listening to standard freqs on dsd+

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdxny

Premium Subscriber
I have no issues listening to conventional analog freqs on sdr# (through my speakers) , or dmr or nxdn or p25 on dsd+ (output from sdr# through a virtual cable to dsd+).
But normal analog signals are silent on dsd+.. only dmr or nxdn or p25 play.
Is that normal? For now, I have to switch output of sdr# from speakers to dsd+ depending on the nature of the signals. Am I doing something wrong to cause this? Thanks

br0adband

DSD+ is a digital speech decoder, literally being the acronym DSD (but that's another such decoder that predates DSD+ and doesn't offer nearly what DSD+ does with continuing development). It won't "touch" analog audio content used for conventional FM narrowband transmissions and in some respects that's one reason which makes it difficult if you happen to need to monitor analog content at the same time you're using DSD+.

This happens most of the time if you have a system that is mixed with analog and digital content at the same time: you'll hear the digital content getting decoded (if it's a supported format and not encrypted) but analog transmissions will never be heard unless you have another setup for that specifically.

I'd say your setup is working well if you can hear the digital content being decoded and the way you described - having to switch manually to hear the analog transmissions - is pretty much the required action to make it happen.

rdxny

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, very clear response, and answers the question:)

slicerwizard

Newer versions of DSD+ let you hear analog signals. There are four modes:

Raw source audio monitoring mode set to 4 (always monitor)
Raw source audio monitoring mode set to 3 (monitor if no voice)
Raw source audio monitoring mode set to 2 (monitor if no sync)
Raw source audio monitoring mode set to 1 (monitor if no sync and signal present)

I use mode 1. It only unmutes on signals that DSD+ doesn't understand, which are typically analog voice. If it's something else (like SCADA), it unmutes, but I generally want to hear that as well so I can figure out what it is.

rdxny

Premium Subscriber
Are those versions publicly available or just paid subscription?

Status
Not open for further replies.