RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Computer Aided Monitoring and Programming > Software Defined Radio

Software Defined Radio - A forum for general discussion of software defined radio (SDR) receiver equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2017, 9:15 AM

Smile All This for $25!

I'm new here, and new to SDR, and I'm having the time of my life. Way back in the late 1960s, the USAF had me sitting at a console, staring at VHF and UHF frequencies on a spectrum display, for reasons I can't really discuss still. My guess is that console cost half a million dollars or so.

Skip forward 50 years, and I'm sitting at my desk, once again looking at the VHF/UHF spectrum on a screen and checking out signals once again. It's like old home week, but the whole thing cost just $25 in 2017. All the capabilities and none of the costs.

Right now, I'm listening to a courier service in the Minneapolis St. Paul area at 452.238 MHz. Entertaining.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm blown away by this hardware and software. From half a million dollars down to $25. We are incredibly fortunate, I think!
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2017, 12:51 PM

There's more, besides. The spectrum display back then was small, and lacked anything like a waterfall display that let you take a peek at the content being delivered. Further, there was no mouse you could click to jump to an active signal. Knobs and dials. You couldn't change bands or frequencies quickly, either.

In many ways, the capabilities of today's SDR dongles are pretty amazing. Add to that all the folks working on decoding add-ons for software like SDR#, and the access to signals is superior to that older technology, regardless of the cost.
Old 08-09-2017, 5:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

If you buy two trunking is fun.What I like about SDR is the versatility of it. You can use it as a cheap scanner, listen to amateur radio, use it to pick up ADS-B to track aircraft, download live satellite pictures from NOAA weather satellites, and various other uses that if it has a radio wave.
Old 08-10-2017, 8:13 AM

I'm going to investigate all of that stuff, for sure, as I have time.
Old 08-11-2017, 5:51 PM

Yes, it's amazing what you can do now for not a lot of coin. And a big thanks to the software authors out there. I spent $25 bucks on Fast Lane DSD+ and it's lights out the best money spent in this hobby.

Tags
nostalgia, sdr, spectrum, uhf, vhf