SDR Play with SDR#

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimTailor

I've been using the SDR Play for a couple of weeks now with SDRUno. I also want to try the SDR Play with
SDR#. I see an add-in for SDR# on the SDR Play website But I haven't been able to find any documentation that explains what to do with that add-in which I assume will let me run the SDR Play in SDR#. Can someone point me in the direction of the documentation please.

KE5MC

I've been using the SDR Play for a couple of weeks now with SDRUno. I also want to try the SDR Play with
SDR#. I see an add-in for SDR# on the SDR Play website But I haven't been able to find any documentation that explains what to do with that add-in which I assume will let me run the SDR Play in SDR#. Can someone point me in the direction of the documentation please.

If the file is extio.dll place in the same location you start sdr# from. Google extio for more general information. The dll allows programs like sdr# that is not native to the hardware to work with other hardware, but usually with limited functionality.

Hoping I have been able to point you in the correct direction.

Mike

P.S. I have both an airspy and sdrplay and use the native program for each. I think sdruno is better for the sdrplay and sdr# for the airspy. Interesting complexity and simplicity between the two combinations.

Last edited:

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Recent versions of SDR# eliminated ExtIO support and cripples any Front End that is not on their White List. The SDRPlay Front End for SDR# is not on the White List. Some earlier versions of SDR# will work.

73 Eric

Macintrasher

SDR# and SDRplay

The makers of SDR# have switched from using Microsoft .NET 3.5 to .NET 4.6, meaning that the ExtIO that SDRplay provides no longer works with SDR#. The people at SDRplay are working to fix this, but haven't given a time table on when everything will be working.

As such, I took it upon myself to make a folder that has everything you need to get an older version (v.1491) of SDR# up and running. I included basic instructions that should get you up and running.

Download this folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ugxqav0epfo641j/AAAhRI7rkAAX3gclW8shbX2-a?dl=0

Use this until everything gets sorted out.

JimTailor

Thanks. I saw this earlier today at the office. I've downloaded and will give it a try in the next couple of days.

JimTailor

Works like a charm! Thanks so much. Looking forward to trying both programs with the SDR Play.

Macintrasher

Very glad I could help. :D I live for these kinds of moments, providing a solution when no one else can, playing the proverbial internet/digital hero! Well, I like to help, and that's satisfying enough most of the time. :)

Also, the instructions may seem a bit rude, but that was because I had some tequila before I put everything together and it may sound a little rude. I love to help others with problems, but this could have all been avoided if the author of SDR# had just given a heads-up about the change. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, I don't care enough to check, but everything could've been in place as soon as the change was made, and it annoys me when people like me have to fix something that could've been very easily prepared for.

JimTailor

I don't follow the political battles between all these hardware and software vendors. I do realize the complexities of trying to keep everyone happy. I think SDR Uno will be my daily driver for the RSP but I do like the band plan display in SDR# especially while I'm still learning the ropes for a device that has so many capabilities. I appreciate people like you who are willing to help!

Macintrasher

I was just lucky I had an older version that worked on another computer. I have a PC I specifically use for radio related things that I'm constantly tinkering with, and it had a working version on it till recently. By good fortune I also had a SDR# install on my main PC that I used my RSP on a couple months back that I had forgotten about and rediscovered about a week ago. I thought about just sitting back and waiting for the SDRPlay people to fix things, but I decided to be nice and compile a little solution until everything got fixed. Made me feel better, at least.

While SDR# isn't my go-to program for the RSP, I like to use it when monitoring certain bands. One thing I love about it is how it'll not only display the frequency when you mouse over the spectrum/waterfall (which SDRuno also does), but how it'll snap to a frequency depending on how you have the frequency step set. Sometimes I'll be on the CB band (shocking, I know) and when I see someone transmitting, I can just mouse over and see what frequency they're at, and when I have it set to 5 KHz steps, it'll snap to the frequency and leave no question what frequency it's on. I got a CB that shows the frequency of each channel and I can just tune to that channel and, boom, new contact. I've done the same thing on 2 meters and found local contacts talking on simplex. They're always kinda surprised I found them until I tell them how I did it, then they develop an interest in SDRs.

JimTailor

My original install of this package was on a Win7 computer. I've just tried the setup on a Win10 machine and the software is not seeing the SDRPlay. Has this been tried with Win10? I am going to do a complete reinstall but thought I'd ask first in the hope that someone has either had a similar problam or had success.

Macintrasher

I haven't tried it with Win10 (don't like Win10, personally) so your mileage will vary. Probably should've mentioned that on hindsight.... One tip I can give is to make sure your SDRPlay is plugged into a USB 2.0 port. I've tried using this on 2 PCs with various USB 3.0/3.1 ports, and even a USB 3.0 hub, and it refuses to work on any of them. Also, I think the SDRPlay people say that you should use a USB cable that's 6 feet or less. Not sure why, but whatever. Another thing to try in order to keep any stray rf interference from travelling thru the USB cable is to get one that has a ferrite choke built in (or just buy one dirt cheap) and/or coil the cable. As added interference protection I put my RSP1 in a 4 11/16" electrical wiring box. Just a few bucks at any hardware store and it cut out a ton of near electrical interference.

JimTailor

Thanks. Haven't had a chance to try reinstalling yet. When I do, I'll post here. I don't have 3.0 ports on this computer. I do have ferrite chokes on the cable and I definitely will put the RSP in a metal box because I am seeing a ton of interference across most all bands. Now that the weather is micer I also plan to try one or two other options for an antenna. Thanks again.

JimTailor

Tried again doing a Win10 install without success. SDR# doesn't recognize the SDR Play. The SDR Play isn't listed in the drop down box. Any ideas?

brettbolt

Tried again doing a Win10 install without success. SDR# doesn't recognize the SDR Play. The SDR Play isn't listed in the drop down box. Any ideas?
Its easy to forget -- did you install the MIR SDR API drivers?

Also, IIRC you have to add a line to one of SDR#'s config files. Or maybe you only have to do that for SDR# extensions? I forgot.

(And, of course, you need the SDRPlay ExtIO DLL in the SDR# 1491 directory).

Brett
N6BY

brettbolt

Now I remember -- you have to add a line to 'frontends.xml' like the one below:

<add key="SDRplay RSP" value="SDRSharp.SDRplay.SDRplayIO,SDRSharp.SDRplay"/>

Hope that helps.

Brett
N6BY

djmarko

SDR# with RSP2

Does anybody know if this setup will work with RSP2. The SDRPlay shows up in the dropdown list but when go to the config it appears that the config is for an RSP1.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
OK, got it to work but don't see a way to choose between antenna A & B in the config.

Hover the mouse pointer over the antenna selection box and roll the mouse wheel up or down until the correct antenna shows in the window. I use SDR# version 1361 with my SDRPlay RSP2. The "drop down" selection for the antenna inputs doesn't react as it normally should.

djmarko

That's a problem right there. I don't see an antenna selection box when I bring up the config. Is there a separate config item for the RSP1? I'm thinking that's what I'm seeing. One other question..... In the source dropdown box should there be separate listings for the RSP1 & 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.