RSP2 Pro Software help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I received the RSP2 Pro as a gift. I have never used SDRuno for anything. I watched all the how-to videos and even went through the manual. I am using a good solid weather service signal of 162.400. Everything loads and sets up right following the video instructions. Once I hit the "play" button all I get is static galore. The external antenna I am using is on the money as I have tested it with portable radio receivers with no reception problems. If anyone has a website or a dummies guide to SDRuno they can point me to, I would really appreciate it.

Manny

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a screen grab showing how you have it set up?

--
Mike

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Not sure if this is related or not, but one thing I have really noticed with the majority of software writers for SDR's is that anything above the HF range is treated as an afterthought and is not overly user friendly. The exception to this is SDR# which with its plethora of plug-ins is an outstanding platform for VHF and higher spectrum monitoring. As a result I have stuck with Airspy SDR's. Of course you can't beat the free gift price you got for the RSP2 Pro. :) I had considered one again the software issue deterred me. We are of course painfully aware that SDR# doesn't work with the RSP units.

This commentary is not intended as a knock on any product or any software, or an endorsement of any other, but as far as I'm concerned it is the truth and I have remarked on it (to seemingly overall deaf ears) in other pertinent forums. I had two original SDRPlay devices and while they worked well enough at VHF and higher the software available to me came up short in those frequency ranges. They both were sold.

SDR-Console, again most conducive to HF monitoring, works with the RSP2 as far as I know. Have you tried that to confirm that your unit is working properly?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is related or not, but one thing I have really noticed with the majority of software writers for SDR's is that anything above the HF range is treated as an afterthought and is not overly user friendly. The exception to this is SDR# which with its plethora of plug-ins is an outstanding platform for VHF and higher spectrum monitoring. As a result I have stuck with Airspy SDR's. Of course you can't beat the free gift price you got for the RSP2 Pro. :) I had considered one again the software issue deterred me. We are of course painfully aware that SDR# doesn't work with the RSP units.

This commentary is not intended as a knock on any product or any software, or an endorsement of any other, but as far as I'm concerned it is the truth and I have remarked on it (to seemingly overall deaf ears) in other pertinent forums. I had two original SDRPlay devices and while they worked well enough at VHF and higher the software available to me came up short in those frequency ranges. They both were sold.

SDR-Console, again most conducive to HF monitoring, works with the RSP2 as far as I know. Have you tried that to confirm that your unit is working properly?

I will definitely agree with you on this software not being very user friendly above the HF range. All the references I have seen are for HF which I don't really care to monitor. Nothing against HF, it's just not my cup of tea. I read the manual twice, following all directions and suggestions. The external antenna, as I stated before, is working great. I hooked up my 436HP to it and got excellent reception. The unit itself powers up well and the PC connections are perfect without any issues. This has to be somewhere in the software settings. I have tried multiple combinations to see if anything works. Nothing but static noise.

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Your attempting to tune 162.4kHz. 162.400.000 is where you want to be for mHz. Additionally, the tuning indicator is off the scale of the Main SP which would also prevent reception.

I would recommend you grab a copy of the SDRuno user manual found at: http://www.sdrplay.com/docs/SDRplay_SDRuno_User_Manual.pdf and start with that.

--
Mike

Mike, thanks for pointing out that oversight. I corrected it and adjusted the main SP. Let's see what happens.

Manny

mbott

Premium Subscriber
My local NWS. Sometime, I can see 6 to 7 broadcasts from across the state and WV. Note that clicking on the S-meter while in FM gives you a tuning indicator. I'll post another pic here shortly.

Attachments

• Weather.jpg
    Weather.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
With the FM tuning aid activated.

Attachments

• Weather2.jpg
    Weather2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 332

mbott

Premium Subscriber
BTW, there are other software packages that work well with the SDRplays. SDR Console V2.3 and the preview of V3 are very good. HDSDR also. HDSDR is what I happened to use when I first started with the SDRplay RSP1.

--
Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I can't thank you enough for your help on this, as well as everybody else who helped out. I got it to work finally, although I cannot remember exactly what it was I changed. Either way, I have a hard copy of the manual. Not a very good beginners manual I can say that much. I learned more from you guys here on this post than the manual. Now all I have to figure out is how to get rid of this low rumble sound that I am hearing every time I tune to a VHF/UHF narrowband signal

Manny

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it working for you. Come across any further issues, just give a shout.

--
Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Mike, the only issues so far are the humming sounds I receive when monitoring FMN signals in the VHF/UHF areas. Signal comes in clear but with a bad hum or low rumble in the back of the audio. AM aircraft, weather channels, and WFM broadcast are all fine. Is there something I'm not doing?

Manny

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Manny, that is truly outside my wheelhouse as I'm 99 44/100ths a HF listener. What frequency you monitoring ... maybe I can find something similar near me and help you figure it out. Again, post a pic when you are on the frequency so I can see the settings. :)

--
Mike

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Mike, this is just one of many public safety frequencies I am trying to monitor. The signal is loud n clear but with a hum sound in the background.
I have adjusted the RF gain up and down slowly and still I get the hum.

Manny

Last edited:

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Manny, I think you beat me. I can't replicate what you are trying to listen to here. I don't see anything in the settings that jumps out as an issue. The DEEM fuzzies things up on weak signals but that doesn't appear to be the issue here. I'm at a loss. There is a SDRuno channel on FaceBook if you do that.

There is also the SDRplay forum at SDRplay Community Forum - Index page that may be able to help.

Sorry I couldn't do more.

--
Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
N1QSB, there's a decent possibility that a ground loop is causing your hum issues...the other Mike (heh)

slicerwizard

Mike, this is just one of many public safety frequencies I am trying to monitor. The signal is loud n clear but with a hum sound in the background.
I have adjusted the RF gain up and down slowly and still I get the hum.
That would be the PL/DPL data. Use a cutoff filter or tiny speakers...

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
That would be the PL/DPL data. Use a cutoff filter or tiny speakers...

I've noticed that the CTCSS tone of 203.5 is especially bad in this regard for some reason. That being said I don't notice this issue a great deal using my SDR's but it's definitely a possibility. I was thinking about the ground loop issue and I guess it could be a possibility but the audio is passing directly from the SDR to the software so maybe not.

Speaking of CTCSS/PL and DCS/DPL tones, some of this software could go a long way towards more conducive VHF and above monitoring if it simply afforded the capability of decoding and displaying them. Without some effort, secondary audio streams, etc., SDR#'s plugin's for tone decoding is the only simple option. The only outboard software I've seen for decoding these tones, which is KGTone, is very finicky from my experience with it. How hard can it be to incorporate this capability? I don't know as I'm not a software writer, but in my case I love to DX these signals and having the tone decoded goes a long way towards ID'ing unknowns.

Glad things are working out for you Manny.

WPXS472

I also have an RSP2, though not the pro version. I have used sdr Console and HDSDR with it, but everytime I try SDRplay, I get nothing. The display looks good, just no signals. Like the OP, I am using the local weather service signal to test with. I know this has to be an operator headspace problem, I just need to look at the manual more. My biggest gripe about the RSP2 is the limited selection of software that it works with and the user interface of the software. I know it was written to get the most features for the most people, but it just doesn't suit me. I am considering trying to use a series of downconverters made specifically for the bans of interest and just using the SDR as an IF processor/demodulator. SRDs open up a whole new world of listening possibilities, limited only by the software written for them. I plan on using an SDR for the bulk of my future listening.

Status
Not open for further replies.