RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 11:07 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudary View Post
Using ./audio.py with and without -2, my audio is slow.
nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c1 -f S16_LE -r 8000
nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c2 -f S16_LE -r 4000
xx xxxx
By using nc | aplay command, the voices are clear.
Running RPI3/Stretch, cpu runs pretty constant at 40%
That's interesting, it's supposed to be 8000khz sample rate.
Sponsored links
Old 04-06-2018, 12:38 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbod View Post
If you use the boatbod fork, you can use the sockaudio player and it has the capability to multiplex both DMR timeslots into the L & R channels of a single audio device. Since multi_rx.py operates a little differently than rx.py you have to manually run the audio player using the ./audio.py front end.
I have not had a chance to try DMR yet or even play with it Yes I use the boatbod fork

when I run rx.py I use -U and the audio comes out my speakers.

Sounds like -U will not work on multi_rx.py? Is this something you are going to integrate in the future? That sure makes it easy for us non linux guys.

BTW thanks for the new simple installer script. That was not around last time I setup OP25. I was able to get OP25 to install/run on my ubuntu laptop decoding a trunked p2 system in about 10 minutes!
Old 04-06-2018, 4:47 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
I have not had a chance to try DMR yet or even play with it Yes I use the boatbod fork

when I run rx.py I use -U and the audio comes out my speakers.

Sounds like -U will not work on multi_rx.py? Is this something you are going to integrate in the future? That sure makes it easy for us non linux guys.

BTW thanks for the new simple installer script. That was not around last time I setup OP25. I was able to get OP25 to install/run on my ubuntu laptop decoding a trunked p2 system in about 10 minutes!
You are correct that "-U" doesn't work with multi_rx.py, and I can't really integrate it because that app works completely differently than rx.py and I just haven't spent any time with it. (No regular DMR activity in my area, so no need) Sorry. Maybe you can encourage Max to do something in his mainline.
Old 04-06-2018, 8:33 PM

Default op25 DMR decode

Quote:
That's interesting, it's supposed to be 8000khz sample rate.
When using nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c1 -f S16_LE -r 8000, -c1 -r 8000 is correct for my rpi3

nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c2 -f S16_LE -r 4000, -c2 -r 4000 will provide the correct audio for me, otherwise the audio is distorted and slow motion, best I can describe it.
Old 04-07-2018, 6:28 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudary View Post
When using nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c1 -f S16_LE -r 8000, -c1 -r 8000 is correct for my rpi3

nc -kluvw 1 127.0.0.1 23456 | aplay -c2 -f S16_LE -r 4000, -c2 -r 4000 will provide the correct audio for me, otherwise the audio is distorted and slow motion, best I can describe it.
So with 1 channel you're playing @ 8000 whereas with 2 channels it's @ 4000. That's weird indeed. The sample rate shouldn't need to change so something it definitely amiss somewhere.
Sponsored links
Old 04-12-2018, 12:35 PM

Error gr_gnuplot.py.140: RuntimeWarning: divide by zero encountered in log10 s += '%f/t%f/n' % (self.freqs(i), 20 * np.log10(self.avg_pwr[i]))
hope I did that right, typed.
Mudary

edit: Argument not separated from preceding token by whitespace.

Syntax Warning in cmake code at column (various)

update
deleted op25, rebooted rpi, installed op25, now works. Still trying to get slot 2 decoding. I live in a small town, not much traffic.

Last edited by Mudary; 04-12-2018 at 1:01 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 04-19-2018, 7:47 AM

@boatbod, I was listening to our system the other day and noticed something interesting on the radio. They had a stolen vehicle out of the city and they made an announcement preempted by an audio tone, then the radios changed the zone name to announce. Is there some sort of p25 packet that allow this? Idk if this is specific to our Harris system or not but thought I would ask if there is some sort of announcement flag in the packets or something that triggers that.
Old 04-19-2018, 6:42 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshadowxm81 View Post
@boatbod, I was listening to our system the other day and noticed something interesting on the radio. They had a stolen vehicle out of the city and they made an announcement preempted by an audio tone, then the radios changed the zone name to announce. Is there some sort of p25 packet that allow this? Idk if this is specific to our Harris system or not but thought I would ask if there is some sort of announcement flag in the packets or something that triggers that.
Anything is possible in manufacturer-specific extensions to P25, but I can't say I'm familiar with that functionality. Normally a single audio tone is just for the purposes of getting people's attention (tone-based paging usually has multiple tones).

