Just asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Would it work? Yes.

Would it work well? Depends.

The big issue is that VHF and UHF frequencies (I'm guessing that's what you want to listen to) are generally line of sight. Putting antenna antenna like this up in your house isn't necessarily going to work any better than most other antennas. The key is you want your antenna to "see" the transmitting antenna. Stuff the antenna down inside a house, and it's not going to work as well as having an antenna outside and up high.

TV signals are traditionally transmitted with horizontal polarization. Land mobile radio (public safety, businesses, etc.) traditionally use vertical polarization. So while using a TV antenna is possible, it's going to suffer unless you mount it so it's vertically polarized.

I'll also say:
$89.99 for that is a rip off. There is usually just a "bowtie" shaped element in there with an amplifier. Inside your home, the amplifier may just amplify interference from TV's, computers, LED lighting, etc.

Ideally you want the antenna outside, up as high as you can safely get it, and in the clear.

If you have to use an indoor antenna, then get one that's designed for the frequencies you want to listen to. It'll be cheaper.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those WinRadio antennas will work, but they are expensive. You can get a suitable antenna MUCH cheaper.

What frequencies are you looking to listen to? We could make some suggestions, if that's what you are looking for.

se

Hi again.

I want to monitor any local agencies that I can here in Minto, and Fredericton New Brunswick. Plus I want to be able to monitor (any) frequency and decode HRPT and WEFAX as well as other modes too as I can with the RSP2 Pro.
If in the end only a wideband outdoor antenna is my only option, then so be it.

Sheldon.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
"Wideband" antennas are a bit of a misnomer. A radio that will cover all the HF band as well as VHF and UHF will (in most cases) work poorly across the spectrum.

You'd get better results with a basic outdoor wire antenna for HF use, and something like a discone for VHF and UHF.
Of course, those need to be outside to work well. You can -try- to make them work inside your home, but they can pick up a lot of interference from consumer electronics, and they'll suffer from poor performance by not being out in the open and up high.

I'd recommend researching an end fed long wire antenna on the internet for your WEFAX use, if it's the services that are on HF.

For the public safety agencies, research a discone type antenna. While not outstanding performers, they do work across a wide swath of radio spectrum from the lower end of the VHF spectrum well up into the UHF spectrum. They are sometimes a good compromise/all around antenna.

As for HRPT, you'll need a specialized antenna to grab that. I've never tried, so I'm not much help. Maybe someone else can make some suggestions.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you want an antenna that covers HF, VHF and UHF. For VHF and UHF a discone is a good antenna but check the specifications for the range you are interested in. Mine covers from 25 megs - several Gigs.

For WEFAX, assuming you want to listen to HF WEFAX - as mmckenna said an outdoor wire antenna is good or even a HF vertical would work. WEFAX signals such as those from the US Coast Guard come from many different areas such as Boston, Chesapeake Bay, California, even Hawaii. A good antenna will bring in those distant stations (depending on band conditions).

There is a great book called Just The FAX by Steve Handler which has many of the worldwide FAX stations listed in broadcast time and frequency format. I use it quite often.

Have fun monitoring the bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.