Need a little help with Virtual Audio Cable please

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to run Unitrunker, DSD+, Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). I got the 2 dongles all calibrated and Unitrunker shows a 100% health signal and the site I want to monitor lights up and tracks OK. I cannot figure out VAC as follows:
Do I need one virtual cable or two virtual cables to make everything work to get DSD+ the signal(s) it needs?
Does DSD+ take in both voice and control?
I don't understand "Device 1", Device 2" , input, output? Are the dongles the "devices"?
Can someone give me an explanation of how I should line everything up?

Thanks, Steve

satboy8888

I am attempting to run Unitrunker, DSD+, Virtual Audio Cable (VAC). I got the 2 dongles all calibrated and Unitrunker shows a 100% health signal and the site I want to monitor lights up and tracks OK. I cannot figure out VAC as follows:
Do I need one virtual cable or two virtual cables to make everything work to get DSD+ the signal(s) it needs?
Does DSD+ take in both voice and control?
I don't understand "Device 1", Device 2" , input, output? Are the dongles the "devices"?
Can someone give me an explanation of how I should line everything up?

Thanks, Steve
Try taking a look at this.

http://www.scannerbox.us/TrunkingRecorder/Trunking Recorder setup diagram.png

Vco's are in unitrunker, virtual audio cables have inputs and corresponding outputs. You can substitute trunking recorder for any other audio software. Radio feed, audacity, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

nevets

Premium Subscriber
Need help

I see from the diagram that I need 8 virtual cables total to make this work. Am I correct?
When I went to the VCOs to select the output/input I don't see a selection for VAC, all I see is "unspecified" and "speakers". How do I get VAC to appear in the VCO selections?

satboy8888

I see from the diagram that I need 8 virtual cables total to make this work. Am I correct?
When I went to the VCOs to select the output/input I don't see a selection for VAC, all I see is "unspecified" and "speakers". How do I get VAC to appear in the VCO selections?
For two receivers running two voice receivers; one digital and one analog each, yes, eight.

They maybe generically named "Speaker X" but you can rename it to a shorter name in Windows to help see the different names in unitrunker.

Be aware that computer restarts may change the order of inputs and outputs in dsdplus, always double check the numbers match where you want audio flowing.

satboy8888

Also with the number of outputs you're apparently looking to monitor, you may wish to look at trunking recorder to be able to play content back in filter-able linear non-realtime

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I am only monitoring 1 output, to my speakers so I can hear the audio. All I need to know is how to configure the VAC between UNITRUNKER and DSD+. I am using 2 dongles, one for voice and one for signal. It appears I misunderstood your diagram.

satboy8888

I am only monitoring 1 output, to my speakers so I can hear the audio. All I need to know is how to configure the VAC between UNITRUNKER and DSD+. I am using 2 dongles, one for voice and one for signal. It appears I misunderstood your diagram.
You would only need the top half of the image for a single voice receiver. And only the top vco of the top receiver for a single voice channel.

Now, for straight analog audio to speakers, just set the audio output to your actual speaker output. Make the digital audio output unspecified.

For digital audio, send the digital audio output (without the filter checked off) to your virtual audio cable input. Make the analog audio output unspecified.

Dsd needs to listen to that output and in turn output that to your actual speakers.

You can make a batch file to set the input and output numbers upon running the batch file.

If you're not understanding any of the steps, do reply where you're stuck and I'll keep helping you step forward. It's a journey, not an event ;) Keep trying

satboy8888

Once you get the basic audio figured out, you maybe interested to know that you can monitor multiple frequencies within the dongle frequency range simultaneously.

The idea being that you need one signal vco but you can add more voice vco's to the same dongle.

If all of the frequencies fall within the dongles frequency width (eg 3mhz), you can monitor both signal and voice on the same dongle.

If the frequencies don't fall within the maximum frequency distance apart, you can still do signal and voice on one receiver and one, two or more voice on second receiver. It'll automatically switch to the second receiver when the frequency it's sending to the voice vco is too far away from control channel vs dongle frequency width.

Just be sure to select analog or digital modes for each voice vco.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I have two receivers, one for voice and one for signal. I set the signal receiver analog and digital output to "unspecified" . I have set the voice receiver analog output to "speakers" and digital output to "VAC line 1". When I open DSDplus.exe DSD immediately opens and then closes itself. I am attempting to monitor a P25 system, Motorola TYPE II Smartnet.

satboy8888

I have two receivers, one for voice and one for signal. I set the signal receiver analog and digital output to "unspecified" . I have set the voice receiver analog output to "speakers" and digital output to "VAC line 1". When I open DSDplus.exe DSD immediately opens and then closes itself. I am attempting to monitor a P25 system, Motorola TYPE II Smartnet.
Ok, the signal receiver does not need any audio output selected, unspecified for both outputs.