Were the subscriber radios in "scan" mode and simply picked up the follow-on transmission that came in on a new TGID?
Old 04-19-2018, 6:44 PM

they were tune to that channel. the zone name changed to announce then back. I think it was an announcement group
Old 04-20-2018, 3:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
they were tune to that channel. the zone name changed to announce then back. I think it was an announcement group
I'm pretty sure Announcement Group is a manufacturer extension to P25. I know Motorola has it. Not sure about Harris.

Would be interesting to see a captured log of the TSBK or MBT message that invoked this functionality. Perhaps it can be reverse engineered if we can catch one to inspect.
Old 04-20-2018, 3:23 PM

I'll keep my eyes peeled for one
Old 04-21-2018, 8:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Announcement Group is a manufacturer extension to P25. I know Motorola has it. Not sure about Harris.

Would be interesting to see a captured log of the TSBK or MBT message that invoked this functionality. Perhaps it can be reverse engineered if we can catch one to inspect.
Quote:
I'll keep my eyes peeled for one
Upon further research I do see "Announcement Group Address" included in the regular P25 Group Affiliation Response message (send by FNE to subscriber when a radio attempts to affiliate with a TGID). On that basis there is really no special signaling as the the subscriber radio simply needs to be on the lookout for Group Voice Grants with the declared Announcement Group Address (tgid) the same as any regular group call.

ETA: I've added decode of TSBK op=0x28 (Group Affiliation Response) to log level 11 (-v 11). It's probably easiest to run for a while and then grep the logs for the keyword "tsbk28". aga=Annoucement Group Address, ga=Group Address (tgid), ta=Target Address (subscriber radio address)

e.g.
tsbk28 grp_aff_resp: mfrid: 0x0, gav: 0, aga: 0, ga: 11520, ta: 2600710
tsbk28 grp_aff_resp: mfrid: 0x0, gav: 0, aga: 0, ga: 11520, ta: 2600710
tsbk28 grp_aff_resp: mfrid: 0x0, gav: 0, aga: 0, ga: 11544, ta: 2600418
tsbk28 grp_aff_resp: mfrid: 0x0, gav: 0, aga: 0, ga: 11558, ta: 2600434

If announcement groups are in us, I would expect to see a non-zero aga value.

Last edited by boatbod; 04-21-2018 at 9:16 AM..
Old 04-21-2018, 1:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So my next question is what should op25 "do" if it sees a group call on a declared announcement group? Best I can think is we can automatically elevate the priority of the agid above that of the specified tgid, then if a call arrives on the agid it will preempt and tune to that channel instead.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:15 AM

I think that's a good idea, and maybe display something as announcement on the web interface.
Old 05-22-2018, 3:17 PM

Any thoughts? The hex changes every iteration, I believe my raspberry pi might be faulty. (Raspberry Pi Model 3b+ running raspbian)

Boatbod's github, latest setup, I don't get any other errors, etc.

pi@raspberrypi:~/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps $ ./rx.py
linux; GNU C++ version 6.2.0 20161010; Boost_106100; UHD_003.009.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
*** Error in `python': malloc(): corrupted unsorted chunks 2: 0x01a486f8 ***
Aborted

Doesn't matter what commands I put in, etc, still the same outcome.
Old 05-22-2018, 3:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by telvana View Post
Any thoughts? The hex changes every iteration, I believe my raspberry pi might be faulty. (Raspberry Pi Model 3b+ running raspbian)

Boatbod's github, latest setup, I don't get any other errors, etc.

pi@raspberrypi:~/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps $ ./rx.py
linux; GNU C++ version 6.2.0 20161010; Boost_106100; UHD_003.009.005-0-unknown

gr-osmosdr 0.1.4 (0.1.4) gnuradio 3.7.10
built-in source types: file osmosdr fcd rtl rtl_tcp uhd miri hackrf bladerf rfspace airspy soapy redpitaya
*** Error in `python': malloc(): corrupted unsorted chunks 2: 0x01a486f8 ***
Aborted

Doesn't matter what commands I put in, etc, still the same outcome.
Can you run the "osmocom_fft" utility? That will open the rtl driver and should show you a waterfall display once you set the sample rate etc. If that works, I'd bet the op25 software needs rebuilding, otherwise you might have a dongle problem.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have installed the latest OP25 (Boatbod fork) on my Raspberry Pi 3b according to the instructions at "John's Blog - Update on P25 Scanner -- New version and new installation instructions" Update on P25 scanner — new version, and new installation instructions | John's Geekblog. I am using a NooElec NESDR SMArt dongle and a mag mount 800 MHz antenna in the window of my 2nd story "shack".

