the upcoming Airspy HF+

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1879

Many of us are excited, I think, over this new SDR that is supposed to reach market soon.

My research shows little mention of it over the last months, and some have voiced dissatisfaction over omission of 6 meters and below to the upper limit to HF. I saw another comment about the VHF high coverage of the unit almost, but not including, a satellite band of interest to the writer.

Perhaps some interest in the project, and some desired changes could be discussed here to prod the Airspy folks along.......

Does anyone have any current news on the alluring new radio?

p1879

Dominic1967

Long Time Listener, First Time Caller
Premium Subscriber
Likewise

I have no info to add, just wanted to echo the OP's sentiments. I currently use an Afedri SDR-Net and an RSP1 and cannot wait to get more specifics on the Airspy HF+. It sounded like something I'll want to add to my shack. I've had one of the 20 dollar dongles and surprisingly didn't give up the hobby after that. Had a Softrock Ensemble 2 that I sold when I got the Afedri. Used to own an ICOM PCR1000 and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it became a bit dated.

D

DaveNF2G

Sounds like Airspy has reached the limits of their abilities. Not surprising after they put so much effort into excluding more capable competitor units from their software.

brettbolt

Sounds like Airspy has reached the limits of their abilities. Not surprising after they put so much effort into excluding more capable competitor units from their software.
I purchased an AirSpy and SDRplay around the same time several months ago. I use the SDRPlay almost exclusively. My AirSpy is flaky and sometimes requires a power reset.

As much as I am not thrilled with AirSpy, I don't blame them for not creating driver modules for their main competitor. In fact, I think they would be foolish to continue SDRSharp support for SDRPlay.

Brett
N6BY

p1879

I found a commentary by a Japanese Amateur who speculated that the AirSpy HF+ will sell for about 100$ more than the price mentioned elsewhere. I personally dislike SDR#, however I wish other s/w had plug-ins like those available to SDR# users.

I prefer SDR Console, and what piqued my interest in the new offering was Simon's (creator of SDR Console) comment about the HF+. He seems to think it is a big step up in performance for an inexpensive SDR. Since he is light-years and several Galaxies ahead of me on the subject, that gets my attention.

mancow

Database Admin
The plugins are what makes SDR# the go to for me. Vasily's fast scanner plugin is amazing. Nothing out there come close.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
The Airspy R1/R2 and Mini have made such a difference in my enjoyment of VHF/UHF+ digital signal acquisition. I can't wait to try out the HF+. I tend to completely disregard anything bad that people may have to say about Youssef. The products he has put out are outstanding, and in my opinion nobody has been able to touch the Airspys for VHF/UHF+ performance even at 5x the price.

Looks like I'll be getting back into the <30 mhz receiving game. Time to plan for some antennas.

Mike

mancow

Database Admin
The Airspy R1/R2 and Mini have made such a difference in my enjoyment of VHF/UHF+ digital signal acquisition. I can't wait to try out the HF+. I tend to completely disregard anything bad that people may have to say about Youssef. The products he has put out are outstanding, and in my opinion nobody has been able to touch the Airspys for VHF/UHF+ performance even at 5x the price.

Looks like I'll be getting back into the <30 mhz receiving game. Time to plan for some antennas.

Mike

I completely agree.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned earlier, my interest in the Airspy HF+ is based on Simon Brown's continued referencing the item in some of his posts/emails. The Airspy HF+ just might be the reason I sell my RSP1 when the time comes.

--
Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
As mentioned earlier, my interest in the Airspy HF+ is based on Simon Brown's continued referencing the item in some of his posts/emails. The Airspy HF+ just might be the reason I sell my RSP1 when the time comes.

--
Mike

I'm not knocking the Airspy HF+ at all, especially since I don't have one yet. I will definitely be getting one. But you might end up keeping your RSP+ just because you aren't going to get teh same amount of bandwidth available in the Airspy HF+ that you do on an RSP. At least that's my understanding. I think it's limited to looking at someting like 500-768 khz at a time. So if you need to monitor multiple bands at once, you'll probably keep your RSP as well. Plus, the Airspy HF isn't going to be doing UHF+ -- another reason to keep your existing hardware.

I can't wait to get my hands on the Airspy HF

mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I'm not knocking the Airspy HF+ at all, especially since I don't have one yet. I will definitely be getting one.
<snip>
I can't wait to get my hands on the Airspy HF

mike

Mike, I have the RSP1 & RSP2. Even if I sell the RSP1, I'm well covered with the other. :)

--
Mike

invergordon

My way of thinking is that the + indicates something else over and above HF and for me that's just a bonus. As Youseff et al state, this is game changer receiver for HF and for me it certainly will be going by the specs.

As an HF aeronautical monitor, 660kHz bandwidth is way too much, I only need ~200kHz for any aero band so decimation down to that will be perfect.

Don't forget also the possibilities of accessing this receiver via the internet by multiple clients. To be able to listen and tune the receiver outside my home network is another key feature and to be able to do it all via my Raspberry Pi3 using SpyServer is really going to open up possibilities for me, what about you?

p1879

I thought the RTL review of the HF+ pretty interesting,
They sold me on my latest delusional radio quest. Ordering the new playtoy would be a sure-fire joy.

I have tried to contact Airspy US several times by email, but they never answer. Maybe I am missing something obvious, but it seems a peculiar way to run a company.

Meanwhile, time to look through the Loop Antenna designs. Like our friend from New Zealand, I am looking for some HF Aero DX.

p

I

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I have tried to contact Airspy US several times by email, but they never answer. Maybe I am missing something obvious, but it seems a peculiar way to run a company.

I

I believe all sales, at least initially will be through https://www.itead.cc/. There is a AirSpy group on Groups.io that created an "announcement" subgroup that will let you know when sales/pre-orders begin.

--
Mike

p1879

Thanks Mike! I did sign up for the notification sub-group a couple of weeks ago....and found that the main Airspy discussion group is pretty interesting too.

I am using SDRPlay right now, but I am looking forward to trying something new for HF. As much as I want a new RX to play with, my real problem is defeating all the noise inside and outside the home. I bought an older quad-core computer just for sdr, but I see my humble old Acer has a much lower noise-floor. Discussion in the Airspy group has interested me in some of the micro-computers coming along right now.

I can see why so many stay with the stalwart rigs of yesteryear, flip a switch and you are there! SDR is a real learning experience, though.
p1879

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I am using SDRPlay right now, but I am looking forward to trying something new for HF. As much as I want a new RX to play with, my real problem is defeating all the noise inside and outside the home. I bought an older quad-core computer just for sdr, but I see my humble old Acer has a much lower noise-floor. Discussion in the Airspy group has interested me in some of the micro-computers coming along right now.

I can see why so many stay with the stalwart rigs of yesteryear, flip a switch and you are there! SDR is a real learning experience, though.
p1879

I am a big fan of the SDRplays, too. I really like being able to open them up to a 10mHz bandwidth just to see where there is activity in the HF spectrum.

Noise I understand, too. :( My current laptop, desktop and monitors are quiet, but American Electric Power and their transmission lines that bisect the neighborhood can really give me grief. They have been less than responsive.

As for the rigs of yesteryear, I prefer the knobs, dials and keypads of my radios. SDRs just have the ability to add to the hobby.

--
Mike

Airspy-US

I

We have not received any emails from you or you never received our replies. What address are you using? Our typical reply is 10 minutes to maybe 16 hours on a busy day to a request late the night before. Or you can ask via the Airspy email list. We always answer emails we receive.

Status
Not open for further replies.