nitrag

Premium Subscriber
RTL-SDR v.3
Unitrunker
DSD+
Windows 7, i7 2.7ghz, 8GB ram

Here's a 2min video of my setup.
https://youtu.be/_pq4sH-tZVM

I actually bought a Wilson 301111 yagi, and I'm getting no better reception than the RTL-SDR stock retractable antenna. How is that possible?

Is this reception?
Decoding?

Is it because I'm using 2 VCO's when I really should have two separate RTL-SDR units?

Trying not to spend a ton of money to ultimately learn my location isn't good enough. Is the simulcast system essentially a repeater? Should I try driving as close as possible to the site to see what reception is like? I live in flat Charleston, SC - 12 miles from the site and located inside on third floor of house.

Thanks!

nitrag

Premium Subscriber
@slicerwizard

The only thing I could find was starting DSD+ with the
Code:
-mp
command. Is that what you were referring to. It didn't make a difference.

Does having 2 VCO's and one RTL-SDR dongle degrade the signal since it's listening on two frequencies. I don't wan to sink anymore money into this project if I'm not going to be able to figure this out.

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
I typically see this with poor signal or signal that cannot be decoded properly. Have you tried to adjust your frequency correction ppm?

M105

How fast is the computer? Anything else running that is putting a load on it? Try minimizing all the wonderful displays and closing any other unnecessary programs see if it improves.

The reason for asking is that I once tried running DSD+ on an old laptop and got pretty much the same results you are getting.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber

Does having 2 VCO's and one RTL-SDR dongle degrade the signal since it's listening on two frequencies. I don't wan to sink anymore money into this project if I'm not going to be able to figure this out.

YES, it very well could, unless all system frequencies fall within the available bandwidth of the dongle (Unitrunker doesn't utilize 100% of a dongle's bandwidth, it's a bit less than 2.4 MHz). I would strongly recommend buying a second dongle and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.