The system recognizes the control frequency for the Portland ME P25 Phase 1 system which appears to be in the initial stages of testing. Currently RadioReference shows only PD Dispatch, Electrical and School bus talkgroups (though my BCD536HP shows others as well). In OP25's Web GUI, I can see updating info on talkgroups and the interval since previous transmission but hear NO AUDIO..

Using my BCD536HP, I have seen a fair amount of radio traffic during school bus transit times and by road crews and sanitation workers during a first shift timeframe. I have little to no interest in these but want to be ready as police and fire convert over to this system.

I admit to being confused after reading the OP25 README and these forums on the set of command line switches I need to add to my rx.py script file.

I know I have the correct control frequency (although it differs from what is in RadioReference which I will submit a correction for once I have my configuration working and producing audio). I have tuned the GAIN and played with --fine-tune to get on frequency. The NooElec dongle seems to be OK and not need a PPM adjustment. I think the constellation plot looks OK? I have configured the audio output for the Pi to use the Analog (3.5 jack) to which I have speakers attached (I can get audio to these if I aplay a wav file so I know they are working).

I have swapped in and out the set of commented out switches at the bottom of my portland.sh file.

The attached screenshot was taken this morning.

Here is the portland.sh file:
#!/bin/bash
/home/pi/scanner/rx.py \
--args 'rtl' \
--gains 'lna:32' \
--fine-tune 0 \
-D cqpsk \
-f 853.7875e6 \
-l http:127.0.0.1:8080 \
-P constellation \
-S 1000000 \
-v 1 \
-U \
2>stderr.2
# -O audio_out \
# -o 1.25e3 \
# -q -0 \
# -T /home/pi/scanner/trunk.tsv \
# -w \

Any suggestions on what I need to change to get the audio working?

Also, minor point while troubleshooting the audio issue - use of the -l http:127.0.0.1:8080 \ line results in no ability to key commands into the terminal window (e.g. frequency adjustments or q to quit) even when i have reclicked in the terminal window to give it focus.

Thanks for any and all help!

Glenn
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 3:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you are using "-l http:127.0.0.1:8080" then all your commands are done via the web interface, not from the terminal. As far as the audio, you could have aplay using the correct speakers but python using a different audio output. You can use pavucontrol to confirm that everything is routing to the same output. I presume your tsbk count is increasing steadily?
Old 05-26-2018, 3:22 PM

Im sorry guys, but I tried reading through all 20 pages of this
thread and I'm not finding a direct answer to my question.
Here it is:
I just finished installing Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday
(16.04 because 18.04 just kept erring on just about
everything I went to do)
I have the Realtek RTL-SDR.com usb stick RTL2832U
(DVB-T +DAB+FM+SDR)
I've jumped through all of the hoops with loading Alsa audio, etc
Now I can actually get Linrad running, but very poorly and I have to
run it through terminal.

I am NOT a linux guy. I knew some Unix waaaaayyyy back when,
and I also used Xenix for a short time, but I was a devout DOS guy.
I know enough Linux to be dangerous, I guess.

QUESTION: Is there a better or easier program that I can install
and run from the Desktop?
P25 would be nice to have since I think I still have access to
State Police for a little bit longer. Mainly will be used on 10, 11, 2 meter
and 63cm bands
Old 05-26-2018, 5:27 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by apu View Post
If you are using "-l http:127.0.0.1:8080" then all your commands are done via the web interface, not from the terminal. As far as the audio, you could have aplay using the correct speakers but python using a different audio output. You can use pavucontrol to confirm that everything is routing to the same output. I presume your tsbk count is increasing steadily?

Thanks for the quick response. I had not understood that pulseaudio was required - I have installed it and used Pi’s “Sound & Video” “PulseAudio Volume Control” to set volume and the speaker in Pi’s GUI to ensure Analog output is selected.

The activity I was hearing on my BCD536HP was from first-shift workers. I may not be able to confirm that the problem is solved until they return to work after Memorial Day.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk