RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2017, 1:02 PM

I do not understand what I am messing up. Other users with my dongle and operating system can get Unitrunker to log with my same settings, but I cannot and continue to get the "Cannot open!" error message.

I am able to get sdr stick to function with SDRsharp and SDRsharp/freq mgr combo software without problems.

Can anybody please help me.
Sponsored links
Old 02-25-2017, 5:55 AM
Seņor Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Hello CPAJ;

The program has a bug in how it enumerates USB devices looking for compatible Realteks. It works for most hardware out there. The bug is most obvious when using an external USB hub. The program can't see what's behind the hub to open the device.

Some PC manufacturers build a single USB hub onto the motherboard instead of separate, directly addressable USB ports. I do not know if this is the actual issue here but is I think a likely guess.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Default Reply

Unitrunker - Sorry, I have been away and distracted for a week or two but I just saw your reply. If this is the case it would make the most sense.

My final question is if I bought a higher end "2nd gen" dongle/stick, would I experience the same issues on this same PC or would it be worth trying?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 03-11-2017, 3:56 PM
Seņor Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAJ View Post
My final question is if I bought a higher end "2nd gen" dongle/stick, would I experience the same issues on this same PC or would it be worth trying.
I don't think swapping RTL sticks would make a difference here.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 PM

I would use 1 rtl-sdr per hub. A hub can have any number of ports. Osmocom and rtl-sdr redditt tells us never to connect the rtl-sdr dongles to external USB hubs. The reason is beyond me. It seems to work better using just USB extension data cables directly from the laptop or desktop's USB ports.I will go so far as to say Unitrunker is right for not seeing the additional dongle if yours is on an external USB Hub.

These are software defined radios. They are not memory sticks, cameras, mp3 players, etc. They use a lot of system resources and must have separate hubs.
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2017, 1:28 AM

Guess I should stop running four dongles on one hub...
Old 03-12-2017, 3:01 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unitrunker View Post
Hello CPAJ;

The program has a bug in how it enumerates USB devices looking for compatible Realteks. It works for most hardware out there. The bug is most obvious when using an external USB hub. The program can't see what's behind the hub to open the device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me1900 View Post
I would use 1 rtl-sdr per hub. A hub can have any number of ports. Osmocom and rtl-sdr redditt tells us never to connect the rtl-sdr dongles to external USB hubs. The reason is beyond me. It seems to work better using just USB extension data cables directly from the laptop or desktop's USB ports.I will go so far as to say Unitrunker is right for not seeing the additional dongle if yours is on an external USB Hub.

These are software defined radios. They are not memory sticks, cameras, mp3 players, etc. They use a lot of system resources and must have separate hubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
Guess I should stop running four dongles on one hub...
lol

What is your setup? Pc, laptop, hub? How many usb ports does your machine have? How many are in use?

I have been running 2 Realtek dongles with Unitrunker for a long time, on an ext hub. The ext hub I use is a 5 port made in china no name hub, but it's powered from an external power source, not the pc's usb power. In addition to the 2 dongles running, I also have my bcd436 connected to Proscan (logging 24/7) , and a TU-S9 USB to Serial converter to program or log with my br330t because my pc lacks a Serial port. So that's 4 items running off the hub. At times, while 4 ports are in use, I also move pictures from my digital Nikon via a usb sd card reader...

If your trying a hub, is it a powered hub with a external power source? I was never able to get 2 dongles to run on a non powered or self powered (pc powered) hub. It did the exact same thing starting for a half second and could not open. You may not have enough power going to your usb.
Old 03-13-2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me1900 View Post

In my scenario, I AM connecting the sdr directly to the laptop's port without an external hub. What unitrunker is saying is, with some machines, the laptop is built with an internal hub instead of a separate port for each of the laptop's usb inputs. So, in my case, my laptop seems to be one of the machines built this way - thus, sdr in unitrunker will not work attached to my usb input, external hub or not.
Old 03-13-2017, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3825 View Post
lol

What is your setup? Pc, laptop, hub? How many usb ports does your machine have? How many are in use?

I have been running 2 Realtek dongles with Unitrunker for a long time, on an ext hub. The ext hub I use is a 5 port made in china no name hub, but it's powered from an external power source, not the pc's usb power. In addition to the 2 dongles running, I also have my bcd436 connected to Proscan (logging 24/7) , and a TU-S9 USB to Serial converter to program or log with my br330t because my pc lacks a Serial port. So that's 4 items running off the hub. At times, while 4 ports are in use, I also move pictures from my digital Nikon via a usb sd card reader...

If your trying a hub, is it a powered hub with a external power source? I was never able to get 2 dongles to run on a non powered or self powered (pc powered) hub. It did the exact same thing starting for a half second and could not open. You may not have enough power going to your usb.
So is it that my computer is one that unitrunker program does not play nicely with due to it's internal hub (as opposed to multiple internal ports)? I get the same error message when it connects to any of the three laptop ports. The stick will work with sharp, and other usb attachments work like a mouse or inline radio with unitrunker via usb, just not my stick and unitrunker. Reference the entire thread if you think you can offer any assistance, but I believe we have come to the conclusion that it is a lost cause with my pc.
Old 03-13-2017, 5:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

You don't by chance have an external usb hub laying around?
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave3825 View Post
You don't by chance have an external usb hub laying around?
Unfortunately I do not. Thanks for the input but, in time, I will have to get a dedicated computer for sdr & unitrunker configurations. In the mean time, unitrunker works fine solo with the pro651 and the sdr works fine solo with sharp.
Old 07-13-2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAJ View Post
Unfortunately I do not. Thanks for the input but, in time, I will have to get a dedicated computer for sdr & unitrunker configurations. In the mean time, unitrunker works fine solo with the pro651 and the sdr works fine solo with sharp.
Did you end up finding a solution? I have the same device purchased off of ebay, and while it works just fine in SDR#, it immediately stops with the same error you were experiencing. Interestingly enough, I have another similar SDR device (RTL-SDR, the metal one) and it starts fine in Unitracker. Both show up as RTL2832U devices, and I know both aren't in use before trying to start them, yet the one fails to start.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinfl View Post
Did you end up finding a solution? I have the same device purchased off of ebay, and while it works just fine in SDR#, it immediately stops with the same error you were experiencing. Interestingly enough, I have another similar SDR device (RTL-SDR, the metal one) and it starts fine in Unitracker. Both show up as RTL2832U devices, and I know both aren't in use before trying to start them, yet the one fails to start.
So my buddy has another one of those cheap RTL2832U+R820T SDRs purchased off of ebay that looked identical to mine on the outside and it works fine in Unitrunker, but one thing I noticed was that the LED light on mine was white while his was blue. Curious, we opened up both and found that they were different inside (see attachments). I don't know if mine is crippled in some way, or just confusing Unitrunker in some way. Like I said, it works fine in SDR#, but Unitrunker won't open the device.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2017, 8:09 PM

1: Stop wasting money on those cheap MCX-equipped dongles.

2: Since you have it apart already, tell us what tuner chip it has.