HackRF One as Broadband Rcvr

Status
Not open for further replies.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Wondering if anyone else is using the HackRF One as a broadband receiver. Here, using one for SW and VHF/UHF listening, works pretty well down to AM BCB but an antenna tuner helps on shortwave and AM BCB. Seems a bit less sensitive in the 470 MHz area compared to the RTL-SDR.com SDR dongle v2. Like the fact that the HackRF One goes up to 6 Gigs though. Also useful as a low cost spectrum analyzer, compatible with SDR# and SDR-Console for viewing signals.

WB2QGZ

What interface are you using with the HackRF? I bought one in Dayton 2 years ago but hit the wall with gnu radio and setting up a laptop with Linux... I'd like to get it cookin'

br0adband

I have to admit that when I saw the topic/thread title I laughed because obviously the HackRF is a broadband aka wideband radio receiver by design. :)

I still wouldn't mind having one but so far in my experience the RTL-based sticks have done all the things that I've required in terms of monitoring. Shortwave/HF reception is irrelevant to me on most every level and if I do want to monitor something there's plenty of WebSDR sites out there to work with. Since I recently moved to Springfield MO I'm thinking about trying to see how Shortwave/HF reception works here in this different neck of the woods aka central US and without nearly the kind of background interference I had in the Las Vegas metropolitan area (surrounded by tons of RFI and being in a "bowl" aka the Las Vegas valley with mountains on all sides blocking incoming radio transmissions).

Here in Springfield it's relatively flat so I might just find some use for a device like the HackRF after all - I had attempted to get the HackRF Blue which was the lower cost slightly lower spec version for a long time but they were always out of stock whenever I had the funds to buy one, just my luck with timing.

But yes, the HackRF is a damned fine broadband/wideband radio receiver and there's more support for it nowadays than when it first came out (meaning the GNURadio thing that was simply overly complex for most of us really taking the leap into SDR hardware).

Maybe someday I'll be able to get a proper HackRF used, who knows, I'm always on the lookout for such hardware.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. Am using SDR# for the HackRF One, works well. Can also use SDR-Console. Both programs are free downloads. These will allow you to use the HackRF One as a receiver along with spectral displays and waterfalls of that segment of the band.

Tried my hand with GNU radio in Ubuntu environment but it's too complicated for me. Am losing out on a lot of possibilities by not using Linux though. You'll get more use out of it as far as experimentation using Linux.

Used HackRF Ones appear on Ebay occasionally, got mine that way, saved some bucks, but had to update the firmware, something to keep in mind when buying used.

Check out the tutorial videos by Mike Ossmann if you are new to HackRF: https://greatscottgadgets.com/sdr/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.