It sounds like you have the correct outputs for the voice receiver.

Check the dsdplus.txt file how to make the batch file.

Essentially, make a text file with the file extension .bat instead of .txt

Edit with a text editor though

Something along the lines of
Dsdplus.exe -iX -oY

Substitute X for the input number and Y for the output number.

Open just dsdplus to get those numbers to put into batch file.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I created the batch file and now DSD+ opens and stays open but apparently no signal getting to it as the scope line is flat. I think something is still not correct in the VAC set up

satboy8888

Ok, we're getting somewhere!

Which dongles are you using? With txco or not? Are you getting a decent decode of control channel? Do you see talk groups appearing?

Ensure that the there is a line item that the frequency turns green on when the talk group goes active. The default colors are red for control, black or yellow for not in use and green for active voice listening.

If they are not turning green, how far away from the control frequency is the talk frequency they didn't turn green? What did the status field say on the voice window? (Eg Out of range)

Ensure that the digital mode you wish to decode is checked off in the voice window. Eg p25.

Ensure the volume levels are turned in for both the input and output virtual cables in Windows. Control panel > audio > volume mixer > ?

On newer versions of Windows, you can also listen in on different audio inputs/outputs in real time. Something along the lines of 'also listen to this audio on device [dropdown]'. If you do that temporarily to the virtual audio cable, you'll be able to hear the digital signal, only when a talk group is active of what dsdplus is hearing. No audio = no good.

Keep trying!

nevets

Premium Subscriber
Dongles are RTL 2832U, metal case, with TXCO. Control channel is 100% health constantly. Talk groups appearing rapidly. Line turns GREEN when talk group is active. P25 box is checked. Volumes are set at mid point.

Here is what is says on DSD screen:

audio input device #1 = Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)

audio output device #1 = Speakers (Realtek)
audio output device #2 = Speakers (Virtual Audio Cable)

audio input device #1 (Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)) initialized
audio output device #1 (Speakers (Realtek) initialized

I appreciate your assistance, I am confident that I am making progress.

satboy8888

Dongles are RTL 2832U, metal case, with TXCO. Control channel is 100% health constantly. Talk groups appearing rapidly. Line turns GREEN when talk group is active. P25 box is checked. Volumes are set at mid point.

And you still don't see the yellow signal line jumping around in dsdplus?

What about temporarily sending the digital audio from unitrunker direct to speakers? Do you hear the digital pulsing when the talk groups light up green?

Double check the audio levels in Windows? In newer versions of Windows, you'll see green audio signal bars next to the level sliders, what about on the virtual audio cable slider?

satboy8888

I'm also curious about the input and output names being different? Did you just leave a line or two out of what you typed? Have you restarted since you installed the virtual audio cable?

nevets

Premium Subscriber
I typed it exactly as written on the DSD screen. I noted this: when I open the Windows Volume Mixer it shows 4 volume sliders: Speakers, System Sounds, DSD+ Source Audio, Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable but nothing that says Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable. I also noted that if I move the Speakers slider up and down I hear the Windows chime sound and the line on the DSD scope reacts with a wave motion.

satboy8888

I typed it exactly as written on the DSD screen. I noted this: when I open the Windows Volume Mixer it shows 4 volume sliders: Speakers, System Sounds, DSD+ Source Audio, Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable but nothing that says Line 1 Virtual Audio Cable. I also noted that if I move the Speakers slider up and down I hear the Windows chime sound and the line on the DSD scope reacts with a wave motion.
What about the record side of the virtual input? There's two sides to the story! Check in your audio settings where the microphone would be listed if it was a laptop or had a webcam with a mic attached. ?

Did you try temporarily routing from unitrunker to speakers for the digital output row to see if you hear the digital pulsing?

satboy8888

Those sliders are most likely your speaker output sliders. Check in the top left of that window below the window title where it might say "speakers", click that and see what other *output* options are listed. Also try right clicking on audio icon in task bar for other input and output settings.

nevets

Premium Subscriber
Yes there is a microphone, it says "not plugged in"

Temp routing of digital output to speakers - no sound.

satboy8888

Yes there is a microphone, it says "not plugged in"

Temp routing of digital output to speakers - no sound.
Then I would conclude that the issue resides within unitrunker at this point. Therefore, set aside any issues with the virtual audio cable and dsdplus until you can hear digital pulses from speakers.

If you don't mind, could you post your signal and voice windows, together or separately? (Private message accepted as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.