Decoding Software Guides for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltascan

Premium Subscriber
I have SDRplay and downloaded Fldigi and MultiPSK to try some decoding. I also installed vitrual cable to "Hear" signals. I may not have set up the software correctly and I can not find any decent instructions or videos that show me how to "start" either one and see some results. Can anyone point me to instructions that are more complete than the ones on Youtube? Thanks

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi
I gave it up the Software dont work.
What did you try to decode? I will try out GNU Radio.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Complete and utter nonsense. Both packages are well respected and capable decoders. If you are trying to tune HF digital signals, you need to understand that, apart from hams, there are many digital sigs that are encrypted or otherwise encoded so you can't understand them. Not all by any means, but there's a lot that we can't read - yet-

Apart from anyone who can answer here, the best places to find support for these packages would be their respective Yahoo groups...

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/win-fldigi/info

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/multipsk/info

HTH and GL...Mike

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
yahoo sucks!
I try to decode some known signals dont work.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
yahoo sucks!
I try to decode some known signals dont work.

Keep in mind that tuning these signals can be a bit finicky. If you're trying to monitor something like RTTY and others, you have to have the mark/space shift correct. Other modes such as PSK (PSK31, PSK63 etc) have to have the proper mode selected in your receiving software. Also your frequency setting has to be pretty much on the money. If you're off just a bit, it won't decode.

Unfortunately, it's just not a plug-and-play kind of thing.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This is getting pretty OT here, so I'll make this brief - we have a listing in our wiki of easy to decode HF stations (apart from hams, of course) here...

Testing Your New Setup - The RadioReference Wiki

This list does assume that you are using software that can handle these modes, like PC-ALE, MultiPSK and others. And there's LOTS of information on digital stations in the UDXF group at groups.io...and I know for a fact there are a few reporters from central Europe.

As mentioned before, beyond the ham community, there are many digital sigs that are encrypted or encoded - in fact, the Enigma group is devoted to studying these modes. Hams are basically always decodeable - it's against the law, at least in the States, for hams to encrypt their signals so no one else can hear or see them. We have LOTS of digital modes available to us - but that's a topic for a different forum...

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.