What is the best practice on fine tuning SSB on websdr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepatriot9_9

Hello Radio Gurus and fans:

I wasn't sure which section to post this question to in the shortwave or the sdr section. Since websdr is sdr, I hope I'm in the right place. Or the Mods can move it in the proper place.

Anyway, this is my favorite shortwave site because it covers all the bands

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

Sometimes I like to hear the amateur radio bands. I know when to use LSB and USB.

When the voice sounds like a duck or very low, I use the plus and minus buttons. Are these acting like a BFO? Anyway, sometimes it fixes the audio to sound more natural and sometimes it doesn't. I always use the single '+' button or the single '-' button to fine tune it.

When these buttons don't correct the audio are there any suggestions I can try to make the voice sound natural? Thanks

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Try and identify the step size used when you +/-. Good chance it needs to be smaller for better "fine tuning".

Mike

thepatriot9_9

hello

In my first post I mentioned I use the single +/-button to fine tune it.

The single +/- buttons are 10hz steps. Sometimes it fixees the audio and sometimes not. I think when it doesn't fix the audio it must be other factors that is beyond my control. I believe this is all we can do on a limited interface of the websdr.

I'd appreciate the reply. Thanks 🙂

majoco

Stirrer
Most commercial SSB, HF aero for instance, are on exact frequencies, say 8867.000 kHz for example, so it's likely that any digitally tuned receiver will land spot on frequency. However hams are not required to be on a certain frequency and so can wander around a bit, especially when in a group. Often they will chase one of their number that is slight off-frequency with their main tuning control rather than their RIT (receiver incremental tuning - move the receiver frequency slightly but not the transmitter) and so next it's his turn to natter he will be on a slightly different frequency. Old timers who used AM can't be re-trained!

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
You may need more than one press of the button -also you may be tuning the 'wrong' way- tuning SSB does take practice the ear can 'detect' a voice signal even when it is over a kHz off. Also I have at times found hams using the 'wrong' sideband usually in an attempt to be 'more private'.

thepatriot9_9

I don't press the +/- just one time and hope for the best.

I press those buttons multiple times in both directions until the duck audio is reduced enough for me to understand. I also switch from LSB to USB and vice versa if either one can improve the audio.

Like I said before the audio gets fix with those buttons just fine but in rare occasions I can't improve the audio because of other factors like propagation, the time of day and etc the ham operator is broadcasting,

Status
Not open for further replies.