windows/Linux box for P25 decoding?

Last edited:

slicerwizard

This may have been my problem all along. I can connect to a session of rtl_tcp and play with the radios just fine from SDR# but maybe I made the wrong assumption that DSD+ could handle the same type of data?
SDR# takes I/Q data and produces a spectrum display and demodulated audio (same as FMP24 does). DSD+ takes demodulated audio and decodes the protocols contained therein.

I just tried your earlier suggestion and get similar results. My Pi is running linux; is there an FMP24 (or similar) release that I can use to serve up the signal from a Pi that can be use on a remote Windows/Linux box for P25 decoding?
rtl_fm produces an audio stream and if it's piped to sox, sox can act as an audio server. On the DSD+ box, you'd need something that can take that stream and feed it to DSD+, probably through a virtual audio cable.

slicerwizard

Did you need a premium account from RR to get the data mostly formatted this way? If I want to be able to do this myself for a different system, I'd like to have an understanding where to start.
I just pull it off of the system's webpage. I used to do the same thing with Motorola Type I and Type II systems.

melonbread

SDR# takes I/Q data and produces a spectrum display and demodulated audio (same as FMP24 does). DSD+ takes demodulated audio and decodes the protocols contained therein.

So it sounds like ideally I would want something that can do all three, take IQ data (from tcp), demodulate the audio and decode the protocols. I guess something I should look into is the (rather old) DSDPlus plugin for SDR# I guess this would allow me to control the radios, receive the IQ data, demodulate and decode.

I could potentially pipe the rtl_fm demodulated audio from the Pi but then I should still need some way to tune the radios remotely, I think.

melonbread

With a general curiosity, I decided to pipe the audio output of SDR# into DSD+ and then tune it to my interested P25 control channel. DSD+ seemed to recognize the data.

I think the reality is that what I want isnt really supported by anything. Since both dongles are remotely hosted, in order for DSD+ to work, I believe, DSD+ would have to have a means of remotely controlling the VC tuning of the SDR dedicated to voice based the CC output of the other SDR.

jets1961

Actually DMR and a few others have been added to OP25;

"Since earlier this year, Max, KA1RBI has added in Yaesu Fusion, DSTAR and DMR modes to OP25, in addition to the existing P25 Phase 1, Phase 2 and LSM/CQPSK Rx support. OP25 can transmit these modes as well as receive them. "

Source MattSR

Meanwhile I'm still trying to get my head around two dongle config for DSD+ and FMP

jets1961

SlicerWizard,

I have two dongle setup that I know all the parameters for, I am using Unitrunker on this system now, my system is 4032.

So where do I configure all the parameter like gain, offset and start control channel (CC)?

I looked at you sample file in this thread and the network file format seems to be:

line format: protocol, networkID, "network name"[, TIIIareaLength]

In my case I am using dongle direct so do I edit this file or another file instead? Also what is :TIIIareaLength

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.