Best SDR’s

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the best SDR’s out there. I know I currently have a NooElec SDR USB RTL and it works decent.
What are y’all outlook on this?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That question is about as broad as a barn door. What constitutes 'best'? Everything from design to applications - and even those topics are as broad - as well as technical specifications...like majoco says, the sky's the limit.

To start, take a look at our wiki articles on the subject. They are by no means complete - the world of SDRs is constantly changing - but it will give you some ideas on what is out there, and where we know of them, reviews of various levels (users to more detailed types)

Software Defined Radios - The RadioReference Wiki

It can be said that one man's best is another's poison. You're going to have to be more narrow in your definition if you want any kind of a meaningful answer

Mike

spongella

Premium Subscriber
A lot depends on your budget; you can start at $25 for a decent Nooelec or RTL-SDR.com SDR dongle which will cover from 25 megs to about 1.7 Gigs. If you want to add HF to that a Nooelec Upconverter would be needed which is about 40 bucks. That would get you up and going on a slim budget but you still need a decent antenna, computer software, pigtails/adapters and teach yourself how to use the software (it's not plug 'n play with this set-up). This system has worked fine for me but may not be your cup of tea as there's so much out there to choose from.

Check out the RTL-SDR.com website as there are a number of SDR reviews. Also keep in mind that new products are coming out all the time. Another good resource is Thomas Witherspoon's SWL Post.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.